Lights - latest and greatest

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
It's getting dark here in Australia as autumn approaches and early morning rides are getting hazardous, doing 45kph in the pitch black.

I've got a MiNewt USB which I thought was pretty good but in a paceline at speed it just doesn't throw enough light to see a safe distance ahead.

Has anybody got any recommendations on the latest in LED light sets? I'm looking at the TriNewt or similar - I'd like as much oomph as possible, runtime of 2 hours would be ideal, maybe even 90 minutes before the sun comes up.

grahamspringett said:
It's getting dark here in Australia as autumn approaches and early morning rides are getting hazardous, doing 45kph in the pitch black.

I've got a MiNewt USB which I thought was pretty good but in a paceline at speed it just doesn't throw enough light to see a safe distance ahead.

Has anybody got any recommendations on the latest in LED light sets? I'm looking at the TriNewt or similar - I'd like as much oomph as possible, runtime of 2 hours would be ideal, maybe even 90 minutes before the sun comes up.

Light and Motion.

http://www.lightandmotion.com

Oi I'd recommend getting onto Probikekit.com based in the UK. Postage is real cheap and you save heaps. One good light they have ATM (cant remember brand) throws light sideways as well...good for advertising your presence to motorists coming in from side streets. Will buy one shortly and tell ya how it fares buddy

If you're into DIY, now is a good time to make your own LED light. Manufacturers aren't keeping up with developments, the latest whiz bang commercial LED lights are AFAIK last years tech (Cree XRE from what I've seen). For around $200AUS you can make your own LED light and it will be better than the commercial lights mentioned. The electronics is simple, just getting the right thing and a few solder joins.