General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Liquid Espresso Concentrate?

Started by Wayne Boatwright · · Last activity · 54 posts · 1,094 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 March 2006
Last activity
25 March 2006
Original author
Wayne Boatwright
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,094
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–54 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 07:33:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Thanks, Dee, for the advice. I would like to taste Giada's version
    with the chocolate zabione, but I'm not sure I would prefer it. I
    love chocolate, but one of the things I like about tiramisu is the
    contrast in flavors.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    I certainly agree with that.
    She adds I think about 1/2 cup chocolate chips to her zabione. I'm not
    fond of chocolate chips, but I would add probably chocolate if I did
    make the zabione. She give the recipe of zabione as a stand-alone
    recipe and this is what she adds to her tiramisu recipe.

    I have to agree. I would not be adding chocolate chips to a zabione.

    Quoted message said:

    Hard day here at the ranch. The electrican was here straight thru from
    8 until 6 replacing our electric panel, and adding a surge protector as
    well and getting power back to the outshed, but I guess we have too many
    things on it and he was a little behind schedule. Coming back tomorrow
    to finish the job.

    Ouch! An electrician for an entire day can't have been cheap. But I guess
    when something needs doing, it must be done.

    We were lucky and didn't get the bad snow that was

    Quoted message said:

    expected, just a light snow and some more to come overnight. Did you
    finish with your rain and get warmed up again?

    Hopefully this will be some the last snow you get for the season. At least
    you weren't engulfed in it.

    Our weather was clear most of last week, but unseasonably cool until
    Saturday, which was a beautiful day. Sunday it began raining again, but
    not for as long. Off and on throughout the day. Yesterday was cold and
    very windy (in the 40s, which feels frigid here). This morning it was cold
    and began raining again this afternoon, although it has now stopped.
    Actually, I welcome any rain we get, as we need it desperately, but I could
    do without the lower temps.

    Quoted message said:

    We were going to Lowe's tomorrow to look again at the overhead vent that
    we will probably buy. I think it will be Allure III; a poster here said
    he liked it well. DH says he thinks there is an outside vent already
    there that was walled up with tiles before the Jennair was installed in
    1988. http://tinypic.com/rwtd8w.jpg Perhaps we can tap-tap-tap to see
    where it comes thru the house so as to not tear up all the tile and I
    can replace the few tiles we tear up with some artistic type tiles -
    just to kill the monotony. The pink formica has to go because as you
    can see it is pretty bad by now and I ruined a 8" spot to the right of
    the stove. I'm not too sure how the wooden trim can be/would be handled
    that the formica is encased in. DH has no consideration as to how much
    water is dripped across this wood, sot it does look a bit sorry, but it
    sure has stayed.

    Heh! You haven't seen pink formica unless you had seen the kitchen in one
    my first apartments. It was built in the era of GEs bright pastel colored
    appliances. The formica with bright pink and the built-in cooktop, wall
    oven, and refrigerator were vivid turquoise! The heavy enameled steel
    cabinets and porcelain cast-iron sink were in matching turquoise. The
    walls were cream and the floor was brown linoleum. A sight to behold!!!

    In an earlier kitchen we had in OH, we had Amish-built oak cabinets and the
    laminate counter was bordered by an oak strip. About twice a year I would
    mask off the liminate and rub the wood trim down with tung oil. Never had
    a problem. The wood trim will be removed as part of your countertop when
    you replace the top. Very little alternative there. Depending on the
    surface you replace it with, you could add it back and restain it.

    Quoted message said:

    The burner to the left on the Jennair now has the smooth-top on it and I
    like it a lot. When I was putting away the coils, I found that not only
    do we have the big grill for this stove, but we have another set of the
    burners that are on the right. I'm STILL not sure what you call these
    type of burners.

    I saw your answer to the Bechamel, but I have had no chance to
    read/answer emails, but this one.

    I'm not sure why some people feel they must pontificate about a recipe.
    For cripes sake, it's just a recipe, not an excerpt from a holy book.

    Quoted message said:

    And of course, who can keep up with the rabbits?

    The other rabbits!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  2. Nexis said:

    This is the stuff for you then 🙂 Before I had my machine, this is what I always
    used, with the fresh brewed coffee like I mentioned. It's a good, rich flavor with
    the combination of the two.

    I will second it. I was going to suggest it, but can never remember
    how to spell the name. 😉 I also use it when I want some java but
    don't want to make a pot. It's also good stirred into some hot cocoa
    for a mocha-cocoa.

    -L.

  3. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 10:57:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

    Quoted message said:


    Nexis said:

    This is the stuff for you then 🙂 Before I had my machine, this is what
    I always used, with the fresh brewed coffee like I mentioned. It's a
    good, rich flavor with the combination of the two.

    I will second it. I was going to suggest it, but can never remember
    how to spell the name. 😉 I also use it when I want some java but
    don't want to make a pot. It's also good stirred into some hot cocoa
    for a mocha-cocoa.

    -L.

    Thanks! I'll pick some up very soon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA


  4. Quoted message said:

    Ouch! An electrician for an entire day can't have been cheap. But I
    guess
    when something needs doing, it must be done.

    He's under a contract -- but it has been re-written a couple of times -- you
    know how that goes -- tee hee!

    Quoted message said:

    Our weather was clear most of last week, but unseasonably cool until
    Saturday, which was a beautiful day. Sunday it began raining again, but
    not for as long. Off and on throughout the day. Yesterday was cold and
    very windy (in the 40s, which feels frigid here). This morning it was
    cold
    and began raining again this afternoon, although it has now stopped.
    Actually, I welcome any rain we get, as we need it desperately, but I
    could
    do without the lower temps.

    With the explosion of population in the desert, I would think that the
    desalinization plants would be on the rise. I recall Marin County, CA in
    the 70's laying water pipes on the San Rafael Bridge to bring water to us.

    Quoted message said:


    Heh! You haven't seen pink formica unless you had seen the kitchen in one
    my first apartments. It was built in the era of GEs bright pastel colored
    appliances. The formica with bright pink and the built-in cooktop, wall
    oven, and refrigerator were vivid turquoise! The heavy enameled steel
    cabinets and porcelain cast-iron sink were in matching turquoise. The
    walls were cream and the floor was brown linoleum. A sight to behold!!!

    I don't recall the pastel colored appliances, all I recall is avocado. But
    pink and turquoise, must be in my psyche -- those are the two Fiesta bowls I
    bought tee hee -- they were used for pasta last night. They will be used
    for oatmeal in a few moments getting ready for the electrician to come back
    to finish the job. Yes, I know they cost plenty -- my dad was an
    electrican -- he did alright financially. I've heard it said that when they
    needed someone in counties around to climb high structures, they called
    him -- must've been a little bit of Indian dna.

    Quoted message said:


    In an earlier kitchen we had in OH, we had Amish-built oak cabinets and
    the
    laminate counter was bordered by an oak strip. About twice a year I would
    mask off the liminate and rub the wood trim down with tung oil. Never had
    a problem. The wood trim will be removed as part of your countertop when
    you replace the top. Very little alternative there. Depending on the
    surface you replace it with, you could add it back and restain it.

    I don't know what I'll do with the counter top. Probably pay some yay-hoot
    to come in and advise me. When I was in the Turkish grocery store last
    week, I admired his counters -- they were stunning! I thought they were not
    real granite. But he said they were -- he had a friend who could "get them
    wholesale." Tee hee. There was not a scratch or mar on them. But I think
    that's a little too bold for my budget.

    I'm off the net -- to read cookbooks for a while -- my kind of reading -
    non-fiction!
    DeeDee

  5. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 06:30:48a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Ouch! An electrician for an entire day can't have been cheap. But I
    guess when something needs doing, it must be done.

    He's under a contract -- but it has been re-written a couple of times --
    you know how that goes -- tee hee!

    Quoted message said:

    Our weather was clear most of last week, but unseasonably cool until
    Saturday, which was a beautiful day. Sunday it began raining again,
    but not for as long. Off and on throughout the day. Yesterday was
    cold and very windy (in the 40s, which feels frigid here). This
    morning it was cold and began raining again this afternoon, although it
    has now stopped. Actually, I welcome any rain we get, as we need it
    desperately, but I could do without the lower temps.

    With the explosion of population in the desert, I would think that the
    desalinization plants would be on the rise. I recall Marin County, CA
    in the 70's laying water pipes on the San Rafael Bridge to bring water
    to us.

    Mostly likely they are, but of course, not around here. <g>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Heh! You haven't seen pink formica unless you had seen the kitchen in
    one my first apartments. It was built in the era of GEs bright pastel
    colored appliances. The formica with bright pink and the built-in
    cooktop, wall oven, and refrigerator were vivid turquoise! The heavy
    enameled steel cabinets and porcelain cast-iron sink were in matching
    turquoise. The walls were cream and the floor was brown linoleum. A
    sight to behold!!!

    I don't recall the pastel colored appliances, all I recall is avocado.
    But pink and turquoise, must be in my psyche -- those are the two Fiesta
    bowls I bought tee hee -- they were used for pasta last night. They
    will be used for oatmeal in a few moments getting ready for the
    electrician to come back to finish the job. Yes, I know they cost
    plenty -- my dad was an electrican -- he did alright financially. I've
    heard it said that when they needed someone in counties around to climb
    high structures, they called him -- must've been a little bit of Indian
    dna.

    I love all the colors in my Fiestaware and I have a mixture of a dozen
    colors. I just don't think that I want to see those colors in appliances
    again. GE made yellow, turquoise, pink, and cocoa. Another company
    produced matching porcelain on cast iron sinks, and yet another produced
    matching heavy steel kitchen cabinets. Talk about a lot of color!

    I hope all your electrical work was completed today.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In an earlier kitchen we had in OH, we had Amish-built oak cabinets and
    the laminate counter was bordered by an oak strip. About twice a year
    I would mask off the liminate and rub the wood trim down with tung oil.
    Never had a problem. The wood trim will be removed as part of your
    countertop when you replace the top. Very little alternative there.
    Depending on the surface you replace it with, you could add it back and
    restain it.

    I don't know what I'll do with the counter top. Probably pay some
    yay-hoot to come in and advise me. When I was in the Turkish grocery
    store last week, I admired his counters -- they were stunning! I
    thought they were not real granite. But he said they were -- he had a
    friend who could "get them wholesale." Tee hee. There was not a
    scratch or mar on them. But I think that's a little too bold for my
    budget.

    If I didn't have a tight budget for the new house, I would go with either a
    quartz product or limestone. As it is, I'm using a granite "look" laminate
    and the edge trim will be ceramic tile.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm off the net -- to read cookbooks for a while -- my kind of reading -
    non-fiction!

    Have fun!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA


  6. Quoted message said:


    If I didn't have a tight budget for the new house, I would go with either
    a
    quartz product or limestone. As it is, I'm using a granite "look"
    laminate
    and the edge trim will be ceramic tile.

    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    I'll save your recommendation and look-see of what you are speaking. I was
    going to stay home tomorrow and let DH do the shopping, but now I think I'll
    go with him and browse the Lowe's' aisles for ideas. However, but before
    kitchen counter tops next comes the hood vent, then the electric pumps, and
    a couple of trips, in between to CT and Canada. A busy spring and early
    summer.

    This particular electrical phase done. The electrican was good, but he said
    it was the toughest job he'd had of this kind -- it's possible that he was
    trying to justify the extra tack-on -- partially kidding. DH was pleased
    and that's all that matters at this point.
    Thanks for asking,
    Dee Dee


  7. Quoted message said:

    Once again, thanks! Since you have used it this way in the past, can you
    recommend a certain amount to be mixed with the regular coffee that worked
    well for you? Say, a teaspoon or two per measuring cup of brewed coffee?

    I don't really measure it...I make about 2 cups of coffee and add a heaping spoonful
    (from the dinnerware, yanno ;-) ) and some vanilla and whatnot. Sweeten to taste with
    whatever. Sometimes, and I don't know why this is, I find that it doesn't quite make
    enough, so I just make another cup with a level spoonful of espresso powder.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Of course, I am a complete coffee fiend, so I had to move on from coffee
    maker to espresso machine 😉 lol

    I've been "off coffee" as a hot beverage for a long time. I usually drink
    an iced coffe with cream or iced latté each morning, which I prefer to get
    at a shop on the way to work. I doubt that I've even used my coffee maker
    at home more than 2-3 times in the past year.

    Several years ago I bought a moderately priced Gaggia espresso machine, but
    I found the results very disappointing, and I return it to the store. For
    just myself, I couldn't justify the price of a really good machine,
    although it would be nice to have. :-)

    There are 3 full-time coffee drinkers in my house. I have a cup in the morning, an
    iced coffee many afternoons (at least when the weather is accommodating!) and a cup
    at night. The machine I have now (a Jura Capresso) makes coffee and espresso both,
    which is much better than having two machines like we used to. It also froths milk
    and heat the cups and grinds the beans, so it's too easy not to love it. 🙂 I did
    have a Gaggia once, and like you, I didn't care for it. This one was a hand pump
    style (where you let the steam pressure build up and then pull down the wand), but it
    had a real tendency to go overboard on the steam pressure which made it plain scary!
    I much prefer the machine I have now.

    kimberly

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. http://www.javacabana.com/categories.asp?catid=5

    They have it here at a really good price Wayne, if you can't find it locally.

    kimberly

  9. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:18:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Once again, thanks! Since you have used it this way in the past, can
    you recommend a certain amount to be mixed with the regular coffee that
    worked well for you? Say, a teaspoon or two per measuring cup of
    brewed coffee?

    I don't really measure it...I make about 2 cups of coffee and add a
    heaping spoonful (from the dinnerware, yanno ;-) ) and some vanilla and
    whatnot. Sweeten to taste with whatever. Sometimes, and I don't know why
    this is, I find that it doesn't quite make enough, so I just make
    another cup with a level spoonful of espresso powder.

    Thanks! That's as good a guideline as I need.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course, I am a complete coffee fiend, so I had to move on from
    coffee maker to espresso machine 😉 lol

    I've been "off coffee" as a hot beverage for a long time. I usually
    drink an iced coffe with cream or iced latté each morning, which I
    prefer to get at a shop on the way to work. I doubt that I've even
    used my coffee maker at home more than 2-3 times in the past year.

    Several years ago I bought a moderately priced Gaggia espresso machine,
    but I found the results very disappointing, and I return it to the
    store. For just myself, I couldn't justify the price of a really good
    machine, although it would be nice to have. :-)

    There are 3 full-time coffee drinkers in my house. I have a cup in the
    morning, an iced coffee many afternoons (at least when the weather is
    accommodating!) and a cup at night. The machine I have now (a Jura
    Capresso) makes coffee and espresso both, which is much better than
    having two machines like we used to. It also froths milk and heat the
    cups and grinds the beans, so it's too easy not to love it. 🙂 I did
    have a Gaggia once, and like you, I didn't care for it. This one was a
    hand pump style (where you let the steam pressure build up and then pull
    down the wand), but it had a real tendency to go overboard on the steam
    pressure which made it plain scary! I much prefer the machine I have
    now.

    That looks like a super machine! You can certainly justify it with 3
    coffee drinkers. I can't remember which model Gaggia I had, but one of my
    major issues with its inability to form crema. The steam generator was a
    bit lacking, too.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  10. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:22:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.javacabana.com/categories.asp?catid=5

    They have it here at a really good price Wayne, if you can't find it
    locally.

    kimberly

    Thanks! This is a good reference to have, Kimberly. I did, however, find it
    this morning at a market near my office. Looks like this weekend I'll be
    building a tiramisu!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA


  11. Quoted message said:

    Thanks! This is a good reference to have, Kimberly. I did, however, find
    it
    this morning at a market near my office. Looks like this weekend I'll be
    building a tiramisu!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Wayne, this is something I've not done in making a tiramisu. I'm wondering
    if you do this or anyone has. Seems like a good idea, although I've seen
    Giada do something else like this as well, but this an excerpt from awritten
    instruction is from her cookbook.

    "Line a 9-1/4 x 5 x 2-3/4" metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the
    plastic to extend over the sides."

    Then you pack your ingredients in.

    "Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate ...."

    "Unwrap the plastic fromatop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu on to a
    platter and remove the plastic." "Sift the cocoa over it and serve."

    Dee Dee

  12. notbob said:
    jake said:

    For anyone interested and their googling ease: try "percolator". It is
    the name of that device in several languages, although I don't know if
    English is one of them.

    Yes, "percolator" is a coffee brewing device fairly well known in the
    USA. It boils coffee and recirculates it over the grounds thereby
    tending to overextraction and harshness. While common in the 40s, 50s
    and early 60s, it has fallen out of favor since the rise in popularity
    of the drip coffee brewer.

    nb

    I use one occasionally, when I get bored with fleter coffee (which I
    drink lots of). I agree that percolator coffe tastes harsh.

  13. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! This is a good reference to have, Kimberly. I did, however, find it
    this morning at a market near my office. Looks like this weekend I'll be
    building a tiramisu!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Wayne, this is something I've not done in making a tiramisu. I'm wondering if you
    do this or anyone has. Seems like a good idea, although I've seen Giada do
    something else like this as well, but this an excerpt from awritten instruction is
    from her cookbook.

    "Line a 9-1/4 x 5 x 2-3/4" metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic
    to extend over the sides."

    Then you pack your ingredients in.

    "Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate ...."

    "Unwrap the plastic fromatop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu on to a platter and
    remove the plastic." "Sift the cocoa over it and serve."

    Dee Dee

    I did that once. Too much trouble, and it looks better in a glass dish, IMO ;-)
    Although, the way I really like to serve it for company is a bit of a pain in the
    neck too, but it looks soooo nice and everyone oohs and aahs over it all night! I
    make it in stemmed glasses...martini, margarita, wine...doesn't matter which. It
    makes a perfect sized serving and looks lovely. Last time was during the holidays and
    my daughter made a stencil of a snowflake and used it when putting the chocolate on
    top, so each serving had a chocolate snowflake.

    kimberly

  14. "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Ba4Vf.14158$6a1.9098@fed1read04...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! This is a good reference to have, Kimberly. I did, however,
    find it
    this morning at a market near my office. Looks like this weekend I'll
    be
    building a tiramisu!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Wayne, this is something I've not done in making a tiramisu. I'm
    wondering if you do this or anyone has. Seems like a good idea, although
    I've seen Giada do something else like this as well, but this an excerpt
    from awritten instruction is from her cookbook.

    "Line a 9-1/4 x 5 x 2-3/4" metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the
    plastic to extend over the sides."

    Then you pack your ingredients in.

    "Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate ...."

    "Unwrap the plastic fromatop the tiramisu. Invert the tiramisu on to a
    platter and remove the plastic." "Sift the cocoa over it and serve."

    Dee Dee

    I did that once. Too much trouble, and it looks better in a glass dish,
    IMO ;-)
    Although, the way I really like to serve it for company is a bit of a pain
    in the neck too, but it looks soooo nice and everyone oohs and aahs over
    it all night! I make it in stemmed glasses...martini, margarita,
    wine...doesn't matter which. It makes a perfect sized serving and looks
    lovely. Last time was during the holidays and my daughter made a stencil
    of a snowflake and used it when putting the chocolate on top, so each
    serving had a chocolate snowflake.

    kimberly

    I'm not that creative nor artistic to spend the extra time doing that, but I
    certainly appreciate it. It would make me nervous even trying to get the
    tiramisu into serving glasses without looking really messy. But that's a
    good idea to make it in a glass dish instead of just seeing the top of it as
    when I make it.
    As for everything that Giada does -- she does it well; she has been trained
    at Cordon Bleu (is that the correct place?). I have to admire her coming
    thru with flying colors, particulary when she didn't speak any French.
    I'm glad you told me of your experience with the tiramisu and the plastic
    wrap. It's always pleasing to get feedback on things one reads in
    cookboods.
    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.