Lizardskins DSP bar tape

bicyclerubber

Jul 26, 2007
Anyone tried it?

£25 for bar tape seems a big price ticket, but its getting rave reviews in some quarters.

As the contact points are always the first thing I consider changing on any bike, I am looking for input from people that have used it.

Cheers

bicyclerubber said:
Anyone tried it?

£25 for bar tape seems a big price ticket, but its getting rave reviews in some quarters.

As the contact points are always the first thing I consider changing on any bike, I am looking for input from people that have used it.
I don't know about the Lizardskin's tape, but having used some Pearl Izumi GREPTILE tape on one of my bikes, I want to issue a caveat which may-or-may-not be applicable ...

If you were to read the description (about a half dozen years ago) for the Greptile tape, the PI tape sounded like a good idea (better grip, etc.) ... true enough ...

BUT, the PI tape can be considered to be akin to the active (hook) side of a Velcro band AND loose fibers/etc. will stick to it -- a minor nuisance.

The Lizardskins tape may be significantly different ...

Regardless, I think the main thing you want to test before you buy some is to rub some tissue (i.e., Kleenix or a paper towel) or something made with fleece-or-the-like across the handlebar tape & see how the tape reacts [since you won't be able to rub it with mud in the shop] AND then see if you think it is something you want to deal with, or not.

My recommendation is that you should probably continue to choose CORK, synthetic cork, or smooth 'foam' tape.

Of course, if the tape is for your CX bike (just a presumption I'm making), then the "dirt" that doesn't clean off easily after each race could be the 'patina' you want your tape to develop over the course of the season.

bicyclerubber said:
Anyone tried it?

Cheers

I recently used Lizard Skin handlebar tape on a century ride. I thought it was great -- best handlebar tape I have used. Best cushioning I have experienced, and the best grip. I cannot speak to durability, and have read both positive and negative reviews from others on that score. However, because of the great cushioning and grip, I am going to replace the handlebar tape on all my bikes with this stuff.

I have it but never will again, hard to keep clean if not black and completely wore out after 4000k of riding going to try Deda this time around although I have found Bontrager to be quite good.