General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lo-carb studies?

Started by Ernie Sty · · Last activity · 31 posts · 972 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 September 2005
Last activity
24 September 2005
Original author
Ernie Sty
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
972
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    In the news recently was a study that used approximately
    what Atkins actually is to treat epilepsy. The concept
    was that a severe ketogenic diet works therefore it is
    worth testing whether a moderate ketogenic diet would
    work. Since on what Atkins actually is you build up to
    the point of being just barely in ketosis, it is as
    moderate as you can get without expensive testing.

    Good example, Doug. I think the concept was that using Atkins, which is
    pretty simple, doctors could kinda screen the kids. If they improved on
    Atkins, it might indicate that they would be a good candidate for the more
    stringent ketogenic diet successfully used for kids with epilepsy.

    Quoted message said:

    PCOS - Many report relieved symptoms.

    PCOS patients, I believe, are typically severely insulin resistant. As I
    understand it, a low-carb diet helps mitigate the insulin resistance,
    thereby reducing a lot of their symptoms and helping to normalize endocrine
    function. So it's kind of an unusual and not-very-well-understood variant on
    insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome that includes some other hormonal
    abnormalities.

    Quoted message said:

    Crones disease and
    other forms of IBS - Grain is a common source of lower
    digestive problems. Migraines - I haven't seen any
    marketing about it but it is mentioned in a couple of the
    Atkins books that folks following the process tend to not
    get migraines (I've gone from 3-5 per year to 1 in 6 years
    since starting).

    With any self-immune or degenerative disease it could be
    worth trying the eliminate-and-challenge half of Atkins
    on the principle that diet at least contributes to the
    symptoms.

    Eliminating or cutting back on certain foods usually does benefit certain
    people, in that they find symptoms and disease conditions that were
    (unknowingly) caused or exacerbated by those foods decreasing or going away
    altogether. Grains are probably a big issue for many people. Auto-immune
    dieseases often respond to that kind of dietary manipulation. And low-carb
    diets often help, although the improvement may have more to do with what
    foods are eliminated or severely reduced. There are also many people who go
    on the opposite sort of diet who report the same kinds of relief from things
    like arthritis, migraines, crones disease, other autoimmune diseases. Which
    is why I think it has more to do with specific foods, and perhaps just
    eating more vegetables and whole foods and less junk, than any specific
    macronutrient ratio.

    HG

  2. Hannah Gruen said:

    "Bev-Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    And this clearly shows that LC is not just for diabetes, obesity and
    metabolic syndrome as has been suggested by someone on this ng.

    I don't get your point here, Bev. It seems like these things, and the
    symptoms they include pretty much make up most or all the reasons people
    low-carb. The list of diseases/symptoms associated with metabolic syndrome
    is a very large one.

    Yeah, but you know I've been casually watching this and a related thread
    for a while and I see one problem. There seems to be an assumption that
    everyone who has some of the factors that are correlated w/ metabolic
    syndrome necessarily *has* metabolic syndrome.

    I was fat all my life and at my heaviest I was definitely obese (220 on a
    5'6" small boned frame), even now I'm not skinny (145, which puts my BMI
    at around 24.5, but the calipers say I'm a bit over 30%BF). I found losing
    weight very easy while doing low carb.

    So, it would seem that that would indicate that I'm metabolically
    resistant - except that by pretty much all the standards, I wasn't and am
    not. My fat distribution was always pear shaped, my HDL was always high,
    when I tested my BG levels for fun (including some tests off-plan) my
    levels were mostly quite stable and there were a couple of other factors
    that I've since forgotten which were markers of ms that didn't jibe w/ my
    profile.

    I think that, for me, the reason low carb works really well is that it's
    an adequate protein diet. Doing low fat, I ate much lower totals of
    protein during the day than I do now, and my perception is that that is
    one of the main reasons I was hungry all the time.

    So, my experience leads me to believe that not everyone who is fat and
    benefits from low carb necessarily has metabolic syndrome. I think,
    rather, that there are probably several mechanisms at work here that make
    this a good way of eating for many people (and, quite possibly, some which
    do make it less satisfactory for others).

    Quoted message said:

    What other conditions for which LC is marketed, that do not fit into those
    categories, are you aware of?

    I can't say that LC is marketed for this, but it's one of the selling
    points that *I* make about the diet when I talk to people about it (well,
    if I know them well enough). When I was doing a high carb diet I had
    really bad gas much of the time. Since I started low carbing, that's
    pretty much taken care of itself. Even if I hadn't had all the other
    benefits that I have from low carb that in itself might have been enough
    to make me make the switch.

    Oh, and my rosacea cleared up.

    Martha

    --

    This
    is
    just
    to
    get
    around
    this
    newsreader's
    requirement
    that
    you
    have
    more
    lines
    of
    new
    text
    than
    quoted
    material.

  3. Susan said:

    x-no-archive: yes
    Diabetes, hypertension, obesity, CVD are all related to metabolic
    syndrome. Can you tell me all the *other* groups that low carbing is
    marketed to?

    The generally active, oddly enough.

    http://www.michelob.com/michelob_site.html

    Check out the TV ads for Mick Ultra.

    -Hollywood, who should have so much fun drinking beer.

  4. x-no-archive: yes

    Hannah Gruen said:

    Well, no, actually I wasn't kidding. You are the one who always seems to
    have an interesting paper or two to post, and who also seems to actually
    understand them. OK, be modest. lol!

    I am an information junkie, but I just find the stuff, I don't have
    expertise independent of it, other than personal experience. Honest.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, though. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, I wasn't referring to Bev-Ann. She's a nice sort, as far as I've been
    able to tell, but somehow there has been some miscommunication between you
    two and it's likely kind of temporary. But there is always a tendency for
    folks to fail to understand that *their* experience is not necessarily
    applicable to everyone (or even anyone) else. Heck, I even do that sometimes
    and I *know* better.

    You're nicer than I am. I think she was baiting, though lamely.

    Quoted message said:


    I was remembering some of the abuse people like Lee used to take from a few
    individuals who just seemed to want to knock him down a peg. And feisty as
    Lee is, it got a little ugly sometimes. He was such a great resource,
    though.

    He often had good information, true. But it seems he only posts here
    occasionally to take a nasty, profane cheap shot at someone and leave.
    I can't remember the last time he posted constructively, and I've been
    here since the late 90s, I think. Also, a lot of his information came
    straight from the highly unreliable LEF website. I honestly can't recall
    others taking issue with his information, but that may have been before
    my time?

    Susan

  5. x-no-archive: yes

    Hannah Gruen said:

    "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    In the news recently was a study that used approximately
    what Atkins actually is to treat epilepsy. The concept
    was that a severe ketogenic diet works therefore it is
    worth testing whether a moderate ketogenic diet would
    work. Since on what Atkins actually is you build up to
    the point of being just barely in ketosis, it is as
    moderate as you can get without expensive testing.

    Good example, Doug. I think the concept was that using Atkins, which is
    pretty simple, doctors could kinda screen the kids. If they improved on
    Atkins, it might indicate that they would be a good candidate for the more
    stringent ketogenic diet successfully used for kids with epilepsy.

    I haven't seen this study, but it's a move in the right direction.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    PCOS - Many report relieved symptoms.

    PCOS patients, I believe, are typically severely insulin resistant. As I
    understand it, a low-carb diet helps mitigate the insulin resistance,
    thereby reducing a lot of their symptoms and helping to normalize endocrine
    function. So it's kind of an unusual and not-very-well-understood variant on
    insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome that includes some other hormonal
    abnormalities.

    PCOS is what brought me to low carb; I got sick of constant cysts,
    researched the causes on Medline and the only thing I could find was IR
    and diabetes. What a shock; I was on the Ornish plan and got sicker and
    sicker!

    I had my last cyst and my last bout of fibromyalgia the day I cut out
    starch and sugar. PCOS is caused by IR; the other abnormalities are
    caused by excess androgens produced by the ovaries in response to
    hyperinsulinemia.

    Susan

  6. x-no-archive: yes

    Martha S. Gallagher said:

    Yeah, but you know I've been casually watching this and a related thread
    for a while and I see one problem. There seems to be an assumption that
    everyone who has some of the factors that are correlated w/ metabolic
    syndrome necessarily *has* metabolic syndrome.

    I was fat all my life and at my heaviest I was definitely obese (220 on
    a 5'6" small boned frame), even now I'm not skinny (145, which puts my
    BMI at around 24.5, but the calipers say I'm a bit over 30%BF). I found
    losing weight very easy while doing low carb.

    So, it would seem that that would indicate that I'm metabolically
    resistant - except that by pretty much all the standards, I wasn't and
    am not.

    Okay, but what does that have to do with metabolic syndrome?

    Quoted message said:

    My fat distribution was always pear shaped, my HDL was always
    high, when I tested my BG levels for fun (including some tests off-plan)
    my levels were mostly quite stable and there were a couple of other
    factors that I've since forgotten which were markers of ms that didn't
    jibe w/ my profile.

    I think the point I made was that the obese PLUS those with metabolic
    syndrome make up most of the U.S. population. Not that all obese folks
    have the syndrome, though I believe most do, or at least components of it.

    Quoted message said:


    I think that, for me, the reason low carb works really well is that it's
    an adequate protein diet. Doing low fat, I ate much lower totals of
    protein during the day than I do now, and my perception is that that is
    one of the main reasons I was hungry all the time.

    This is very possible.

    Quoted message said:


    So, my experience leads me to believe that not everyone who is fat and
    benefits from low carb necessarily has metabolic syndrome.

    Ok. But who said they did?

    I think,

    Quoted message said:

    rather, that there are probably several mechanisms at work here that
    make this a good way of eating for many people (and, quite possibly,
    some which do make it less satisfactory for others).

    Sure.

    Susan

  7. x-no-archive: yes

    Max Hollywood Harris said:
    Susan said:

    x-no-archive: yes
    Diabetes, hypertension, obesity, CVD are all related to metabolic
    syndrome. Can you tell me all the *other* groups that low carbing is
    marketed to?

    The generally active, oddly enough.

    http://www.michelob.com/michelob_site.html

    Check out the TV ads for Mick Ultra.

    -Hollywood, who should have so much fun drinking beer.

    I meant low carb diets, not products.

    Susan

  8. "Martha S. Gallagher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, but you know I've been casually watching this and a related thread
    for a while and I see one problem. There seems to be an assumption that
    everyone who has some of the factors that are correlated w/ metabolic
    syndrome necessarily *has* metabolic syndrome.

    Martha, it's my impression that there is a lot of uncertainty about exactly
    what metabolic syndrome entails, and how it begins and progresses. When it's
    well-developed, and many of the symptoms have become evident, it's fairly
    obvious. But it is apparently a "disease" that takes decades to develop. And
    accordingly, many of the "markers", such as blood lipid parameters or blood
    glucose abnormalities, may not show up for a long time. And yet the person
    may well be in the early stages of the syndrome. Or not, it's just not
    definitively diagnosable until the person reaches a relatively late stage.
    Even at the late stage, each person will have a different set of symptoms,
    not necessarily all of them, and they may show up in a different order in
    each person. Some people exhibit Type II diabetes (part of the syndrome)
    very early on, some never get to that point, or they will have a heart
    attack early on. Etc.

    For what it's worth, obesity/overweight is often considered to be one of the
    classic early symptoms of the syndrome, because the increase in insulin
    levels does tend to affect appetite in most people.

    HG

  9. "Susan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    He often had good information, true. But it seems he only posts here
    occasionally to take a nasty, profane cheap shot at someone and leave.
    I can't remember the last time he posted constructively, and I've been
    here since the late 90s, I think. Also, a lot of his information came
    straight from the highly unreliable LEF website. I honestly can't recall
    others taking issue with his information, but that may have been before my
    time?

    Possibly. He was always kinda cantankerous, even when making a lot of useful
    contributions. That in itself tends to be kind of a lightening rod for
    personal attack. And as with Lyle, the attacks usually seemed to be
    motivated more by someone wanting to take the "expert" down a couple pegs,
    rather than a genuine controversy over the information.

    HG

  10. x-no-archive: yes

    Hannah Gruen said:

    Possibly. He was always kinda cantankerous, even when making a lot of useful
    contributions.

    This I recall vividly. :-)

    That in itself tends to be kind of a lightening rod for

    Quoted message said:

    personal attack. And as with Lyle, the attacks usually seemed to be
    motivated more by someone wanting to take the "expert" down a couple pegs,
    rather than a genuine controversy over the information.

    Maybe, but each sure gave the opposition an attractive target, no?
    Perhaps the fact that each one cared too much about being acknowledged
    as expert?

    Susan

  11. "Susan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That in itself tends to be kind of a lightening rod for
    personal attack. And as with Lyle, the attacks usually seemed to be
    motivated more by someone wanting to take the "expert" down a couple
    pegs, rather than a genuine controversy over the information.

    Maybe, but each sure gave the opposition an attractive target, no? Perhaps
    the fact that each one cared too much about being acknowledged as expert?

    Yes, definitely both make good targets. Heh. And yes, I think both like
    being seen as an expert. Especially Lyle, but then he actually IS an expert.
    Lee... I'm not sure it was that so much as extreme irritation at people who
    clearly had never bothered to gain any understanding of the subject, but
    would have what seemed like the chutzpah to argue endless with him, someone
    who had worked very hard to understand it. I find that irritation
    understandable, actually, being the sometimes less-than-patient person that
    I am.

    HG

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.