Lockable bike sheds

a l l y

Guest
Hi folks - may I ask some advice from people who are probably in the know
about these things?

I want to put up a small shed/cabinet/storage thingy outside our house, in
our back garden, probably against the wall somewhere, to store our two
bikes. It just needs to be big enough to hold 2 bikes securely, be
watertight and be lockable. It sounds very simple, and I thought there would
be such things available all over the place, but I can't find one.

I don't want something big and expensive, and I'm quite happy to build my
own if necessary, but before I start trying to draw up plans I thought it
might be a good idea to get advice from those who have gone before me.

So any ideas? Where could I buy such a thing? Or where can I get plans to
build my own?

Thanks.

ally

In article <[email protected]>, a l l y
<[email protected]> wrote:
> So any ideas? Where could I buy such a thing? Or where can I get
> plans to build my own?

There is a new one available for collection three doors away from me.
The LA decided that it needed planning and friendly neighbour
consent. Worth checking.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

a l l y wrote:
> I want to put up a small shed/cabinet/storage thingy outside our house, in
> our back garden, probably against the wall somewhere, to store our two
> bikes.

Try these people:
http://www.cycle-works.com/

Bob

a l l y wrote:
> Hi folks - may I ask some advice from people who are probably in the know
> about these things?
>
> I want to put up a small shed/cabinet/storage thingy outside our house, in
> our back garden, probably against the wall somewhere, to store our two
> bikes. It just needs to be big enough to hold 2 bikes securely, be
> watertight and be lockable. It sounds very simple, and I thought there would
> be such things available all over the place, but I can't find one.
>
> I don't want something big and expensive, and I'm quite happy to build my
> own if necessary, but before I start trying to draw up plans I thought it
> might be a good idea to get advice from those who have gone before me.
>
> So any ideas? Where could I buy such a thing? Or where can I get plans to
> build my own?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ally

I've got my bikes stored in one of these:
http://www.trimetals.co.uk/bicycle.php?m=4

Although it may be the 'big and expensive' something you specifically
don't want.

"Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, a l l y
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> So any ideas? Where could I buy such a thing? Or where can I get
>> plans to build my own?

> There is a new one available for collection three doors away from me.
> The LA decided that it needed planning and friendly neighbour
> consent. Worth checking.

And this is in Millport is it? Hmm... A trip doon the watter might be nice
this time of year... tell me more!

ally

"Bob Johnstone" <bob.johnstoneReplaceThisWithAnAtSignphysics.org> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>a l l y wrote:
>> I want to put up a small shed/cabinet/storage thingy outside our house,
>> in our back garden, probably against the wall somewhere, to store our two
>> bikes.

> Try these people:
> http://www.cycle-works.com/

Oh, some of those look good. No prices, though...

ally

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:14:01 +0100, "a l l y"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi folks - may I ask some advice from people who are probably in the know
>about these things?
>
>I want to put up a small shed/cabinet/storage thingy outside our house, in
>our back garden, probably against the wall somewhere, to store our two
>bikes. It just needs to be big enough to hold 2 bikes securely, be
>watertight and be lockable. It sounds very simple, and I thought there would
>be such things available all over the place, but I can't find one.
>
>I don't want something big and expensive, and I'm quite happy to build my
>own if necessary, but before I start trying to draw up plans I thought it
>might be a good idea to get advice from those who have gone before me.
>
>So any ideas? Where could I buy such a thing? Or where can I get plans to
>build my own?

I built my own.

6"x6" fence posts.
6"x2" timber
Plywood
Corrugated plastic

1. Build a wedge shaped frame using the fence posts and timber
(Do not use timber at the bottom of the front end)
2. Nail on the plywood (cut to shape first)
3. Nail on the corrugated plastic
4. If required build a door

Note: I didn't build a door as I live in the middle and on the ground
floor of a row of terraced flats, with a similar row facing. To enter
my garden someone would have to climb through a minimum of five
gardens.

"Tilly" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> I built my own.
>
> 6"x6" fence posts.
> 6"x2" timber
> Plywood
> Corrugated plastic
>
> 1. Build a wedge shaped frame using the fence posts and timber
> (Do not use timber at the bottom of the front end)
> 2. Nail on the plywood (cut to shape first)
> 3. Nail on the corrugated plastic
> 4. If required build a door
>
> Note: I didn't build a door as I live in the middle and on the ground
> floor of a row of terraced flats, with a similar row facing. To enter
> my garden someone would have to climb through a minimum of five
> gardens.

Sounds very enterprising, but is it watertight? We live in direct line of
howling gales and regular torrential downpours across the Solway Firth.

ally

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:22:23 +0100, "a l l y"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tilly" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> I built my own.
>>
>> 6"x6" fence posts.
>> 6"x2" timber
>> Plywood
>> Corrugated plastic
>>
>> 1. Build a wedge shaped frame using the fence posts and timber
>> (Do not use timber at the bottom of the front end)
>> 2. Nail on the plywood (cut to shape first)
>> 3. Nail on the corrugated plastic
>> 4. If required build a door
>>
>> Note: I didn't build a door as I live in the middle and on the ground
>> floor of a row of terraced flats, with a similar row facing. To enter
>> my garden someone would have to climb through a minimum of five
>> gardens.

>Sounds very enterprising, but is it watertight? We live in direct line of
>howling gales and regular torrential downpours across the Solway Firth.

It doesn't have a floor, but that wouldn't be too hard to organise.
Two fence posts on the ground with a sealed 6'x30" board on top, the
frame attached to the floor. The plywood sides and end are clinker
built, the corrugated plastic roof overlaps the front, side and lower
end where the water drains onto flower beds. Without a door or floor
it can't be watertight, but raised a few inches, with a floor and with
a door it would be.

Designing and building from scratch is great fun, but I strongly
recommend making several sketches from different angles beforehand so
you are clear about what you are doing.

"Tilly" <[email protected]> wrote in message >>
>>Sounds very enterprising, but is it watertight? We live in direct line of
>>howling gales and regular torrential downpours across the Solway Firth.

> It doesn't have a floor, but that wouldn't be too hard to organise.
> Two fence posts on the ground with a sealed 6'x30" board on top, the
> frame attached to the floor. The plywood sides and end are clinker
> built, the corrugated plastic roof overlaps the front, side and lower
> end where the water drains onto flower beds. Without a door or floor
> it can't be watertight, but raised a few inches, with a floor and with
> a door it would be.
>
> Designing and building from scratch is great fun, but I strongly
> recommend making several sketches from different angles beforehand so
> you are clear about what you are doing.

OK, thanks - useful advice. I may just design my own at this rate.

ally