Listening To Music Whilst Cycling

Count Picnic

Dec 8, 2007
Does anyone else do this?

Is it legal?

I cycle for an hour or so per day, and I always listen to my walkman. There's nothing like belting down a hill at uber-speed with Led Zep or The Smiths punishing your eardrums.

Don't you concur?

I use one earphone and put that in my left ear so I can hear cars coming up to overtake with my right. That's safe enough.

:)

I use one earphone and put that in my left ear so I can hear cars coming up to overtake with my right. That's safe enough.

:)

Hi ....... I start work early in the morning 05.45 so i use my ipod as the roads are reasonably quiet but on the way home I don't so as to keep my wits about me

I never have listened to music as you cannot hear other vehicles.
I have enough issues with drivers already without them sneaking up on me. If i did listen to music it would be something hard and fast, Slipknot, Pitchshifter and maybe some Metallica.
What would you listen to?:D

Ex-runner here who has never used music as my workout support system. Cycling's longer hours have me considering plugging in. Something relaxing like Oscar Peterson might be my thing.

Actually i usually get a song in my head and continually repeat for a few miles, and even sing out loud sometimes..Beware the singing cyclist....
I'm not very good at singing but when you are out in the sticks......NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SING..!!! LOL:D:D

whuppingboy said:
I never have listened to music as you cannot hear other vehicles.
I have enough issues with drivers already without them sneaking up on me. If i did listen to music it would be something hard and fast, Slipknot, Pitchshifter and maybe some Metallica.
What would you listen to?:D
I haven't listened to owt for a couple of days .... Watching out for the ice ..... is enough for me. But I do like something with a kick and dancey .... Deep purple ... Faithless ..... etc.. I don't know what the other road users think when they hear me singing along ... :eek:

whuppingboy said:
Actually i usually get a song in my head and continually repeat for a few miles, and even sing out loud sometimes..Beware the singing cyclist....
I'm not very good at singing but when you are out in the sticks......NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SING..!!! LOL:D:D

i agree!

although i use one ear so i can still hear, and have it on quiet. unless im in the country!

I never listen to music because I believe a person should have all their senses and all their ears listening for potential problems your eyes will miss; and the sound of music, even if in just one ear, will mute other sounds to a degree-which is a degree less you have to react in. Also music takes your concentration level down thus any noise you could have heard even with the music muted low is ignored buying you even less time to react.

There's enough sound pollution in everyday life why garble up the sound of nature with music? I find the sound of nature more relaxing then music when riding and that's the one time out of a day you can just get away from a lot of artificial noise. When I'm at home and I want to concentrate on music then I turn on the stereo, crank it up, and sit in my recliner enjoying music without worrying about anyone wanting to run me over.

I wasn't sure about it but tried it one day. I got so into Muse that I didn't hear the guy racing me coming up to overtake (didn't even know he was there). He swore at me and shot past. I decided it was best not to get on his wheel. I've never used one since but like many others I saw a decent amateur with her iPod in the left ear only on Sunday. Personally I like the sound of the road and birds (and the warning of a car coming).

About it is legal or not i don't know but while driving its my habit and i am always go with the music. Feel relax and refresh while cycling.

I listen to music while cycling, but not too loud so I can hear the sound of the other vehicles. Dont think its illegal. :(

I pretty much always have my ipod on full volume in both ears, which isn't as loud as you would think (I might need new headphones), as I can still hear everything I would normally hear around me e.g. traffic noise and pedestrians talking.

I cycle to work on busy roads with cars everywhere, so visual checks seem to be the best way of staying aware of whats going on, for me, whether I am listening to music or not.

I have always tried to keep constant vigilance of what is happening on the roads and footpaths around me, using my eyes and sense of smell (lol), unlike many drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists I encounter, who make turns and crossing without even a glance at what is going on nearby.

If I am cycling out of the city, I don't listen to any music, as sweeping roads and hills can hide all sorts of speedy dangers,

I would suggest not listening to spoken word comedy whilst driving/ cycling, as I almost crashed my car whilst listening to On The Hour a couple of days back, as I was having laughter fits and wasn't paying any attention at all the a large cement mixer lorry that was pulling across my lane...