General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Leftover roast chicken

Started by Jen · · Last activity · 51 posts · 1,518 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 September 2005
Last activity
28 September 2005
Original author
Jen
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,518
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–51 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > zxcvbob <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    > > Jen wrote:
    > > > We almost always have roast chicken on Sundays, my daughter


    insists,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but we
    > > > almost always have some leftover. Half the time it goes into the
    fridge,
    > > > but then we forget about until it's too late. But sometimes I'll


    make

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > > chicken and corn soup (the only soup my daughter likes), and


    sometimes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've
    > > > been really naughty and bought a packet thingy of rice stuff, and
    added the
    > > > chicken to it. I've just found a chicken fried rice recipe, so


    I'll

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    try
    > > > that tonight.
    > > >
    > > > But does anyone have any other ideas for leftover roast chicken?
    > > >
    > > > Jen
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I'm making chicken and cheese enchaladas from leftover roast chicken
    > > right now. They're almost done.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Bob
    >
    > Damn that sounds good... ;-)
    > I've been dieting since Jan. 4th. I'm about ready for a mexican food
    > orgy. <sigh>
    >
    > Chicken tacos would be good too.

    Hmmmm!

    I like these - cold wheat tortilla wraps made with things like leftover
    meats. Just lay some salad veggies on a tortilla, then the chicken, then


    add

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sauce of choice. For me, with chicken, it would likely be mayo mixed


    with a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    little crushed garlic, black pepper and a few dashes hotsauce or finely
    minced fresh chiles - then just fold and roll that sucker up and chomp


    on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it.

    Shaun aRe

    I've done that... :-)
    Our local grocery makes a WONDERful low carb flour type tortilla, only 4
    grams net carbs per, and they don't taste like cardboard.

    I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    beans again! ;-d

    Yummy and VERY low carb.

    Tacos, minus the tortillas, are not terribly high carb anyway.
    Spiced meat on a bed of lettuce with a little chopped tomato and some
    cheese and taco/chili sauce and instant low carb "taco" salad.

    Ayooooo! All sounds good to me!

    Quoted message said:

    Hmmmmmmm... A good weekend idea for some of that hot sauce you sent. ;-d

    Cheers!

    Brilliant! So, how are you and that sauce getting on then, no fights yet?
    <G!>

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

    Its HOT!!!
    But tasty. :-)
    I'm having some right now on a bit of Steak Tartar.
    Was in the mood this morning so bought a small chunk
    of totally lean rump roast, cubed it up and marinated
    it in a little of your hot sauce with just a bit of
    soy sauce for more salt and a quick sqeeze of lime.

    I get in the mood for raw meat sometimes so indulge myself.
    It has to be TOTALLY lean tho' as raw beef fat is nasty.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jen said:

    We almost always have roast chicken on Sundays, my daughter insists, but we
    almost always have some leftover. Half the time it goes into the fridge,
    but then we forget about until it's too late. But sometimes I'll make
    chicken and corn soup (the only soup my daughter likes), and sometimes I've
    been really naughty and bought a packet thingy of rice stuff, and added the
    chicken to it. I've just found a chicken fried rice recipe, so I'll try
    that tonight.

    But does anyone have any other ideas for leftover roast chicken?

    My folks would always make sandwiches out of left over roast chicken. It
    simple and tasty. Just slices of chicken on wheat toast with some
    lettuce and tomato.

    If you make pizza at home, you could always use chopped up roast chicken
    as a topping on your pizza. You could also use chopped roast chicken in
    an omelet with some of your favorite vegetables. Using it in a stir fry
    would probably work out well too.

  3. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmmmmmmm... A good weekend idea for some of that hot sauce you sent.


    ;-d

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Cheers!

    Brilliant! So, how are you and that sauce getting on then, no fights


    yet?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <G!>

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

    Its HOT!!!

    YUP! You shoulda seen it before I *majorly* toned it down and fruited it
    up - I doubled the volume of it with mango and limes! Also, I made an almost
    pure mash out of those chiles when I first got them, just mashed with lots
    of sea salt then flash heat treated. One match head sized drop would have
    even most chile-heads crying. That uhhmm, lasted quite a while, heheheheh...

    Quoted message said:

    But tasty. :-)

    I work at it! Hot and tasty - I just modelled it after my awesome self LOL!
    ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    I'm having some right now on a bit of Steak Tartar.
    Was in the mood this morning so bought a small chunk
    of totally lean rump roast, cubed it up and marinated
    it in a little of your hot sauce with just a bit of
    soy sauce for more salt and a quick sqeeze of lime.

    OooOooo, that sounds *delicious*! Might have to try that...

    Quoted message said:

    I get in the mood for raw meat sometimes so indulge myself.
    It has to be TOTALLY lean tho' as raw beef fat is nasty.

    Cheers!

    Heheheheh, no kidding! I love my steaks quite rare a lot of the time, but
    the fat isn't up to being done like that. What I'll tend to do if the edge
    strip if thick, is, with tongues, hold that end down in a very hot frying
    pan until it's done nicely, then cook the steak rare as normal - comes out
    delicious to my tastes.

    Cheers yerself gal!

    Shaun aRe

  4. "Jen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We almost always have roast chicken on Sundays, my daughter insists, but


    we

    Quoted message said:

    almost always have some leftover. Half the time it goes into the fridge,
    but then we forget about until it's too late. But sometimes I'll make
    chicken and corn soup (the only soup my daughter likes), and sometimes


    I've

    Quoted message said:

    been really naughty and bought a packet thingy of rice stuff, and added


    the

    Quoted message said:

    chicken to it. I've just found a chicken fried rice recipe, so I'll try
    that tonight.

    But does anyone have any other ideas for leftover roast chicken?

    Jen

    Just remembered something else I used to do with it - if there's enough to
    cut fairly thick pieces, fry it in /very/ hot oil until the outside is all
    crisped up and dark golden, serve it over a bed of lettuce/mixed salad (with
    black olives! Heheheh...) and sprinkle with a vinaigrette - my favourite for
    this is 50/50 EVOO and vinegar, a 1/4 to 1/2 of which is framboise vinaigre
    (the rest usually apple cider), lightly herbed (your choice of herbs - herbs
    de provence works for me, as does just fresh crushed basil and thyme),
    cracked black pepper, a little crushed garlic, a smidgen of cayenne,
    partially emulsified with a drop of mayo.

    In fact I'm gonna have to make this tonight or tomorrow now!

    Cheers ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    > Hmmmmmmm... A good weekend idea for some of that hot sauce you sent.


    ;-d

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Cheers!

    Brilliant! So, how are you and that sauce getting on then, no fights


    yet?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <G!>

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

    Its HOT!!!

    YUP! You shoulda seen it before I *majorly* toned it down and fruited it
    up - I doubled the volume of it with mango and limes! Also, I made an almost
    pure mash out of those chiles when I first got them, just mashed with lots
    of sea salt then flash heat treated. One match head sized drop would have
    even most chile-heads crying. That uhhmm, lasted quite a while, heheheheh...

    All the way thru I'll bet. <lol>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    But tasty. :-)

    I work at it! Hot and tasty - I just modelled it after my awesome self LOL!
    ',;~}~

    Or Kath? <G>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'm having some right now on a bit of Steak Tartar.
    Was in the mood this morning so bought a small chunk
    of totally lean rump roast, cubed it up and marinated
    it in a little of your hot sauce with just a bit of
    soy sauce for more salt and a quick sqeeze of lime.

    OooOooo, that sounds *delicious*! Might have to try that...

    I finished it for lunch about 2 am this morning at work. ;-d

    Funny, that cut of beef would be tricky to cook without being tough, but
    raw it was tender and fine!

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I get in the mood for raw meat sometimes so indulge myself.
    It has to be TOTALLY lean tho' as raw beef fat is nasty.

    Cheers!

    Heheheheh, no kidding! I love my steaks quite rare a lot of the time, but
    the fat isn't up to being done like that. What I'll tend to do if the edge
    strip if thick, is, with tongues, hold that end down in a very hot frying
    pan until it's done nicely, then cook the steak rare as normal - comes out
    delicious to my tastes.

    Good idea!
    Raw beef fat is gross.
    Carmelized/fried/grilled well done is delicious.

    Cheers!

    Quoted message said:


    Cheers yerself gal!

    Shaun aRe


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  6. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    beans again! ;-d

    Yummy and VERY low carb.

    Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    beans again! ;-d

    Yummy and VERY low carb.

    Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?

    How much are they?
    I figure I can just plant some of the dry beans I bought from Eden. :-)
    Beans are beans are seeds IMHO?

    I've grown beans from the grocery store in the past.....
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    beans again! ;-d

    Yummy and VERY low carb.

    Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?

    How much are they?
    I figure I can just plant some of the dry beans I bought from Eden. :-)
    Beans are beans are seeds IMHO?

    I've grown beans from the grocery store in the past.....

    I haven't seen any dried ones around here. Johnny's price is 225
    seeds for $3.05. If you want more, it's 50 pounds for $367.60. I am
    planning to get some seeds and be able to pick them fresh.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:46:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    >Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    >beans again! ;-d
    >
    >Yummy and VERY low carb.

    Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?

    How much are they?
    I figure I can just plant some of the dry beans I bought from Eden. :-)
    Beans are beans are seeds IMHO?

    I've grown beans from the grocery store in the past.....

    I haven't seen any dried ones around here. Johnny's price is 225
    seeds for $3.05. If you want more, it's 50 pounds for $367.60. I am
    planning to get some seeds and be able to pick them fresh.

    Uh, Eden ended up running 25 lbs. for $47.00 shipped.
    That's a helluva lot cheaper. ;-)

    And they DO grow. They are just dried beans.

    I'll sell you 1 lb. of what I have stored for $3.00 plus whatever it
    costs to ship. Prolly run me $5.00 for Priority mail?

    Thanks anyhoo!

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    The Cook <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:46:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    > >I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some eggs.
    > >Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally eat
    > >beans again! ;-d
    > >
    > >Yummy and VERY low carb.
    >
    >
    > Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?

    How much are they?
    I figure I can just plant some of the dry beans I bought from Eden. :-)
    Beans are beans are seeds IMHO?

    I've grown beans from the grocery store in the past.....

    I haven't seen any dried ones around here. Johnny's price is 225
    seeds for $3.05. If you want more, it's 50 pounds for $367.60. I am
    planning to get some seeds and be able to pick them fresh.

    Uh, Eden ended up running 25 lbs. for $47.00 shipped.
    That's a helluva lot cheaper. ;-)

    And they DO grow. They are just dried beans.

    I'll sell you 1 lb. of what I have stored for $3.00 plus whatever it
    costs to ship. Prolly run me $5.00 for Priority mail?

    Thanks anyhoo!

    Cheers!

    Send me an email. The Yahoo account is active.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Cook said:

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:28:47 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >In article <[email hidden]>,
    > The Cook <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:46:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    >> <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I like to wrap up chiles, beans and cheese in those along with some
    >> >eggs.
    >> >Thanks to Pastorio and his intro. to black soy beans, I can finally
    >> >eat
    >> >beans again! ;-d
    >> >
    >> >Yummy and VERY low carb.
    >>
    >>
    >> Did you know that Johnny's Seeds has black soy bean seeds?
    >
    >How much are they?
    >I figure I can just plant some of the dry beans I bought from Eden. :-)
    >Beans are beans are seeds IMHO?
    >
    >I've grown beans from the grocery store in the past.....

    I haven't seen any dried ones around here. Johnny's price is 225
    seeds for $3.05. If you want more, it's 50 pounds for $367.60. I am
    planning to get some seeds and be able to pick them fresh.

    Uh, Eden ended up running 25 lbs. for $47.00 shipped.
    That's a helluva lot cheaper. ;-)

    And they DO grow. They are just dried beans.

    I'll sell you 1 lb. of what I have stored for $3.00 plus whatever it
    costs to ship. Prolly run me $5.00 for Priority mail?

    Thanks anyhoo!

    Cheers!

    Send me an email. The Yahoo account is active.

    E-mail sent. :-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.