Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Let's refer the good guys !!

Started by John Clarke · · Last activity · 15 posts · 1,697 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
23 February 2003
Last activity
2 March 2003
Original author
John Clarke
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,697
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
    had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else from
    someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and elsewhere
    on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those future
    decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

  2. Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to deal with:-

    lickbike.comindex.htm

    At least it is great if you don't have to deal with the owner, as he is very abrupt and impersonal
    on the phone but the employees are really good and helpful to deal with. Also, the prices are very
    competitive.

    Lewis.

    home.earthlink.netindex.html

    .................................

    "John Clarke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
    had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
    from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
    elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
    future decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

  3. John, We have lot's of good posts about positive experiences, as well as bad. Some persons have bad
    experiences with same bikes, suppliers, bikers as others have good experiences with. Experience
    quality usually depends on both supplier and supplied.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "John Clarke"

    Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
    had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking


    to

    Quoted message said:

    buy something else from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I


    rely

    Quoted message said:

    a lot on what I read on this NG, and elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would
    be helpful in helping me make those future decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

  4. [email hidden] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to deal with:-

    lickbike.comindex.htm

    I've dealt well with the following: gaerlan.comgaerlan.com speedgoat.comspeedgoat.com
    supergo.comsupergo.com pricepoint.compricepoint.com

    as well as the aforementioned Nashbar & Performance(whose tech guys can both be kind of pissy
    sometimes), Jenson ~ good and Power-On ~ excellent.

    rorschandt

  5. In Australia Dean Woods Direct www.deanwoods.com.au have given me excellent service for bike bits
    and pieces.

    Paul W

  6. Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers.

    Seems to be NG nature to run things down constructively and deconstructively. I have been guilty
    of both. I, too, like your idea of the positive experiences. Here are some that I have had GREAT
    luck with:

    - Burley
    - Calhoun Cycles
    - Hostel Shoppe

    Derek

  7. rorschandt said:

    [email hidden] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, John, I'll second your choices and add one that I have always found to be great to
    deal with:-

    lickbike.comindex.htm


    I've dealt well with the following: gaerlan.comgaerlan.com speedgoat.comspeedgoat.com
    supergo.comsupergo.com pricepoint.compricepoint.com

    as well as the aforementioned Nashbar & Performance(whose tech guys can both be kind of pissy
    sometimes), Jenson ~ good and Power-On ~ excellent.

    I've tried to order from many of these companies without much success
    - some don't take overseas credit card orders, and others only ship by FedEx and UPS. (USPS tends to
    be much cheaper.) Admittedly some of the blame maybe on my credit card company - one or two of the
    shops refused my order saying they verify my address. In any case, I've had much better luck with
    smaller shops like Hostel Shoppe, Calhoun Cycles and Peter White Cycles. Does anyone know other
    mail-order shops that are friendly towards overseas customers?

    In the UK, St John Street Cycles is a good mail-order shop to deal with. Great web site
    (sjscycles.comsjscycles.com), reasonable policy towards overseas orders, and fast response to
    e-mail queries.

    Ken Kobayashi [email hidden] solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jppersonal

  8. some folks who have treated me well:

    Calhoun Cycle RANS Nashbar The BikeRack (St. Charles, IL) Rapid Transit Cycles (Chicago) Tern of the
    Wheel (Bradley, IL- my lbs)

    and believe it or not,

    BikeE (RIP)

    rich westerman

    V2

  9. I posted most of my experiences, but here goes with a some anecdotal stuff:

    Here's who I've ordered alot of stuff from (5+ items): www.jensonusa.com My personal favourite; keep
    you updated of order status, usually have the best prices, never had problems. I've found them to be
    quick, efficient, reliable and the best value. I've ordered at least 20 items from them.

    www.nashbar.com Haven't ordered from them for about 8 months now, but they are very good to deal
    with. Returns are accepted no problems, web site is reliable. Not always the cheapest for name brand
    items, but sometimes you can get really good Nashbar branded stuff (be wary though, not all Nashbar
    brand stuff is that good).

    www.performancebike.com Haven't ordered from them for about a year or two now. They seem to be very
    good to deal with -reputable, but a little on the expensive side for name brand items, and
    Performance brand items don't seem to be too value packed either.

    Here are more the occasional purchases (<2 items):

    www.universalcycles.com Ordered a suspension fork from them a couple of years ago that went into the
    black hole of orders. Got the impression they were honest but did not have the systems in place to
    keep a consumer updated of an order. I always tell people to follow up with a phone call when
    ordering from them, though of course things might have changed by now.

    www.pricepoint.com and www.supergo.com Very good prices. Ordered a couple of items from both of
    these stores in the last couple of years with no problems. But Jensonusa with the prices and order
    status mean I'm not tempted to use them often unless there's something that can't be passed by.
    Can't recall if I had an order status or not, but the web sites are relatively slick.

    www.cambriabike.com Ordered one item a year ago, no problems. I thought the web site was klunky
    though, and I couldn't see the status of my order.

    All in all, my nod is for JensonUSA -I always seem to end up ordering there.

    cheers

    Nige

    "John Clarke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
    had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
    from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
    elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
    future decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

  10. I've dealt with many of the above and concur. Permit me to also add:
    aebike.comindex.cfm

  11. "John Clarke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance i've
    had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
    from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
    elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make those
    future decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

    While he doesn't have a web site any longer, if you are looking for recumbent parts and knowledge,
    it doesn't get any better than Zach Kaplan Cycles. Zach is extremely knowledgeable about almost any
    aspect of recumbents and particularly about tires or tyres as Zach would. Zach can get you any part
    that you need for your recumbent and is quick to give you realistic advice as to what works and
    doesn't work and do so at competititive prices. While I have several pretty good LBS, they dont know
    recumbents, and I generally prefer to use Zach because I wont be purchasing some part that I will
    have to return because it is inappropriate for my needs. Zach can be reached at

    Zach Kaplan Cycles Alameda, Northern California, North America 510-522-BENT (2368)
    [email hidden]

  12. (Pat) said:


    While he doesn't have a web site any longer, if you are looking for recumbent parts and
    knowledge, it doesn't get any better than Zach Kaplan Cycles. Zach is extremely knowledgeable
    about almost any

    Hi there, I second this .. in spades! ... Zach is very, very good.

    I have also had very good experience with St John Street Cycles in the UK. They have a lot of
    "unusual" stuff, the price is right and they ship reasonably quickly, even to the US.

    They are at:- sjscycles.comsjscycles.com

    cheers pete

    --
    pete hilton [email hidden]

    IsaBella --- ICE Explorer #1070

  13. For parts: Settle Cycles: settlecycles.co.ukshop Wiggle: wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    Gearshift: gearshift.co.ukgearshift.co.uk

    For bikes: Bikefix: bikefix.co.ukbikefix.html FutureCycles:
    futurecycles.co.ukfuturecycles.co.uk

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.crosswinds.netlegslarry.crosswinds.net
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  14. [email hidden] (Nigey) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I posted most of my experiences, but here goes with a some anecdotal stuff:

    Here's who I've ordered alot of stuff from (5+ items): www.jensonusa.com My personal
    favourite; keep you updated of order status, usually have the best prices, never had problems.
    I've found them to be quick, efficient, reliable and the best value. I've ordered at least 20
    items from them.

    www.nashbar.com Haven't ordered from them for about 8 months now, but they are very good to deal
    with. Returns are accepted no problems, web site is reliable. Not always the cheapest for name
    brand items, but sometimes you can get really good Nashbar branded stuff (be wary though, not all
    Nashbar brand stuff is that good).

    www.performancebike.com

    I just bought front and rear panniers from Nashbar. These are uerthane coated tarp like material
    very similiar to the Vaude waterproof roll-top panniers I was about to buy. The Nashbar panniers
    were about a third of the cost and have greatly exceeded my expectations.

    I ride an EZ-1 and will be on the Bike Florida trip in a couple of weeks. The smaller front panniers
    mount on the factory racks under the seat. I modified a factory rear rack to take the larger rear
    panniers. I sure do love my bent.

    Quoted message said:

    Haven't ordered from them for about a year or two now. They seem to be very good to deal with
    -reputable, but a little on the expensive side for name brand items, and Performance brand items
    don't seem to be too value packed either.

    Here are more the occasional purchases (<2 items):

    www.universalcycles.com Ordered a suspension fork from them a couple of years ago that went into
    the black hole of orders. Got the impression they were honest but did not have the systems in
    place to keep a consumer updated of an order. I always tell people to follow up with a phone call
    when ordering from them, though of course things might have changed by now.

    www.pricepoint.com and www.supergo.com Very good prices. Ordered a couple of items from both of
    these stores in the last couple of years with no problems. But Jensonusa with the prices and order
    status mean I'm not tempted to use them often unless there's something that can't be passed by.
    Can't recall if I had an order status or not, but the web sites are relatively slick.

    www.cambriabike.com Ordered one item a year ago, no problems. I thought the web site was klunky
    though, and I couldn't see the status of my order.

    All in all, my nod is for JensonUSA -I always seem to end up ordering there.

    cheers

    Nige

    "John Clarke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    After reading the thread on cambriabikes, it made me wonder why we don't ever post when we have
    really good, positive experiences from suppliers. Let me start the ball rolling. For instance
    i've had positive experiences from both of the below listings.

    poweroncycling.compoweroncycling.com performancebike.comperformancebike.com

    My bent fleet now consists of a EZ-1, but in the future, I may be looking to buy something else
    from someone within driving distance of Phila, PA. I rely a lot on what I read on this NG, and
    elsewhere on bent sites, so any good positive referrals would be helpful in helping me make
    those future decisions.

    Thanks.

    John Clarke

  15. <snip> I will try Jenson, never heard of it, but Nashbar has been excellent, and I find they have
    great specials if you look for them, especially when seasons are going to change. Chas

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.