Lightning R-84 Comments

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Frank P. Patter, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
    hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about getting
    a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering, SRAM PC-89R
    hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960 derailleurs and
    speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
    > hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about
    > getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering,
    > SRAM PC-89R hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960
    > derailleurs and speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.

    I believe that Doug Davis (from R-BENT) had an R-84 under the F-40 fairing last summer when we did
    the Katy Flatland Century. You can contact him via email by following the URL to the member list at
    R-BENT: http://www.rbent.org/member_list.html

    Unless turn around has greatly improved at LCD, do not hold your breath waiting on a 3-month
    delivery. I waited that long for an F-40 Voyager and another 2 months for the fairing. LCD now says
    2 months for an F-84 on their website.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. "Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any comments on the Lightning R-84...

    Do a Google search as there have been a number of threads about the R-84. Some have been critical
    about warranty issues; myself, I drool uncontolably everytime I look at the R-84 at the LCM website.

    > Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame?

    The Bacchetta Aero, for one. Also a much better reputation for lack of problems.

    > How does it hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see
    > about getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and
    > steering,

    The problem with an M5 seat on the R-84 is that the bike is designed for a more upright seating
    position and the M5 seat is designed for a more laid back position. Reliability issues aside,
    Lightning has by most reports designed a great riding bike, I wouldn't mess with their design.

    Happy shopping, Bruce Shannahoff Los Angeles

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I set a hardshell seat on the frame of my P-38 to see if it would work and ,no way, to get the seat
    laid back enough the seat bottom would be against the steering mast. Ben fox "Frank P. Patterson"
    > Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
    > hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about
    > getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering,
    > SRAM PC-89R hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960
    > derailleurs and speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.

  5. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I have an older R-84. It is not rideable anymore. I was hit by a car about 2 1/2 years ago and the
    frame broke in half. I loved the bike. It was fast and fun. It did have some quirks however. The
    chain runs inside the chainstay through a chain tube this makes the drive system a little noisy. The
    bike has a very plush ride with the full suspension. I just sold my F40. It is extremely fast. I
    could cruise in the low 30's. I also had a Easy Racers Gold Rush that was a tremendous bike. You
    never did anything to it, but ride it. I now have a Rotator Titanium Tiger that's actually lighter.
    I enjoy this bike very much. The mid-drive sytem is flawless. I also have a Reynolds Titanium T-Bone
    Dual 650c. This bike is also a hoot to ride and is extremely fast. I've never ridden a faster
    unfaired bike. The ride is very plush and comfortable. This bike is only slightly heavier than the
    R-84. Both of these bike reguire very little maintenace compared to the R84 and are as fast if not
    faster. The Reynolds is about 3-4 mph faster than the R84. I also have a Bacchetta Aero on order. I
    can't wait to compare it to these other great bikes. If you'd like to ask some specific questions
    please write me.

    Good luck, Mick

  6. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    [email protected] (Mick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an older R-84. It is not rideable anymore. I was hit by a car about 2 1/2 years ago and the
    > frame broke in half. I loved the bike. It was fast and fun. It did have some quirks however. The
    > chain runs inside the chainstay through a chain tube this makes the drive system a little noisy.
    > The bike has a very plush ride with the full suspension. I just sold my F40. It is extremely fast.
    > I could cruise in the low 30's. I also had a Easy Racers Gold Rush that was a tremendous bike. You
    > never did anything to it, but ride it. I now have a Rotator Titanium Tiger that's actually
    > lighter. I enjoy this bike very much. The mid-drive sytem is flawless. I also have a Reynolds
    > Titanium T-Bone Dual 650c. This bike is also a hoot to ride and is extremely fast. I've never
    > ridden a faster unfaired bike. The ride is very plush and comfortable. This bike is only slightly
    > heavier than the R-84. Both of these bike reguire very little maintenace compared to the R84 and
    > are as fast if not faster. The Reynolds is about 3-4 mph faster than the R84. I also have a
    > Bacchetta Aero on order. I can't wait to compare it to these other great bikes. If you'd like to
    > ask some specific questions please write me.
    >
    > Good luck, Mick

    You should change your name to "Ti Mick"

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Mick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > ... R-84. ... F40. ... Gold Rush ... Rotator Titanium Tiger ... Reynolds Titanium T-Bone Dual
    > 650c. ... Bacchetta Aero

    > If you'd like to ask some specific questions please write me.
    >
    > Good luck, Mick

    Will you adopt me? All I have is two P-38's and a Tour Easy.

    Jeff :cool:

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben Fox wrote:

    > I set a hardshell seat on the frame of my P-38 to see if it would work and ,no way, to get the
    > seat laid back enough the seat bottom would be against the steering mast. Ben fox

    Stainless steel cup? ;)