Least painful conversion SPD > ???

Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Guest
For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
-- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
with the SPDs.

So -- what with the Speedplays and the Looks and the Shimanos and the
Crank Bros (I'm not married to Road) and the Timeses -- how can a fellow
decide? How are them eggbeaters?

==========
* Don't believe me? I'll send you a picture of me naked.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

On Mar 25, 9:48 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
> got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
> pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
> another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
> are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
> unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
> trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
> looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
> when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
> in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
> important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
> with the SPDs.

Then stick with the SPDs, maybe get some fresh cleats, and overhaul
all the pedals. I run el cheapo Wellgo 535 clones on the road off the
road, wherever, just stompngo. Overhaul yearly and they keep on
truckin'.

What's buggin you about spds? Clean them up, lube them--and maybe put
some nice flat pedals on a couple bikes for a change--there's your
stupid cheap and elegant for ya.

On Mar 25, 11:31 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 9:48 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. WhenI
> > got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
> > pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
> > another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
> > are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
> > unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
> > trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
> > clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
> > Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
> > -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
> > looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
> > when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
> > in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
> > important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
> > with the SPDs.

> Then stick with the SPDs, maybe get some fresh cleats, and overhaul
> all the pedals. I run el cheapo Wellgo 535 clones on the road off the
> road, wherever, just stompngo. Overhaul yearly and they keep on
> truckin'.
>
> What's buggin you about spds? Clean them up, lube them--and maybe put
> some nice flat pedals on a couple bikes for a change--there's your
> stupid cheap and elegant for ya.- Hide quoted text -

Amen. I love my SPDs. The ones on my road bike are super tight, and
the ones on the MTBs that I do technical stuff with are real loose -
easy as pie to get out of. The only reason I ever consider switching
is ease of use in the mud. Then I look at the cost to refit my bikes
and shoes and I deal with a little mud stickiness.

On Mar 25, 10:42 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 11:31 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 25, 9:48 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
> > > got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
> > > pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
> > > another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
> > > are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
> > > unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
> > > trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
> > > clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
> > > Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
> > > -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
> > > looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
> > > when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
> > > in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
> > > important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
> > > with the SPDs.

> > Then stick with the SPDs, maybe get some fresh cleats, and overhaul
> > all the pedals. I run el cheapo Wellgo 535 clones on the road off the
> > road, wherever, just stompngo. Overhaul yearly and they keep on
> > truckin'.

> > What's buggin you about spds? Clean them up, lube them--and maybe put
> > some nice flat pedals on a couple bikes for a change--there's your
> > stupid cheap and elegant for ya.- Hide quoted text -

> Amen.  I love my SPDs.  The ones on my road bike are super tight, and
> the ones on the MTBs that I do technical stuff with are real loose -
> easy as pie to get out of.  The only reason I ever consider switching
> is ease of use in the mud.  Then I look at the cost to refit my bikes
> and shoes and I deal with a little mud stickiness.

A basic set of 'beaters is only $50 these days, and what I'd go for if
I was playing around in peanut butter more often. That said, I just
encounter a little mud when I take the fixie on fire roads and a
little Dupont Wax/teflon spray lube before a ride keeps everything
slick and happy.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:48:10 -0700, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
>got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
>pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
>another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
>are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
>unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
>trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
>clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
>Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
>-- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
>looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
>when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
>in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
>important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
>with the SPDs.
>
>So -- what with the Speedplays and the Looks and the Shimanos and the
>Crank Bros (I'm not married to Road) and the Timeses -- how can a fellow
>decide? How are them eggbeaters?

I went from a similar situation to Time pedals. The Alium are inexpensive and
very, very good. In fact they are so good they are a little better than the
SPDs. They have a ton of float, almost enough to make unclipping more difficult,
certainly different.

There is no "better" only different trade-offs. What about the SPDs do you want
to improve?

On 3/25/2008 8:31 AM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 25, 9:48 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
>> got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
>> pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
>> another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
>> are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
>> unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
>> trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
>> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
>> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
>> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
>> looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
>> when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
>> in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
>> important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
>> with the SPDs.

> Then stick with the SPDs, maybe get some fresh cleats, and overhaul
> all the pedals. I run el cheapo Wellgo 535 clones on the road off the
> road, wherever, just stompngo. Overhaul yearly and they keep on
> truckin'.
>
> What's buggin you about spds? Clean them up, lube them--and maybe put
> some nice flat pedals on a couple bikes for a change--there's your
> stupid cheap and elegant for ya.

Hey -- howdja know how I like my women?
--
Mike RJS

landotter wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
>> got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
>> pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
>> another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
>> are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
>> unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
>> trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
>> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
>> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
>> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
>> looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
>> when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
>> in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
>> important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
>> with the SPDs.

I know I'm responding out of order, but my news server doesn't seem to
have the original post anymore.

Anyhow, I switched to Speedplay Frogs from SPD because of knee pain. I
know that they're expensive (I have one pair that I move from bike to
bike!!), but worth it! Knee pain is no longer an issue. Lots of float,
zero resistance when getting out, very fast and easy to get in to. Not
so great in mud, though you're riding the roads so that's not so important.

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.

i just use the wellgo clones of the "mountain" version SPD's, even
though i never go off road. they're dirt cheap ($20 or so at nashbar i
think), pretty durable (i've had mine for several years anyway) and
easy to get in and out of, it's pretty automatic. plus you can have
shoes with recessed cleats.

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike Rocket J Squirrel <[email protected]> wrote:

> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
> got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
> pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
> another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
> are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
> unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
> trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
> looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
> when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
> in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
> important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
> with the SPDs.
>
> So -- what with the Speedplays and the Looks and the Shimanos and the
> Crank Bros (I'm not married to Road) and the Timeses -- how can a fellow
> decide? How are them eggbeaters?

Have you reduced the clamping force of the pedals?
I have two sets of SPD pedals and started both at
minimum clamping force, then increased force to
reduce inadvertent release. Minimum clamping force
is very easy to exit.

Cheapest alternative is toe clips and straps. You
are not planning a racing career, are you?
Look at these MKS GR-9 Platform Pedals

<http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html#platform>

Very comfortable.

--
Michael Press

On 3/25/2008 11:28 AM autopi wrote:

> i just use the wellgo clones of the "mountain" version SPD's, even
> though i never go off road. they're dirt cheap ($20 or so at nashbar i
> think), pretty durable (i've had mine for several years anyway) and
> easy to get in and out of, it's pretty automatic. plus you can have
> shoes with recessed cleats.

You know -- I forgot about having recessed cleats. I like that, the
proprietors of the restaurants we go to probably like it too, our
hardwood floor likes it.

--
Mike RJS, who will probably just stay with SPDs even though they look so
darn clunky.

On Mar 25, 1:28 pm, autopi <[email protected]> wrote:
> i just use the wellgo clones of the "mountain" version SPD's, even
> though i never go off road. they're dirt cheap ($20 or so at nashbar i
> think), pretty durable (i've had mine for several years anyway) and
> easy to get in and out of, it's pretty automatic. plus you can have
> shoes with recessed cleats.

This is the spd compatible one:

http://tinyurl.com/2lmu4n

It's a rebadged Wellgo. Outboard cart bearing, inboard greased
bushing. $35.

Their "special" model which is cheaper isn't spd compatible.

On Mar 25, 1:57 pm, Rex Kerr <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When I
> >> got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy two
> >> pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years ago,
> >> another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century, there
> >> are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch of
> >> unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads, not
> >> trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
> >> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
> >> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
> >> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
> >> looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists
> >> when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway
> >> in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so
> >> important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
> >> with the SPDs.

> I know I'm responding out of order, but my news server doesn't seem to
> have the original post anymore.
>
> Anyhow, I switched to Speedplay Frogs from SPD because of knee pain.  I
> know that they're expensive (I have one pair that I move from bike to
> bike!!), but worth it!  Knee pain is no longer an issue.  Lots of float,
> zero resistance when getting out, very fast and easy to get in to.  Not
> so great in mud, though you're riding the roads so that's not so important..
>
> --
> Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
> One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
>        - Dr. Edgar H. Earl, Rochester.  (~1892)- Hide quoted text -

How'd that work out for you? I've got a bum knee from a motorcycle
accident - took me off the fixie, possibly for good. I'd actually
consider switching if it'd ease up the load on the knee.

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs. When
> I got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it than buy
> two pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was many years
> ago, another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the 21st century,
> there are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with SPDs; and a bunch
> of unused pedals and some spare clips in the toolbox. And we ride roads,
> not trails. I'd really like to find something easier to get into and
> less clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a
> fortune. Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to
> unclip from -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get
> into w/o looking so we don't get run over from behind by other, faster,
> cyclists when leaving a red light on a sunny weekend morning here on
> Coast Highway in San Diego's North County. Being the lightest on the
> planet is not so important.* I don't think we need big platforms, our
> feets don't complain with the SPDs.
>
> So -- what with the Speedplays and the Looks and the Shimanos and the
> Crank Bros (I'm not married to Road) and the Timeses -- how can a fellow
> decide? How are them eggbeaters?
>
> ==========
> * Don't believe me? I'll send you a picture of me naked.

Hey, you left out Campy ProFit pedals - that's discrimination, isn't it!

I was having trouble with releasing from my Campy pedals, and one of my
riding friends said, "Have you lubed them?"

Well, I went home and did so - just a drop of lube where I thought it
might do some good on each right foot pedal (two bikes), and one pedal
is TOO easy to get out of, while the other is just right. Sometimes
it's amazing what proper - even minimal - maintenance can do for your
equipment.

Colin Campbell wrote:
> Hey, you left out Campy ProFit pedals - that's discrimination, isn't it!
>
> I was having trouble with releasing from my Campy pedals, and one of my
> riding friends said, "Have you lubed them?"
>
> Well, I went home and did so - just a drop of lube where I thought it
> might do some good on each right foot pedal (two bikes), and one pedal
> is TOO easy to get out of, while the other is just right. Sometimes
> it's amazing what proper - even minimal - maintenance can do for your
> equipment.

Campagnolo ProFit is fine product. Let's not forget it's parent, Look,
also a great system. Both are exceptionally easy to engage/release and
especially safer as they don't pull out unexpectedly as SPD can do.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
>> Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
>>> For some reason, probably cost, my first clipless pedals were SPDs.
>>> When I got a second bike, it was less expensive to add SPDs to it
>>> than buy two pair of some other pedal as well as the cleats. That was
>>> many years ago, another wife, a bankruptcy, another life. Now, in the
>>> 21st century, there are two shoes and six bikes between us, all with
>>> SPDs; and a bunch of unused pedals and some spare clips in the
>>> toolbox. And we ride roads, not trails. I'd really like to find
>>> something easier to get into and less clunky than SPDs, and I'd like
>>> the changeover not to cost a fortune. Because of a banged-up ankle
>>> and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from -- no major torque when
>>> twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o looking so we don't get
>>> run over from behind by other, faster, cyclists when leaving a red
>>> light on a sunny weekend morning here on Coast Highway in San Diego's
>>> North County. Being the lightest on the planet is not so important.*
>>> I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain with
>>> the SPDs.
>>> So -- what with the Speedplays and the Looks and the Shimanos and the
>>> Crank Bros (I'm not married to Road) and the Timeses -- how can a
>>> fellow decide? How are them eggbeaters?
>>> * Don't believe me? I'll send you a picture of me naked.

> Colin Campbell wrote:
>> Hey, you left out Campy ProFit pedals - that's discrimination, isn't it!
>>
>> I was having trouble with releasing from my Campy pedals, and one of
>> my riding friends said, "Have you lubed them?"
>>
>> Well, I went home and did so - just a drop of lube where I thought it
>> might do some good on each right foot pedal (two bikes), and one pedal
>> is TOO easy to get out of, while the other is just right. Sometimes
>> it's amazing what proper - even minimal - maintenance can do for your
>> equipment.

> Campagnolo ProFit is fine product. Let's not forget it's parent, Look,
> also a great system. Both are exceptionally easy to engage/release and
> especially safer as they don't pull out unexpectedly as SPD can do.

Yeah, well, NOW they're easy to engage / release after the lubrication....

I keep thinking though, that road systems need to be more "walkable".
That's sure an advantage my Shimano-using friends have.

On Mar 25, 5:33 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:

> I keep thinking though, that road systems need to be more "walkable".
> That's sure an advantage my Shimano-using friends have.

The "pontoon" cleats on the Ultegra 66xx (and whatever the Doo-race
#'s are) make walking a whole lot more secure than (old) Look or Campy
Profit cleats, IME. They're not SPD sandals by any means, but better
than pre-Keo Looks and Campys for store stops and the like.

Profit? I really liked Profits, but replacing plastic and metal cleat
parts didn't always have the wonderful results desired. Replace pedal
springs, too? That gets to be a small pile of money. The Ultegras
don't seem to take well to repeated in/out IRT the springs/whatnot in
the pedal itself, losing tension compared to the left pedal, but they
(my right pedals) have responded well to increasing release tension.
--D-y

[email protected] wrote:

> How'd that work out for you? I've got a bum knee from a motorcycle
> accident - took me off the fixie, possibly for good. I'd actually
> consider switching if it'd ease up the load on the knee.

They're great. I remember one organized ride where I sagged out at 50
miles because my knee was in so much pain. It was so bad that I could
feel heat radiating from it for hours. The frogs instantly solved the
issue and I've had no pain whatsoever ever since... one small detail
though... I ride toe out, big time... that, and size 14 shoes means that
I was striking my heel on every rotation. I had to buy extra long
spindles (special order from Speedplay) and have to sometimes grind my
shoe a bit to get the cleat mounted in a sufficiently rotated position.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
>clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
>Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
>-- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
>looking ...I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
>with the SPDs.

Your description of you requirements and your current lack of
complaint about SPD says you should stick with them. They already have
about the easiest entry and lowest exit torque

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

On 3/25/2008 4:18 PM Kinky Cowboy wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:48:10 -0700, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to find something easier to get into and less
>> clunky than SPDs, and I'd like the changeover not to cost a fortune.
>> Because of a banged-up ankle and knee, they have to be easy to unclip from
>> -- no major torque when twisting out, and butt-simple to get into w/o
>> looking ...I don't think we need big platforms, our feets don't complain
>> with the SPDs.

> Your description of you requirements and your current lack of
> complaint about SPD says you should stick with them. They already have
> about the easiest entry and lowest exit torque

Point(s) taken. I reckon we'll stick to what works for us!

Many thanks to all who contributed ideas to this.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

In article
<9be8e75c-c660-4f3c-96fd-e298283d9554@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 10:42 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 11:31 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Then stick with the SPDs, maybe get some fresh cleats, and overhaul
> > > all the pedals. I run el cheapo Wellgo 535 clones on the road off the
> > > road, wherever, just stompngo. Overhaul yearly and they keep on
> > > truckin'.

> > > What's buggin you about spds? Clean them up, lube them--and maybe put
> > > some nice flat pedals on a couple bikes for a change--there's your
> > > stupid cheap and elegant for ya.- Hide quoted text -

> > Amen.  I love my SPDs.  The ones on my road bike are super tight, and
> > the ones on the MTBs that I do technical stuff with are real loose -
> > easy as pie to get out of.  The only reason I ever consider switching
> > is ease of use in the mud.  Then I look at the cost to refit my bikes
> > and shoes and I deal with a little mud stickiness.

> A basic set of 'beaters is only $50 these days, and what I'd go for if
> I was playing around in peanut butter more often. That said, I just
> encounter a little mud when I take the fixie on fire roads and a
> little Dupont Wax/teflon spray lube before a ride keeps everything
> slick and happy.

They're less than that when the sale-ing is good. I have seen Crank
Brothers Smarty pedals advertised online for $35, and personally picked
up two sets for $12 ea. at the last Boxing Day sale. Mind you, Smarty is
their "value leader" pedal, a bodied, non-rebuildable pedal with a
sleeve bearing on one end. It's a super-cheap reinterpretation of the
Candy.

I converted to Crank Brothers pedals for all uses from SPD for the sole
reason that I race cyclocross. In those conditions, the Egg Beaters will
clear mud and accept entry in circumstances where the SPDs get very
clogged indeed. Some CXers use Time pedals, and a few serious riders use
high-end SPDs: the latest design has a more open spindle area that looks
like it would shed mud better. I don't know what they're like in
practice.

If I had not started racing cyclocross, I would not have bothered
changing from SPDs. SPDs are almost always the right answer.

In theory, the Crank Brothers design has no vertical release mode, thus
allaying Andrew Muzi's concerns about that issue with SPDs (in practice,
premature release for me was rare, and almost always brought on because
my ankle was doing something funny).

I tried Look Delta cleats (using Shimano-branded pedals) and a
non-compatable Look-like from Exustar. Both worked fine, but appeared to
offer no performance benefits versus SPD or Crank Brothers. Given that,
I went back to two-bolt designs, because unwalkable shoes are a pain.

Now, I'm happy. I have three active sets of shoes (old faithful AXOs for
every day, fancy new Adidas for race day, Exustar winter boots for the
rain; btw, winter boots are something I should have bought years ago)
that work for any and all rides. I use the same set of fairly racy shoes
for road, crit, CX, and MTB. I can get off my bike and walk around after
the race.

For users of Crank Brothers pedals, the Egg Beater is light and elegant,
but for everyday use I prefer the Candy/Smarty design, because it is
more forgiving when you miss pedal entry and because it works passably
well while ridden with normal cleatless shoes.

Crank Brothers pedals are slightly notorious for wearing the soles of
shoes: in theory the egg bars are not supposed to press hard on your
sole, as the main point of contact is between the middle of the cleat
and the spring around the spindle. In practice, Crank Bros includes
little plastic sole shields (they go between the cleat and the sole)
with every cleat, and after a bit of use, you will see substantial wear
on that shield which would otherwise be your soles wearing out.

Egg Beaters seem to offer lots of rotational float almost to the release
point; I perceive it as floatier than the SPD.

In sum: I recommend SPDs to everyone, Crank Brothers to people who spend
a lot of time running through mud and sand, and three-bolt cleats to
people who like rapid cleat wear and falling down when walking.