General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Limoncello? Grain Alcohol?

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 84 posts · 1,514 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 October 2007
Last activity
13 October 2007
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
84
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,514
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 84
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone
    else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

  2. On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:07:16 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone
    else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    This is where I got my method, Goomba.
    http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40048&hl=

    Read a bit down the page, and you will come to the method I use, from
    Katie Loeb. She also has the distinction of having her recipe used
    by the Los Angeles Times.

    This is a long thread, but good ideas in it.

    Christine

  3. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it is
    time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone else
    here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    Here is what I have been told is consumate recipe for Limoncello.

    From: Blake Olson

    Limoncello

    beverages, alcoholic

    15 ea. lemons; zested
    2 fifths grain alcohol; or 100 proof vodka
    4 cups sugar
    5 cups water

    Mixing instructions:

    Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of
    pesticides or wax. Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable
    peeler so there is no white pith on the peel.

    In a 1-gallon glass jar, add one fifth alcohol or vodka and the lemon zest.
    Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least 10 days, and up
    to 40 days in a cool dark place. -- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar
    and water and cook until thickened, appx. 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool
    before adding it to the limoncello mixture. Add the additional fifth. Allow
    to rest for another 10 to 40 days. -- After the rest period, strain and
    bottle, discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

    Creator/contributor's comments: Remember that the longer the zest and vodka
    mix rests, the better the taste will be.

    Blake

  4. Chris Marksberry said:


    Here is what I have been told is consumate recipe for Limoncello.

    From: Blake Olson

    Limoncello

    beverages, alcoholic

    15 ea. lemons; zested
    2 fifths grain alcohol; or 100 proof vodka
    4 cups sugar
    5 cups water

    Thank you 🙂
    I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and half vodka? I
    ask because I've got this bottle of grain alcohol, but I keep reading
    people saying they prefer vodka....?

  5. Goomba38 <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Marksberry said:


    Here is what I have been told is consumate recipe for
    Limoncello.

    From: Blake Olson

    Limoncello

    beverages, alcoholic

    15 ea. lemons; zested
    2 fifths grain alcohol; or 100 proof vodka
    4 cups sugar
    5 cups water

    Thank you 🙂
    I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and half
    vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of grain alcohol,
    but I keep reading people saying they prefer vodka....?

    Try it. :-)

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link she gave?
    Quite nice reading from
    "KatieLoeb post Apr 1 2004, 10:30 AM"

  6. sandi said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and half
    vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of grain alcohol,
    but I keep reading people saying they prefer vodka....?

    Try it. :-)

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link she gave?
    Quite nice reading from
    "KatieLoeb post Apr 1 2004, 10:30 AM"


    I did. And most of the posts there talk about vodka being less harsh
    than the grain alcohol. But I guess I can try both. Maybe half batches!
    Oooh...great test. I'll report back. Gotta go buy some vodka tomorrow
    and the lemons.

  7. Goomba38 <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    sandi said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and
    half vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of grain
    alcohol, but I keep reading people saying they prefer
    vodka....?

    Try it. :-)

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link she
    gave? Quite nice reading from
    "KatieLoeb post Apr 1 2004, 10:30 AM"


    I did. And most of the posts there talk about vodka being less
    harsh than the grain alcohol. But I guess I can try both.
    Maybe half batches! Oooh...great test. I'll report back. Gotta
    go buy some vodka tomorrow and the lemons.

    And 2 limes. ;-) That's the secret I read.

  8. Goomba38 said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does
    anyone else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one
    is better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    Am I incorrect in assuming that grain alcohol is a form of vodka?
    Originally vodka was made with potatoes, but from what I understand only the
    high end ones are, anymore. I was also told that cheaper whiskeys are made
    with part vodka or grain alcohol. Someone I know who has a still tried to
    explain all of this to me, so I'm only repeating what I was told; I never
    tried to research it. Any clues, anyone?

    kili

  9. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it is
    time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone else
    here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    The woman in my town with the reputation for making the best wrote the
    recipe out for me because I was unhappy with the others. If you would like
    it, I'll be happy to post it.
    --
    http://www.judithgreenwood.com

  10. "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Am I incorrect in assuming that grain alcohol is a form of vodka?
    Originally vodka was made with potatoes, but from what I understand only
    the high end ones are, anymore. I was also told that cheaper whiskeys are
    made with part vodka or grain alcohol. Someone I know who has a still
    tried to explain all of this to me, so I'm only repeating what I was told;
    I never tried to research it. Any clues, anyone?

    Most distilled liquors starts out as grain alcohol. Vodkas is still made
    from potatoes in Poland (Luksosowa brand) but they use grain also in most
    places. Bourbon required a percentage of corn, Scotches is smoked with
    peat, etc. Grain alcohols is pretty much pure alcohol as distilled and
    after, the process can make it into something else. Gin is essentially
    flavored vodka. Cheap whiskey is aged in barrels , but for shorter times
    that good whiskey

    Pretty much comes down to using what is plentiful in your region.

  11. Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Am I incorrect in assuming that grain alcohol is a form of vodka?
    Originally vodka was made with potatoes, but from what I understand
    only the high end ones are, anymore. I was also told that cheaper
    whiskeys are made with part vodka or grain alcohol. Someone I know
    who has a still tried to explain all of this to me, so I'm only
    repeating what I was told; I never tried to research it. Any clues,
    anyone?

    Most distilled liquors starts out as grain alcohol. Vodkas is still
    made from potatoes in Poland (Luksosowa brand) but they use grain
    also in most places. Bourbon required a percentage of corn, Scotches
    is smoked with peat, etc. Grain alcohols is pretty much pure alcohol
    as distilled and after, the process can make it into something else. Gin
    is essentially flavored vodka. Cheap whiskey is aged in barrels
    , but for shorter times that good whiskey

    Pretty much comes down to using what is plentiful in your region.

    Thanks for the explanation, Edwin. :~)

    kili

  12. Christine Dabney said:

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:07:16 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone
    else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    This is where I got my method, Goomba.
    http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40048&hl=

    Read a bit down the page, and you will come to the method I use, from
    Katie Loeb. She also has the distinction of having her recipe used
    by the Los Angeles Times.

    This is a long thread, but good ideas in it.

    Christine

    i made a half-recipe using katie's formula (100 proof vodka for
    steeping, 80 proof to finish), but i steeped for eight weeks, i think,
    at any rate somewhat longer than she does.

    goomba, if you were to use grain, use it just for the steeping and not
    the final step. it would probably be more a more civilized use than a
    frat-boy purple punch. katie seems to feel vodka gives a smoother
    result than grain.

    read the e-gullet thread, though. it's entertaining.

    your pal,
    blake

  13. sandi said:

    Goomba38 <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    sandi said:

    > I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and
    > half vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of grain
    > alcohol, but I keep reading people saying they prefer
    > vodka....?

    Try it. :-)

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link she
    gave? Quite nice reading from
    "KatieLoeb post Apr 1 2004, 10:30 AM"


    I did. And most of the posts there talk about vodka being less
    harsh than the grain alcohol. But I guess I can try both.
    Maybe half batches! Oooh...great test. I'll report back. Gotta
    go buy some vodka tomorrow and the lemons.

    And 2 limes. ;-) That's the secret I read.


    in my half-recipe i used one lime. but it's the only limoncello i've
    had, so hard to compare.

    i hear danny devito has now put his name to a brand, after showing up
    semi-stewed on 'the view' t.v. show after having pounded some the
    night before.

    your pal,
    blake

  14. kilikini said:
    Goomba38 said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does
    anyone else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one
    is better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    Am I incorrect in assuming that grain alcohol is a form of vodka?
    Originally vodka was made with potatoes, but from what I understand only the
    high end ones are, anymore. I was also told that cheaper whiskeys are made
    with part vodka or grain alcohol. Someone I know who has a still tried to
    explain all of this to me, so I'm only repeating what I was told; I never
    tried to research it. Any clues, anyone?

    kili


    the main difference is that (as far as i know), the highest proof
    vodka you can buy is 100 proof, or 50 percent ethanol. grain alcohol
    is typically 190 proof, or 95 percent ethanol. everclear, i think, is
    the most available brand. as far as i know it is not for sale in
    maryland.

    i see it here as an ingredient in a pan-galactic gargle blaster:

    Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster #3 recipe

    1 oz Everclear® alcohol
    1 oz Goldschlager® cinnamon schnapps
    1 oz lemon juice
    1 splash Blue Curacao liqueur

    Place ingredients into a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake and strain
    into a martini cocktail glass. Consume as a shot.

    ....frankly, it sounds a little too vile to have spread throughout the
    known universe, but you never know.

    your mostly harmless pal,
    blake

  15. On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:13:46 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    sandi said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol and half
    vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of grain alcohol,
    but I keep reading people saying they prefer vodka....?

    Try it. :-)

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link she gave?
    Quite nice reading from
    "KatieLoeb post Apr 1 2004, 10:30 AM"


    I did. And most of the posts there talk about vodka being less harsh
    than the grain alcohol. But I guess I can try both. Maybe half batches!
    Oooh...great test. I'll report back. Gotta go buy some vodka tomorrow
    and the lemons.

    Don't forget, for true limoncello the lemons HAVE to be grown in
    Sorrento ;-).

    Ross.

  16. [email hidden] wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007
    15:58:20 -0400:

    ??>> sandi wrote:
    ??>>
    ??>>>> I wonder if anyone has tried using half grain alcohol
    ??>>>> and half vodka? I ask because I've got this bottle of
    ??>>>> grain alcohol, but I keep reading people saying they
    ??>>>> prefer vodka....?
    ??>>>
    ??>>> Try it. :-)
    ??>>>
    ??>>> Let us know how it turns out.
    ??>>>
    ??>>> Do you read what Christine Dabney wrote and read the link
    ??>>> she gave? Quite nice reading from "KatieLoeb post Apr 1
    ??>>> 2004, 10:30 AM"
    ??>>>
    ??>> I did. And most of the posts there talk about vodka being
    ??>> less harsh than the grain alcohol. But I guess I can try
    ??>> both. Maybe half batches! Oooh...great test. I'll report
    ??>> back. Gotta go buy some vodka tomorrow and the lemons.

    r> Don't forget, for true limoncello the lemons HAVE to be
    r> grown in Sorrento ;-).

    I don't know much about grain alcohol but Consumer Reports
    tested vodkas with an expert panel some years ago. They put in a
    ringer by diluting USP alcohol with distilled water. Guess which
    vodka the experts preferred?

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  17. Goomba38 <[email hidden]> dropped this news:16Cdnew-
    [email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does anyone
    else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one is
    better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    <horrible flash back memories of frat house days painfully fought back>
    Bleh... I'll never be able to drink the stuff again. I had it mixed with
    some pink stuff at a house party one night. I remember nothing. Actually
    I don't remember much from several days after the party. All I know is I
    puked pink for days. I also had blonde, curly hair down to my shoulders.
    Getting the puke out of the hair was a formidible task.

    Michael

    --
    Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
    food, and tyrannize their teachers.
    - Socrates

    to email: dog3 at charter dot net

  18. kilikini said:
    Goomba38 said:

    I found an unopened bottle of grain alcohol in the pantry and think it
    is time I used it....Christine D. makes Limoncello, I know. Does
    anyone else here make it?
    Any preference for using vodka over grain alcohol? Opinions on if one
    is better than the other?
    Any tried and true recipes to share?

    Any other suggestions for using it?

    Am I incorrect in assuming that grain alcohol is a form of vodka?
    Originally vodka was made with potatoes, but from what I understand only the
    high end ones are, anymore. I was also told that cheaper whiskeys are made
    with part vodka or grain alcohol. Someone I know who has a still tried to
    explain all of this to me, so I'm only repeating what I was told; I never
    tried to research it. Any clues, anyone?

    kili


    I dunno? I already have a fifth of grain alcohol and so went to buy a
    fifth of vodka for my limoncello recipe comparison. I figure it will
    make a fun drink to enjoy at Thanksgiving as well as bottling up some to
    give away to co-workers at Christmas. But when buying the vodka I
    couldn't figure out if I wanted a high quality vodka or would a real
    cheapie work as well? I settled on a middle range (price wise) Seagrams
    Vodka at $14/fifth. I could have gone on post and purchased a better
    quality one for less money still but.... not sure which is best?
    Anyone have some input?

  19. Giusi said:

    The woman in my town with the reputation for making the best wrote the
    recipe out for me because I was unhappy with the others. If you would like
    it, I'll be happy to post it.

    <gasp!> you had to ask!??! Please! 🙂

  20. blake murphy said:

    i made a half-recipe using katie's formula (100 proof vodka for
    steeping, 80 proof to finish), but i steeped for eight weeks, i think,
    at any rate somewhat longer than she does.

    goomba, if you were to use grain, use it just for the steeping and not
    the final step. it would probably be more a more civilized use than a
    frat-boy purple punch. katie seems to feel vodka gives a smoother
    result than grain.

    I have a fifth of both grain alcohol as well as vodka. I'm going to make
    half batches using each to compare.
    I just so happen to have a frat boy who will happily take off with any
    less than stellar results, lol. But yeah, I got the impression vodka was
    preferred by some, but what quality of vodka?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.