Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Liquid soap for Grab-On? Translation needed please.

Started by Martyn Aldis · · Last activity · 13 posts · 370 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 April 2005
Last activity
10 April 2005
Original author
Martyn Aldis
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
370
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the
    liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up
    liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.
    --

    Martyn Aldis, e-mail [email hidden]
    ==============================================================================

  2. Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the
    liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up
    liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    Yes, USA "dish soap" is UK "washing up liquid" and it should work with
    your Grab-On foam. Slippery when wet, dries to a sticky film.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  3. Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the
    liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up
    liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    Sounds like liquid hand-washing soap, although other manufacturers I
    know of specify dishwashing detergent.

  4. Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the
    liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up
    liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    Yes, that's what they mean, but it's not what I'd recommend.

    I generally use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
    denatured alcohol) Use lots.

    Quoted message said:


    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    Water-based lubricants are prone to slippage in wet conditions. I would
    advise against using soap.

    The Ultimate Weapon is a hypodermic syringe full of alcohol.

    Sheldon "CH3.CHOH.CH3." Brown
    +-----------------------------------+
    | Habit is the nursery of errors. |
    | --Victor Hugo |
    +-----------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. window cleaner has worked well for me

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the liquid
    detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up liquid" in the
    UK or is it actually a soap?

    Yes, that's what they mean, but it's not what I'd recommend.

    I generally use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
    denatured alcohol) Use lots.

    Quoted message said:


    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    Water-based lubricants are prone to slippage in wet conditions. I would
    advise against using soap.

    The Ultimate Weapon is a hypodermic syringe full of alcohol.

    Sheldon "CH3.CHOH.CH3." Brown
    +-----------------------------------+
    | Habit is the nursery of errors. |
    | --Victor Hugo |
    +-----------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. soap is a problem in the wet.
    try 2-3 electrical wire ties vise gripped tight on bar end after
    installation. the ties lock blocks tend to bar foam from traveling.
    aslo a scrap of sandpaper under the ties to keep the...
    if the bar was soaped prior
    and remeber at noon cover the bar when parked with a t-shirt wrapped up
    an around the bar-bar foam is uv sensitive.

  7. Sheldon Brown said:
    Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I
    should be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is
    this the liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call
    "washing up liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    Yes, that's what they mean, but it's not what I'd recommend.

    I generally use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
    denatured alcohol) Use lots.

    I've also used rubbing alcohol to good effect. I also used hot water
    once, but that might have been a different type of grip (i.e. not Grab-
    On).

    Denatured alcohol isn't the same as rubbing alcohol, though. Denatured
    alcohol is ethanol with something added to make it undrinkable, so as
    to avoid paying alcoholic-beverage taxes. Rubbing alcohol is usually
    isopropanol diluted with water. I don't know whether ethanol would
    work any differently from isopropanol in terms of grip installation.

    --
    Ray "better living through chemistry" Heindl
    (remove the Xs to reply)

  8. Ray Heindl said:
    Sheldon Brown said:
    Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I
    should be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is
    this the liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call
    "washing up liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    Yes, that's what they mean, but it's not what I'd recommend.

    I generally use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
    denatured alcohol) Use lots.

    I've also used rubbing alcohol to good effect. I also used hot water
    once, but that might have been a different type of grip (i.e. not Grab-
    On).

    Denatured alcohol isn't the same as rubbing alcohol, though. Denatured
    alcohol is ethanol with something added to make it undrinkable, so as
    to avoid paying alcoholic-beverage taxes. Rubbing alcohol is usually
    isopropanol diluted with water. I don't know whether ethanol would
    work any differently from isopropanol in terms of grip installation.

    Howdy,

    Another thing that works well for the purpose:

    Waterless hand cleaner.

    HTH,

    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  9. Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I should
    be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is this the
    liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call "washing up
    liquid" in the UK

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like proofed
    nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and spoil my
    expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    Use water alone, then, in my opinion. The detergent tends to allow
    the grip to slip later on, while water will not.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  10. Ray Heindl said:

    Denatured alcohol isn't the same as rubbing alcohol, though. Denatured
    alcohol is ethanol with something added to make it undrinkable, so as
    to avoid paying alcoholic-beverage taxes.

    Usually methanol, which is nastily toxic but does not change the
    flavor. At one time, this fact was a leading cause of blindness among
    the indigent population in the US.

    Quoted message said:

    Rubbing alcohol is usually
    isopropanol diluted with water. I don't know whether ethanol would
    work any differently from isopropanol in terms of grip installation.

    Pure iropropanol is seldom sold; it's almost always diluted with
    water, and works well as a grip slip lube in that form. I've also had
    relatively good luck just using water, but it doesn't work as well as
    rubbing alcohol. (This trick is one I use so seldom that it slipped
    my mind when I posted my own comments noting that water would be a
    less troublesome choice than detergent.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  11. Martyn Aldis <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam and see from the pack that I
    should be able to use liquid soap as a lubricant. In US usage is
    this the liquid detergent used for washing dishes that we call
    "washing up liquid" in the UK or is it actually a soap?

    The soap / detergent distinction matters for some things like
    proofed nylon garments so I don't want to try the wrong stuff and
    spoil my expensive foam or have them slide off the drops in use.

    I actually used black spray paint when I used to install Grab-ons on
    motorcycles. Spray the paint in the grip and it slips on easily and
    then provides a bit of adhesion when it dries

  12. Werehatrack said:
    Ray Heindl said:

    Denatured alcohol isn't the same as rubbing alcohol, though.
    Denatured alcohol is ethanol with something added to make it
    undrinkable, so as to avoid paying alcoholic-beverage taxes.

    Usually methanol, which is nastily toxic but does not change the
    flavor. At one time, this fact was a leading cause of blindness
    among the indigent population in the US.

    Benzene is also popular. Benzene is added to the alcohol to make it
    possible to distill it to ~100% purity, and a little bit is left after
    distillation to make it undrinkable.

    Other things are also used, depending on what the denatured alcohol is
    going to be used for.

    --
    Ray Heindl
    (remove the Xs to reply)

  13. In message <[email hidden]>, Sheldon Brown
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Martyn Aldis said:

    I'm trying to fit some Grab-On foam

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, that's what they mean, but it's not what I'd recommend.

    I generally use hair spray or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
    denatured alcohol) Use lots.


    Thanks very much. Isopropyl alcohol in a little squirt bottle intended
    for tape player cleaning worked a treat.

    --

    Martyn Aldis, e-mail [email hidden]
    ==============================================================================

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.