litespeed niota, hype?

My current bike is a pig and my riding buddies are all a bunch of
weight weenies now. As much as it kills me to join them, the simple
truth is that I can't push a 36 lb rig up a hill as fast as someone on
a 26 lb unit, and there just aren't enough nasty rock gardens on the DH
for me to catch them.

Sooo, after drooling over many a web site and classified ad, I'm now
infatuated with a used litespeed niota frame:
http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/niotati.aspx#

My question is this, is this the super cool, ultra light, all mountain
frame, or is it the rich boys toy that is only bought by those with
more $ than sense.
There's no chance of riding one beforehand. I pretty much have to just
go for it, or not.

I'd never make this kind of decision without first subjectimg myself to
the ridicule of this NG (grin). So, fire away, what's the verdict?

-Bruce (ducking)

[...]

A couple of questions.
What style of riding do you do? (From your description it sounds like aggressive XC)
How much is the Litespeed retailing for?

The Litespeed looks like a really nice rig, but price could be quite painful. Have you considered a Salsa Caballero or something along those kinds of lines or would that be too light for your style?

davebee said:
A couple of questions.
What style of riding do you do? (From your description it sounds like aggressive XC)
How much is the Litespeed retailing for?

The Litespeed looks like a really nice rig, but price could be quite painful. Have you considered a Salsa Caballero or something along those kinds of lines or would that be too light for your style?

Just looked at the Litespeed specs a bit closer and have noticed that it has an integrated headset. I wouldn't be keen on this for mountain biking. I would want to fit a King and forget about it!

I basically ride XC, with some steep nasty bits, but I take that stuff
pretty slow, more like trials style than DH. No big air.
I'm looking at a used frame, still many $$$, but less tha half retail.
So, it's either this. an intense 5.5, or possible a 5-spot.
The 04's do not have the integrated head set.

-Bruce

I basically ride XC, with some steep nasty bits, but I take that stuff
pretty slow, more like trials style than DH. No big air.
I'm looking at a used frame, still many $$$, but less tha half retail.
So, it's either this. an intense 5.5, or possible a 5-spot.
The 04's do not have the integrated head set.

-Bruce

have you considered something like the mountain cycles san andreas?
That should take care of all the nasty bits and should climb reasonably well.

The Litespeed at <1/2 price sounds good. What is it specced with?

[email protected] wrote:
> My current bike is a pig and my riding buddies are all a bunch of
> weight weenies now. As much as it kills me to join them, the simple
> truth is that I can't push a 36 lb rig up a hill as fast as someone on
> a 26 lb unit, and there just aren't enough nasty rock gardens on the DH
> for me to catch them.
>
> Sooo, after drooling over many a web site and classified ad, I'm now
> infatuated with a used litespeed niota frame:
> http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/niotati.aspx#
>
> My question is this, is this the super cool, ultra light, all mountain
> frame, or is it the rich boys toy that is only bought by those with
> more $ than sense.
> There's no chance of riding one beforehand. I pretty much have to just
> go for it, or not.
>
> I'd never make this kind of decision without first subjectimg myself to
> the ridicule of this NG (grin). So, fire away, what's the verdict?
>
> -Bruce (ducking)

I may have some facts wrong, but here goes.
I have a buddy who rides a Tomac, and has just cracked his second frame
in 1.5 years. This is not uncommon, I understand Tomac is not happy
about the this as it is a manufacturing issue. The parent company
(American Bicycle, I believe) has offered him the Litespeed, this one I
believe, as a replacement. American Bicycle owns Litespeed as well, I think.
I've heard the Tomac is manufactured overseas, I don't know about the
Litespeed.
You might want to research the relationship between American Bicycle,
Tomac and Litespeed.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

Just a frame. I have all the other bits, albeit some of them a wee bit
overkill, but they'll do for now.
I'm looking at the frame alone for $1800.

-Bruce

I looked at the san andreas, it's more travel than I need, and after
having a joker I really hate that prehistoric single pivot rear end.
The brake jack on those things is horrible. Well, that my $.02

-Bruce

[email protected] wrote:
> My current bike is a pig and my riding buddies are all a bunch of
> weight weenies now. As much as it kills me to join them, the simple
> truth is that I can't push a 36 lb rig up a hill as fast as someone on
> a 26 lb unit, and there just aren't enough nasty rock gardens on the DH
> for me to catch them.
>
> Sooo, after drooling over many a web site and classified ad, I'm now
> infatuated with a used litespeed niota frame:
> http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/niotati.aspx#
>
> My question is this, is this the super cool, ultra light, all mountain
> frame, or is it the rich boys toy that is only bought by those with
> more $ than sense.
> There's no chance of riding one beforehand. I pretty much have to just
> go for it, or not.
>
> I'd never make this kind of decision without first subjectimg myself to
> the ridicule of this NG (grin). So, fire away, what's the verdict?
>
> -Bruce (ducking)

It's purdy!
The integrated headset is a red flag (Why? Why? Why?) but if you can get
last year's for 1800 that seems like a decent deal, assuming it's not a
piece of ****. In theory, the Ti frame should outlast it's design
(meaning you'll want to upgrade to a newer design before it breaks).

I've heard some Litespeed bashing (saying they have no soul) but not
much toward the actual bikes. The folks I know with them (hardtails,
soft tails, and road bikes) all seem to like them. I've sever seen one
of those FS rigs in the flesh.

Matt

Craig Brossman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > My current bike is a pig and my riding buddies are all a bunch of
> > weight weenies now. As much as it kills me to join them, the simple
> > truth is that I can't push a 36 lb rig up a hill as fast as someone on
> > a 26 lb unit, and there just aren't enough nasty rock gardens on the DH
> > for me to catch them.
> >
> > Sooo, after drooling over many a web site and classified ad, I'm now
> > infatuated with a used litespeed niota frame:
> > http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/niotati.aspx#
> >
> > My question is this, is this the super cool, ultra light, all mountain
> > frame, or is it the rich boys toy that is only bought by those with
> > more $ than sense.
> > There's no chance of riding one beforehand. I pretty much have to just
> > go for it, or not.
> >
> > I'd never make this kind of decision without first subjectimg myself to
> > the ridicule of this NG (grin). So, fire away, what's the verdict?
> >
> > -Bruce (ducking)
> >

> I may have some facts wrong, but here goes.
> I have a buddy who rides a Tomac, and has just cracked his second frame
> in 1.5 years. This is not uncommon, I understand Tomac is not happy
> about the this as it is a manufacturing issue. The parent company
> (American Bicycle, I believe) has offered him the Litespeed, this one I
> believe, as a replacement. American Bicycle owns Litespeed as well, I think.
> I've heard the Tomac is manufactured overseas, I don't know about the
> Litespeed.
> You might want to research the relationship between American Bicycle,
> Tomac and Litespeed.

BINGO!

American Bicycle Group (ABG) owns the Litespeed, Merlin, Quintana Roo
and Tomac brands.

As for litespeeds being manufactured overseas ... some are some aren't.

> My current bike is a pig and my riding buddies are all a bunch of
> weight weenies now. As much as it kills me to join them, the simple
> truth is that I can't push a 36 lb rig up a hill as fast as someone on
> a 26 lb unit, and there just aren't enough nasty rock gardens on the DH
> for me to catch them.

Ride where the rock gardens make the pig-rig worthwhile, or get
stronger. I don't have much of a problem pedaling the Cha up a 2,500ft
climb.

> Sooo, after drooling over many a web site and classified ad, I'm now
> infatuated with a used litespeed niota frame:
> http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/niotati.aspx#

If you're going to spend that kind of dough, spend it on a bike that is
made by a real and reputable botique bike company. If you know where
your frame was fabricated, it's a good bet that if you have a warranty
issue ever, you'll know exactly where to go and the good botique
builders all honor their work. It's not about how cool, or well
marketed a bike company is, it's about how HONORABLE they are.

JD

A kona coiler. A 38 lb tank. I love ths frame, handles like a dream and
is 100% bullet proof for my type of riding, but I recently blew out a
disk in my back, so the high torque climbing up boulders is out. I
gotta go with something lighter. I'm willing to sacrifice some DH
ability for the weight.
That said, I've also snapped two ellsworth joker frames doing XC, so
I'm thinking that a Ti frame would be a good combination of
weight/durability.

-Bruce

PS One slightly used coiler going up on ebay soon unless someone here
wants it. Note, that's not a "for sale" ad, its a "you guys get 1st
shot" offer before it's turned over the the masses.

[email protected] wrote:
> That said, I've also snapped two ellsworth joker frames doing XC, so
> I'm thinking that a Ti frame would be a good combination of
> weight/durability.

It's not about the material, it's about the quality of the material and
how the bicycles are designed and fabricated.

JD

So true. Seems like 90% of frame failures are on welds. I've only seen
a few where the actual tubing failed.
That said, both ellsworth failures were no where near a weld.

[email protected] wrote:
> So true. Seems like 90% of frame failures are on welds. I've only seen
> a few where the actual tubing failed.
> That said, both ellsworth failures were no where near a weld.

Shoddy aluminium can fail nowhere near a weld. Cut corners cause frame
failures.

JD