Lightning R-84 Comments



Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank P. Patter

Guest
Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about getting
a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering, SRAM PC-89R
hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960 derailleurs and
speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.
 
C

Cletus Lee

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
> hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about
> getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering,
> SRAM PC-89R hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960
> derailleurs and speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.
>
>
I believe that Doug Davis (from R-BENT) had an R-84 under the F-40 fairing last summer when we did
the Katy Flatland Century. You can contact him via email by following the URL to the member list at
R-BENT: http://www.rbent.org/member_list.html

Unless turn around has greatly improved at LCD, do not hold your breath waiting on a 3-month
delivery. I waited that long for an F-40 Voyager and another 2 months for the fairing. LCD now says
2 months for an F-84 on their website.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -
 
B

Bruce Shannahof

Guest
"Frank P. Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Any comments on the Lightning R-84...

Do a Google search as there have been a number of threads about the R-84. Some have been critical
about warranty issues; myself, I drool uncontolably everytime I look at the R-84 at the LCM website.

> Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame?

The Bacchetta Aero, for one. Also a much better reputation for lack of problems.

> How does it hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see
> about getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and
> steering,

The problem with an M5 seat on the R-84 is that the bike is designed for a more upright seating
position and the M5 seat is designed for a more laid back position. Reliability issues aside,
Lightning has by most reports designed a great riding bike, I wouldn't mess with their design.

Happy shopping, Bruce Shannahoff Los Angeles
 
B

Ben Fox

Guest
I set a hardshell seat on the frame of my P-38 to see if it would work and ,no way, to get the seat
laid back enough the seat bottom would be against the steering mast. Ben fox "Frank P. Patterson"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Any comments on the Lightning R-84... Or does anyone know of a similarly light frame? How does it
> hold up? Can one actually get one? ...in 3 months? I'll be contacting Lightning to see about
> getting a frameset. The intention would be to build it up with the M-5 type seat and steering,
> SRAM PC-89R hollow pin chain, Raceface Ti bottom bracket, Avid brakes, Shimano XTR '03 M960
> derailleurs and speedplay pedals. No lights, bells, HRMs, PDA/cellphone holders or anchors.
 
M

Mick

Guest
I have an older R-84. It is not rideable anymore. I was hit by a car about 2 1/2 years ago and the
frame broke in half. I loved the bike. It was fast and fun. It did have some quirks however. The
chain runs inside the chainstay through a chain tube this makes the drive system a little noisy. The
bike has a very plush ride with the full suspension. I just sold my F40. It is extremely fast. I
could cruise in the low 30's. I also had a Easy Racers Gold Rush that was a tremendous bike. You
never did anything to it, but ride it. I now have a Rotator Titanium Tiger that's actually lighter.
I enjoy this bike very much. The mid-drive sytem is flawless. I also have a Reynolds Titanium T-Bone
Dual 650c. This bike is also a hoot to ride and is extremely fast. I've never ridden a faster
unfaired bike. The ride is very plush and comfortable. This bike is only slightly heavier than the
R-84. Both of these bike reguire very little maintenace compared to the R84 and are as fast if not
faster. The Reynolds is about 3-4 mph faster than the R84. I also have a Bacchetta Aero on order. I
can't wait to compare it to these other great bikes. If you'd like to ask some specific questions
please write me.

Good luck, Mick
 
M

Mitch

Guest
[email protected] (Mick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have an older R-84. It is not rideable anymore. I was hit by a car about 2 1/2 years ago and the
> frame broke in half. I loved the bike. It was fast and fun. It did have some quirks however. The
> chain runs inside the chainstay through a chain tube this makes the drive system a little noisy.
> The bike has a very plush ride with the full suspension. I just sold my F40. It is extremely fast.
> I could cruise in the low 30's. I also had a Easy Racers Gold Rush that was a tremendous bike. You
> never did anything to it, but ride it. I now have a Rotator Titanium Tiger that's actually
> lighter. I enjoy this bike very much. The mid-drive sytem is flawless. I also have a Reynolds
> Titanium T-Bone Dual 650c. This bike is also a hoot to ride and is extremely fast. I've never
> ridden a faster unfaired bike. The ride is very plush and comfortable. This bike is only slightly
> heavier than the R-84. Both of these bike reguire very little maintenace compared to the R84 and
> are as fast if not faster. The Reynolds is about 3-4 mph faster than the R84. I also have a
> Bacchetta Aero on order. I can't wait to compare it to these other great bikes. If you'd like to
> ask some specific questions please write me.
>
> Good luck, Mick

You should change your name to "Ti Mick"
 
J

Jeff Wills

Guest
[email protected] (Mick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> ... R-84. ... F40. ... Gold Rush ... Rotator Titanium Tiger ... Reynolds Titanium T-Bone Dual
> 650c. ... Bacchetta Aero

> If you'd like to ask some specific questions please write me.
>
> Good luck, Mick

Will you adopt me? All I have is two P-38's and a Tour Easy.

Jeff :cool:
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Ben Fox wrote:
>
> I set a hardshell seat on the frame of my P-38 to see if it would work and ,no way, to get the
> seat laid back enough the seat bottom would be against the steering mast. Ben fox

Stainless steel cup? ;)

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.