Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

LegendC or Map 60C for bike riding

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 13 posts · 552 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 September 2005
Last activity
15 October 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
552
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I cant decide between the LegendC or Map60c for bike
    riding.

    I like the smaller size of the Legend C..... but the
    more memory of the Map 60C

    Plus the diff between antennas (patch vs quad helix)
    makes me wonder of the LegendC is better for bicycle
    riding as the unit will be mounted on the handlebars.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I cant decide between the LegendC or Map60c for bike
    riding.

    I like the smaller size of the Legend C..... but the
    more memory of the Map 60C

    Plus the diff between antennas (patch vs quad helix)
    makes me wonder of the LegendC is better for bicycle
    riding as the unit will be mounted on the handlebars.

    I don't know about the Legend, but my Garman Map 60CS flew out of its
    mount when I hit a pothole and bounced off the pavement. I picked it up,
    turned it back on because it had shut down, and continued on my way with
    the unit functioning well. I had to loosen the spokes and re-round the
    wheel. There was a slight scuffing on one of the rubber edges of the
    GPS. It has been a couple of months, and it still works fine.

    --
    Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
    ECHIP, Inc. ---
    Randomness comes in bunches.

  3. There are a few threads on the best GPS for biking in just the past few
    days. Check them out. I'm a very happy Legend C owner.

  4. I've had a Garmin for 10 years during which time it has survived countless
    accidents, droppings and drenchings.
    However, 2 minutes in the hands of a 4 year old daughter and she'd found the
    factory reset option that I didn't even know existed.
    Lost 10 years worth of "souvenirs" in the form of waypoints :-(

    "Bob Wheeler" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know about the Legend, but my Garman Map 60CS flew out of its
    mount when I hit a pothole and bounced off the pavement. I picked it up,
    turned it back on because it had shut down, and continued on my way with
    the unit functioning well. I had to loosen the spokes and re-round the
    wheel. There was a slight scuffing on one of the rubber edges of the GPS.
    It has been a couple of months, and it still works fine.

  5. It is disappointing that the new color eTrex models are limited to
    24MB. I have an older Vista which also has 24MB and it holds a sizeable
    amount of map data (Most of NY and CT) but this is without any
    autorouting data. The autorouting feature of the new units consumes a
    lot of additional memory space. It has been a while since I downloaded
    anything to my Vista but I recall that autorouting would require an
    additional 10MB when the memory is maxxed out with 24MB of maps. This
    data has no value on the Vista so I don't download it. I'm sure the
    autorouting is nice and there are times I wished I had it but you can
    make due without it if you want to maximize map coverage.

    I believe you can still elect to disable the autorouting data when you
    download maps to Garmin's newer models so that you can save memory for
    more maps. You can also conserve more memory by using older versions of
    the Garmin software which have less detailed but still usable maps. I
    believe Metroguide V4 will work with USB devices. I don't know about
    Roads & Recreation.

    I have the most fun with the mapping on the Vista when riding an
    unfamiliar route to a familiar destination. Rather than bother with
    planning out a route on the computer I just navigate directly to the
    destination. This gives you a rubber band line that you can follow for
    general guidance but you can pick and chose the best road as you go
    along and throw in any detours than look interesting. This gives you
    the ability to explore freely without having to stop and consult a
    paper map all the time.

    I personally wouldn't want to deal with the added bulk of the 60C on
    the handlebars. The protruding antenna is asking to get knocked or
    snagged by something. You may have problems mounting a handlebar bag
    along with the 60C. The eTrex is easier to stuff into a jersey pocket
    when you need to leave the bike unattended.

    I do experience reception problems with the Vista, mainly around some
    (not all) power lines and dense tree cover. This was only an
    inconvenience once when riding through an unfamiliar park with some
    nasty interference from poorly maintained power lines that ran parallel
    to the road for long stretches. The helical antenna isn't optimal in
    the more horizontal position of a bar mount but may still be better
    than the patch antenna. I don't think the improved reception should be
    that much of a deciding factor.

    I recommend you get the LegendC or VistaC since they are the only
    mapping units on the market that have the right form factor and a good
    bicycle mount.

  6. peter said:

    BTW, the pressure sensor of the VistaC
    or 60cs are nice for providing an elevation profile of the ride and
    data like cumulative climb.

    Would you still advise that if living in relatively
    flat Missouri?

  7. POHB said:

    I've had a Garmin for 10 years during which time it has survived countless
    accidents, droppings and drenchings.
    However, 2 minutes in the hands of a 4 year old daughter and she'd found the
    factory reset option that I didn't even know existed.
    Lost 10 years worth of "souvenirs" in the form of waypoints :-(

    Funny story!

    Thanks for sharing!

  8. Quoted message said:

    There are a few threads on the best GPS for biking in just the past few
    days. Check them out. I'm a very happy Legend C owner.

    So you didn't feel you needed the "sensors" of the
    Vista C series?

  9. I know it's not one of the two choices you mentioned, but I use a
    Foretrex 101. It came with a handlebar mount, but I just use the wrist
    velcro strap around some styrofoam pipe insulation on the handlebar.

    Quoted message said:

    I cant decide between the LegendC or Map60c for bike
    riding.

    I like the smaller size of the Legend C..... but the
    more memory of the Map 60C

    Plus the diff between antennas (patch vs quad helix)
    makes me wonder of the LegendC is better for bicycle
    riding as the unit will be mounted on the handlebars.

  10. Veggie said:

    I know it's not one of the two choices you mentioned, but I use a
    Foretrex 101. It came with a handlebar mount, but I just use the wrist
    velcro strap around some styrofoam pipe insulation on the handlebar.

    Well the reason I haven't considered the FoerRunner or
    Geko units is no way to insert any maps into them at
    all. Yes?

    And Id want a unit that has some maps in it

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I cant decide between the LegendC or Map60c for bike
    riding.

    I like the smaller size of the Legend C..... but the
    more memory of the Map 60C

    Plus the diff between antennas (patch vs quad helix)
    makes me wonder of the LegendC is better for bicycle
    riding as the unit will be mounted on the handlebars.

    I cannot comment on Map 60C, but I am fairly happy with my Legend C.
    I use it on road bike using standard handlebar mount from Germin. So far no
    problem.
    The reception is very good, although it occasionally lose satellite in woods
    and fogs.
    The 24MBytes memory is limiting to about 100-150miles in my area when you
    travel straight.
    For single day ride, this is not a problem at all, since you are likely to
    do a round trip.
    This limitation becomes an issue about once a year for me.
    Legend C has a GPS based altitude reading. It isn't very accurate, but good
    enough for me.
    The size is small enough and perfect for hiking and biking.
    For car navigation, the screen may be too small to drive safely.
    Please keep in mind that the map software is not cheap.

  12. Quoted message said:
    Veggie said:

    I know it's not one of the two choices you mentioned, but I use a
    Foretrex 101. It came with a handlebar mount, but I just use the wrist
    velcro strap around some styrofoam pipe insulation on the handlebar.

    Well the reason I haven't considered the FoerRunner or
    Geko units is no way to insert any maps into them at
    all. Yes?

    And Id want a unit that has some maps in it


    Yes, you're right. All it can do is take waypoints and routes, but no maps.

  13. A little late to the party, but...

    I expect you'll be happy with either one. I hear that the new eTrex
    models have better reception than the 60CS, which is what I own. If
    you want to keep track of elevation gain, even if you live in a place
    with only minor hills, I suggest something with a barometric altimeter,
    like the 60CS. Elevation data from GPS satellites alone is very poor.

    Rich Owings
    http://www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com/
    http://www.GPStracklog.com/

    "We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as
    others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.