Ray said:I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on
the drive side broke away from the frame leaving that side of the axle
loose and free.
Quoted message said:Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear
axle as it is holding it all together. If it did collapse I would have
been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down onto a low
bridge and turning at the same time.
Quoted message said:My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?
Quoted message said:Cheers Ray
The definition varies between manufacturer but generally it appears
that it's far less than what the average person expects it to be.
It may also be affected by how much use the bike's had. I think
manufacturers generally don't think that, say, riding 50kms every day
for years is within the realms of acceptable use.
Anyway, last year one of the seat post lugs on my frame cracked
so that it couldn't hold the seatpost tight anymore. I took it
back to the shop where I bought it and after some 'discussion'
I managed to get the frame repaired for free.
This is on a 5 year old steel Bianchi frame. AFAIK, the retailer
got it fixed by Kevin Wigham (Paconi) at his cost and the repair
had nothing to do with Bianchi or their distributor.
I spose the bottom line is, give it a go and mention things like
'fair trading', 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose'.
If it's a steel frame the repair probably won't be difficult.
Cheers.
--
Nick