Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Liquid Wrench

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,223 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 February 2005
Last activity
26 February 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,223
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jim Smith said:
    Tom Sherman said:
    Størker Moe said:

    Yup, ammonia is a base. For the more extreme cases, a solution of
    caustic (AKA sodium hydroxide) literally removes the seatpost. The
    base dissolves aluminum forming sodium aluminum hydroxide and
    hydrogen gas. Takes some time with thick-walled seatposts, but it
    works. I tried it once after using up two hacksaw blades and still
    not having gone through the post.
    Don't try this at home, kids, and read the MSDS.

    Is sodium hydroxide any worse than potassium hydroxide? I have had
    skin contact with potassium hydroxide many times and as long as it was
    washed off right away, it was not big deal.

    They are both about the same, but don't let your experience with KOH
    fool you, these are not exactly benign compounds. They are not
    "poisonous" per se, but strong solutions will happily disolve your
    flesh. Brief skin contact is no big deal, but get some in your eye or
    swallow some and you are likely to have problems. (There are lots of
    folks running around who can't eat anymore and have to collect their
    spit in a cup because they tried to kill themselves drinking drain
    cleaner.) Just use common sense and follow standard safety
    precautions like wearing goggles and always adding the crystals to the
    water and not the other way around.

    Actually, I used to work in the R&D department of Rayovac as a lab
    technician, and there were times when I was too lazy to put rubber
    gloves on if I was just briefly doing something involving KOH (which we
    made up in 50 gallon batches at 45% concentration), or gelled anode
    (which has a pH of about 12.5).

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  2. Tom Sherman said:
    Jim Smith said:
    Tom Sherman said:

    Størker Moe wrote:

    >Yup, ammonia is a base. For the more extreme cases, a solution of
    >caustic (AKA sodium hydroxide) literally removes the seatpost. The
    >base dissolves aluminum forming sodium aluminum hydroxide and
    >hydrogen gas. Takes some time with thick-walled seatposts, but it
    >works. I tried it once after using up two hacksaw blades and still
    >not having gone through the post.
    >Don't try this at home, kids, and read the MSDS.

    Is sodium hydroxide any worse than potassium hydroxide? I have had
    skin contact with potassium hydroxide many times and as long as it was
    washed off right away, it was not big deal.


    They are both about the same, but don't let your experience with KOH
    fool you, these are not exactly benign compounds. They are not
    "poisonous" per se, but strong solutions will happily disolve your
    flesh. Brief skin contact is no big deal, but get some in your eye or
    swallow some and you are likely to have problems. (There are lots of
    folks running around who can't eat anymore and have to collect their
    spit in a cup because they tried to kill themselves drinking drain
    cleaner.) Just use common sense and follow standard safety
    precautions like wearing goggles and always adding the crystals to the
    water and not the other way around.

    Actually, I used to work in the R&D department of Rayovac as a lab
    technician, and there were times when I was too lazy to put rubber
    gloves on if I was just briefly doing something involving KOH (which
    we made up in 50 gallon batches at 45% concentration), or gelled anode
    (which has a pH of about 12.5).

    Sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't want to get any in my eyes.

  3. Tom Sherman said:

    Actually, I used to work in the R&D department of Rayovac as a lab
    technician, and there were times when I was too lazy to put rubber
    gloves on if I was just briefly doing something involving KOH (which
    we made up in 50 gallon batches at 45% concentration), or gelled anode
    (which has a pH of about 12.5).

    heh. I never thought about that before. I guess that is why they are
    called "alkaline" batteries.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.