Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Lock pickers and bike thieves...

Started by Gwood · · Last activity · 20 posts · 4,383 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
16 September 2004
Last activity
20 September 2004
Original author
Gwood
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,383
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>
    Subject: Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint
    pen
    Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

    http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html

    Any thoughts on this?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>
    Subject: Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint
    pen
    Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

    http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html

    Any thoughts on this?

    Shotgun enema. Hmm, don't want to forget That switch before you ride
    away. I think I'll stick the the townie concept, and leave the nice
    rides inside.
    But you go right ahead Phil.

    Shawn

  3. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the
    seatpost. A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing
    mechanism. Lock the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts
    your lock and tries to ride off... body weight on the pin ... one
    bump.... sweet justice.

    Looks like the market for drilled-through seatpost shafts and cutout saddles
    is going to skyrocket!

    Hmm... I wonder what the legal ramifications are of this. I remember when
    some store owner that kept getting robbed either set up an electric shock or
    a shotgun trigger that fired when the door was opened. The robber was
    killed, and I don't remember what happened to the owner, but I think he was
    incarcerated. Anyone remember the rest of this story?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.

    I like the idea of amputating a single joint from one finger of the perp's
    choice for each theft conviction.

    That way, the inevitable false convictions won't maim anybody...and even a
    3-time loser wouldn't be unemployable....but at least when people saw somebody
    with only a couple fingers they'd know who was around...

    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the
    seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to
    ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.


    You might want to get brainstorm with Blaine (BB) of this one; He already
    has similar thing going. It's injects elastomer bumpers up yer keister,
    but apparently it does this too efficiently because the victim/rectum
    doesn't even realize what happened ;-P

    --
    Slacker - sorry BB, I just can't let it go

  6. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    Are you serious? This is called a booby trap and is illegal in most
    places. I expect you're just venting about thieves. I agree they should
    be shot, but this way will land you in jail.

    --
    paul DOT cassel aT
    gMail dot COM

  7. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the
    seatpost. A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing
    mechanism. Lock the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts
    your lock and tries to ride off... body weight on the pin ... one
    bump.... sweet justice.

    Looks like the market for drilled-through seatpost shafts and cutout saddles
    is going to skyrocket!

    Hmm... I wonder what the legal ramifications are of this. I remember when
    some store owner that kept getting robbed either set up an electric shock or
    a shotgun trigger that fired when the door was opened. The robber was
    killed, and I don't remember what happened to the owner, but I think he was
    incarcerated. Anyone remember the rest of this story?

    Ask Paul Harvey.

    JD

  8. Gwood said...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    Don't quit your day job, dude.

  9. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    Personally if caught I think almost every possesion he/she has should
    be taken from them because you don't know if it was acquired by theft
    or purchased using funds from selling stolen goods (leaving just the
    very basic necessary items). Then send details of his conviction to
    parents, family and his/her employer warning that this person is
    dishonest. Plus of course a small custodial sentence that is deeply
    unpleasant like working on a chain gang cleaning/repairing sewers for
    example.

    From my uk perspective and I suspect much the same in the usa and
    mainland europe there is an acceptance of crime from politicians.
    Almost to the point of seeing the criminals as the victims (poor
    upbringing, poor education, dis-illusioned) and therefore no real
    punishment is dished out.

  10. Gwood said:

    I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
    A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
    the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
    off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

    From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>
    Subject: Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint
    pen
    Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

    http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14/opening_a_pricey_bik.html

    Any thoughts on this?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training


    i like it alot.
    i have a good idea too, though not as gentle.
    you set your bike in a high theft area, and wait in the parkinglot with some buddies. when your bike is being stolen, rush the guy and beat the [censored] out of him.
    after a few times word will spread and people wont be so willing to steal in your nieghborhood.

    seriously, i would never dare to ride my bike knowing what is in the seat post.
    my reccomendation would be have the armed seatpost in a backpack, and a normal one for riding. then when parked make the switch.

  11. Mr_Kingkillaha said:

    i have a good idea too, though not as gentle.
    you set your bike in a high theft area, and wait in the parkinglot with
    some buddies. when your bike is being stolen, rush the guy and beat the
    [censored] out of him.
    after a few times word will spread and people wont be so willing to
    steal in your nieghborhood.


    Excellent :-) :-)

    --
    Slacker

  12. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    From my uk perspective and I suspect much the same in the usa and
    mainland europe there is an acceptance of crime from politicians.
    Almost to the point of seeing the criminals as the victims (poor
    upbringing, poor education, dis-illusioned) and therefore no real
    punishment is dished out.

    I think it's worse in UK and Germany.

    I've got in-laws in Germany and a cousin in UK.

    Visiting both (who live in economically-comparable areas to mine near
    Philadelphia, PA) it seems to me, from the extends to which they go to lock
    things up, that theft in both places is borderline-legal.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  13. Slacker said:

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:45:59 +1000, Mr_Kingkillaha

    Quoted message said:

    i have a good idea too, though not as gentle.
    you set your bike in a high theft area, and wait in the parkinglot with
    some buddies. when your bike is being stolen, rush the guy and beat the
    [censored] out of him.
    after a few times word will spread and people wont be so willing to
    steal in your nieghborhood.


    Excellent :-) :-)

    --
    Slacker

    that works around here! only difference is after a 800m sprint to catch the perpretrator 1 or 2 smacks later your hoping that he doesn't want to fight back 🙂

    Damian??????

  14. closesupport said:

    that works around here! only difference is after a 800m sprint to catch the perpretrator 1 or 2 smacks later your hoping that he doesn't want to fight back 🙂

    Damian??????


    im not very big in the first place, thats what the buddies are for. although in a desparate pinch, i would rather get in my car and run over the guy on my bike than let him steal it. i mean either way i dont have a bike, but atleast i get revenge. and maybe i could salvage the pedals and handlebars 🙂

  15. Mr_Kingkillaha said:

    im not very big in the first place, thats what the buddies are for. although in a desparate pinch, i would rather get in my car and run over the guy on my bike than let him steal it. i mean either way i dont have a bike, but atleast i get revenge. and maybe i could salvage the pedals and handlebars 🙂

    SIZE ISN'T EVERYTHING A FEW MONTHS AGO, WHILST I WAS IN KFC SOME GUY DECIDED HE LIKED MY BIKE AND TOOK OFF ON IT, HE HAD A GOOD 800M START, I HAD TO SPRINT 800M.

    YOU KNOW THAT FEELING YOU GET IN YOUR LEGS WHEN THERE SAYING THERE QUITTING ON YOU, NOWAY WAS HE GETTING AWAY ON IT, I DUG IN DEEP PUSHED IT FOR A FURTHER 200M DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, PLACED MY HAND IN THE BACK OF HIS COLAR, THEN STOPPED INSTANTLY.

    THE NOISE OF ELEEEEEK! WAS PRETTY AMAZING, I WAS KNACKED AND HE WAS PRETTY MUCH VERY AFFRAID, I GUESS I HAD ALMOST HUNG HIM AS HE LAY THERE TRYING TO REGAIN HIS BREATH. HIS OWN FAULT AS I PEDALED OFF.😄

    IF I HAD THE BREATH, I WOULD PROBALY HAVE BEEN ON A CHARGE FOR GBH.:eek:

  16. closesupport says:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    YOU KNOW THAT FEELING YOU GET IN YOUR LEGS WHEN THERE SAYING THERE
    QUITTING ON YOU,

    Still had enough breath left to shout, though... ;-)

    Bike thieves deserve to be hung.

    Steve

  17. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    i have a good idea too, though not as gentle.
    you set your bike in a high theft area, and wait in the parkinglot with
    some buddies. when your bike is being stolen, rush the guy and beat the
    [censored] out of him.
    after a few times word will spread and people wont be so willing to
    steal in your nieghborhood.

    My late brother, living in Hawaii where theft is basically legal, was living in
    a little apartment complex where the apartments fanned out on either side of the
    owner/manager's office/residence.

    One night somebody was trying to break into something. The manager ran out
    with a .45 automatic and just *emptied* that thing into the sounds of the night.

    My brother determined later later that he was shooting blanks...but they didn't
    have any more theft problems for awhile. I'm guessing that work got out that
    the manager was crazy...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  18. If it doesn't kill him or her,your get sued big time.
    Remember criminals have rights too. But nice try.

    I MTB 2004

  19. I just make sure I can take my bike wherever I go with it, if I have to lock
    it up there I just dont go. Nice idea though.
    J

  20. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
    (loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the


    seatpost.

    Quoted message said:


    I like the idea of amputating a single joint from one finger of the perp's
    choice for each theft conviction.

    That way, the inevitable false convictions won't maim anybody...and even a
    3-time loser wouldn't be unemployable....but at least when people saw


    somebody

    Quoted message said:

    with only a couple fingers they'd know who was around...

    --
    PeteCresswell

    Brings a whole new meaning to "light fingered"...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.