Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Littering ==) Picking up garbage

Started by ... · · Last activity · 43 posts · 4,187 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
11 August 2003
Last activity
29 August 2003
Original author
...
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,187
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–43 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I agree with Frank. The more garbage left lying around the more people get the idea that it's ok to
    "leave it lying around" and to litter in the first place. By picking up the garbage of others I
    believe also strengthens the rule in society that it's NOT OK to litter. Which ultimately leads to
    less littering. Of course there will always be those who don't follow societies rules and will
    litter anyway. That's why as a Scout leader I (as do all leaders I know of) teach the youth to
    "leave it cleaner than you find it."

    One other thing I notice today, compared to say 50 years ago, there is one hell of a lot more
    "garbage" to throw away making the whole problem much bigger. So much of what we use today is over
    packaged and disposable when we are done with the product itself. While very few products are made
    to last a lifetime.

    "Frank Looper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "David Wood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've never littered and consider those who do disposable sociopaths, but I consider picking up
    someone else's trash an enabling activity so I can't bring myself to do it. Get rid of the
    litterbugs, not the litter.


    The problem lies in the sad fact that if it doesn't get picked up, the trails just get uglier
    and uglier. Most parks have a bi-yearly cleanup


    day,

    Quoted message said:

    and besides that, cleanup is done by a park ranger, who is highly educated and should be best used
    doing other things, or another park employee, who


    is

    Quoted message said:

    not doing what he was hired for. In the current climate of a bottomed-out, barely-recovering
    economy, there are no spare employees for picking up trash. If we don't do it, it might not get
    done for months. If people see lots of litter they'll think it's OK to just pitch stuff. If they
    see a clean trail, only the jerks


    will

    Quoted message said:

    litter.

  2. your not alone canuck scouter, when family camping as a wee lad when our parrents were packing up
    the camper we kids were put to work picking up any liter weather or not it was ours. To this day the
    last thing I do is to tidy up. its one tiny thing to make the world a better place . "canuck
    scouter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with Frank. The more garbage left lying around the more people get the idea that it's ok
    to "leave it lying around" and to litter in the


    first

    Quoted message said:

    place. By picking up the garbage of others I believe also strengthens the rule in society that
    it's NOT OK to litter. Which ultimately leads to less littering. Of course there will always be
    those who don't follow societies rules and will litter anyway. That's why as a Scout leader I (as
    do all leaders I know of) teach the youth to "leave it cleaner than you find it."

    One other thing I notice today, compared to say 50 years ago, there is one hell of a lot more
    "garbage" to throw away making the whole problem much bigger. So much of what we use today is over
    packaged and disposable when


    we

    Quoted message said:

    are done with the product itself. While very few products are made to last


    a

    Quoted message said:

    lifetime.

    "Frank Looper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "David Wood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've never littered and consider those who do disposable sociopaths, but I consider picking up
    someone else's trash an enabling activity so I can't bring myself to do it. Get rid of the
    litterbugs, not the litter.


    The problem lies in the sad fact that if it doesn't get picked up,


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    trails just get uglier and uglier. Most parks have a bi-yearly cleanup


    day,

    Quoted message said:

    and besides that, cleanup is done by a park ranger, who is highly


    educated

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and should be best used doing other things, or another park employee,


    who

    Quoted message said:

    is

    Quoted message said:

    not doing what he was hired for. In the current climate of a bottomed-out, barely-recovering
    economy, there are no spare employees for picking up trash. If we don't do it, it might not get
    done for months. If people see lots of litter they'll


    think

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it's OK to just pitch stuff. If they see a clean trail, only the jerks


    will

    Quoted message said:

    litter.


  3. Come on guys. I was just kidding. See my prior post (20) on this thread and don't forget to note the
    :-] emoticon. By the way, how do you feel about the concept of counteracting global warming with
    nuclear winter for a nice temperate year round climate? This is off topic so if you want to
    seriously discuss it, start a new thread, otherwise, enjoy my wry sense of humor.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.