UK and Europe · Public discussion

Local Farcilities

Started by Simon Mason · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,279 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 July 2003
Last activity
1 August 2003
Original author
Simon Mason
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,279
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Tony W wrote in uk.rec.cycling: about:
    Re: Local Farcilities

    Quoted message said:

    In days of old, when knights were bold we British had a set of signs all our own -- some other
    European countries were also 'different'. Then, in a fit of harmonisation -- probably long before
    the Common Market reached these shores, we all adopted a fairly similar set of signs.

    [I find it somewhat comical that some people even now still refer to the EU as the "Common
    Market" ;-) ]

    Quoted message said:

    For a while (ISTR) the new harmonised signs where a bit unharmonised and confusing. Those pesky
    Europeans used a non standard red octagon with STOP, we uses a point down triangle surrounded by a
    red circle with either HALT or STOP in it.

    I believe the reason for STOP signs being octagonal (all new British STOP signs are also octagonal)
    is so that they can be uniquely identified if covered in snow. The Give Way sign is an inverted
    triangle for a similar reason, I guess.

    Quoted message said:

    As for the NSL sign, the older amongst us still think of it as 'Any Speed You Like' -- i.e. a
    derestriction sign and so part of the family with 'you can now overtake etc.

    Since you're posting in a cycling newsgroup, I sincerely hope you in no way believe NSL to mean "Any
    Speed You Like". If you actually do drive in an insane fashion like that, you should have your
    licence revoked!

    Quoted message said:

    Signs with red circles are don't do, point down triangles are do and point up triangles are
    warnings.

    Strictly speaking, the inverted triangle is an exception, and circular blue signs are those which
    "give positive instructions" (eg, turn left ONLY ahead, route for cycle ONLY)

    --
    David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
    web.viewport.co.ukweb.viewport.co.uk | Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |

    Quoted message said:

    Please interleave & trim quotes otherwise your posts will be ignored.<


    begin Outlook is broken: see web.viewport.co.ukoutbreak |

  2. "David Marsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    [I find it somewhat comical that some people even now still refer to the EU as the "Common
    Market" ;-) ]

    That was what it was called when the UK joined it - hence my use of the phrase. I fully appreciate
    that it has had several name changes and is now (for the time being at least) the European Union.
    When I refer to its current incarnation I would normally use the term European Union or EU.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe the reason for STOP signs being octagonal (all new British STOP signs are also
    octagonal) is so that they can be uniquely identified if covered in snow. The Give Way sign is an
    inverted triangle for a similar reason, I guess.

    That could be true. I've heard it before -- though it could be an urban myth.

    Quoted message said:

    Since you're posting in a cycling newsgroup, I sincerely hope you in no way believe NSL to mean
    "Any Speed You Like". If you actually do drive in an insane fashion like that, you should have
    your licence revoked!

    I thought I made it perfectly clear that, though I think of the sign as an 'any speed you like' sign
    (a reflection of what we called it as children) I am very aware that it is an NSL sign. I will not
    claim never to have broken the speed limit (nor to never now break the speed limit) though would
    claim to be getting more responsible as I get older.

    ; )

    T

  3. [Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments] Tony W wrote in uk.rec.cycling: about:
    Re: Local Farcilities

    Quoted message said:


    "David Marsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    [I find it somewhat comical that some people even now still refer to the EU as the "Common
    Market" ;-) ]

    That was what it was called when the UK joined it - hence my use of the phrase.

    Wasn't it the "European Economic Community" then? I thought that "Common Market" was just an
    idiomatic term?

    Quoted message said:

    I fully appreciate that it has had several name changes and is now (for the time being at least)
    the European Union. When I refer to its current incarnation I would normally use the term European
    Union or EU.

    I take your point! Sorry, I thought perhaps you were still calling it that! I find it funny the
    number of people who, even today, make comments such as "I wonder what wacky legislation the EEC
    [sic] is foisting upon us this week.."

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I believe the reason for STOP signs being octagonal (all new British STOP signs are also
    octagonal) is so that they can be uniquely identified if covered in snow. The Give Way sign is an
    inverted triangle for a similar reason, I guess.

    That could be true. I've heard it before -- though it could be an urban myth.

    Seems plausible to me, otherwise you could come up to a junction and see a circular sign which could
    equally well be a "No right turn" as a STOP sign.. With the octagon, you would know that it is a
    STOP sign and you'd have to stop. Of course, everybody should be driving more slowly and carefully
    in heavy snow anyway.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Since you're posting in a cycling newsgroup, I sincerely hope you in no way believe NSL to mean
    "Any Speed You Like". If you actually do drive in an insane fashion like that, you should have
    your licence revoked!

    I thought I made it perfectly clear that, though I think of the sign as an 'any speed you like'
    sign (a reflection of what we called it as children) I am very aware that it is an NSL sign. I
    will not claim never to have broken the speed limit (nor to never now break the speed limit)
    though would claim to be getting more responsible as I get older.

    Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote (too easy on usenet). I thought you meant you actually did
    treat the sign as such in your "misspent youth"! :-( Sadly, too many people do, however.. :-(

    --
    David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
    web.viewport.co.ukweb.viewport.co.uk | Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |

    Quoted message said:

    Please interleave & trim quotes otherwise your posts will be ignored.<


    begin Outlook is broken: see web.viewport.co.ukoutbreak |

  4. On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:46:04 +0100 someone who may be David Marsh <[email hidden]>
    wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I take your point! Sorry, I thought perhaps you were still calling it that! I find it funny the
    number of people who, even today, make comments such as "I wonder what wacky legislation the EEC
    [sic] is foisting upon us this week.."

    Just like those people who think there is an organisation called Edinburgh District Council.

    Even more amusing are those who think that there is a Road Fund (and a tax paid into this fund)
    which pays for the roads.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  5. "David Marsh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    That was what it was called when the UK joined it - hence my use of the phrase.

    Wasn't it the "European Economic Community" then? I thought that "Common Market" was just an
    idiomatic term?

    You may be right.

    Quoted message said:

    I take your point! Sorry, I thought perhaps you were still calling it that! I find it funny the
    number of people who, even today, make comments such as "I wonder what wacky legislation the EEC
    [sic] is foisting upon us this week.."

    I thought it was one of those strangely conjugated English verbs as it.

    It was a great success -- your government dun it fer you. It was a stupid idea -- the Common Market
    dun it fer you. It was a very stupid idea -- it was the Frogs!!

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote (too easy on usenet). I thought you meant you actually did
    treat the sign as such in your "misspent


    youth"! :-(

    Quoted message said:

    Sadly, too many people do, however.. :-(

    True.

    T

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.