London Marathon - anyone interested in riding?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by kington99, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Hello all, my brother is competing in the London (UK) marathon on the
    23rd, I'm going to get down there and ride to meet him at various
    points around the course as he runs. I was wondering if anyone else
    fancied the jaunt round london, I'm only on a 24" Muni so it's not
    going to be that quick (unless anyone can lend me a coker). I've not
    worked out the route yet but it will short cut significantly the
    course, there's no way i can beat my brother over 26 miles on a 24"!
    It's going to be a fairly early start as he's starting 45 minutes ahead
    of the main pack, so if anyone's interested let me know!

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  2. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    kington99 wrote:
    > Hello all, my brother is competing in the London (UK) marathon on the
    > 23rd, I'm going to get down there and ride to meet him at various
    > points around the course as he runs. I was wondering if anyone else
    > fancied the jaunt round london, I'm only on a 24" Muni so it's not
    > going to be that quick (unless anyone can lend me a coker). I've not
    > worked out the route yet but it will short cut significantly the
    > course, there's no way i can beat my brother over 26 miles on a 24"!
    > It's going to be a fairly early start as he's starting 45 minutes ahead
    > of the main pack, so if anyone's interested let me know!

    Have you been in town on Marathon day before? Just that several million
    people descending on London tends to make it a little crowded, it takes
    about an hour to just get across Greenwich on foot, let alone to get
    from one bit of the course to another. It really does get insanely
    crowded anywhere near the course.

    How comes he's starting before the main pack, is he a super fast person
    or something?

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  3. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    No to be honest i havent been in town on marathon day, i was hoping to
    cut across the back streets away from the course rather than ride along
    it, and just come back close to the course at certain points. Im sure
    the crowding will be an issue though, thanks for your advice. Yeah he's
    never raced marathon before but he's in with the elite group, they
    actually start in a different place to the rest so hopefully i'll be
    able to get closer to him at the start.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  4. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

    I'd have to say leave the Uni behind. As Joe said it'll be ridiculously
    busy just about everywhere. Should you want to take public transport
    they may not let you take the uni...

    --
    mikepenton
    mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

  5. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Well, I have to say you were all wrong. The uni went on a bus, tube and
    train just fine and it was easy to get through the crowds, although I
    admit they may have been thinner because it was raining. However while
    riding along the pavement this happened. Bugger. Luckily i had my muni
    rucksack so i strapped it on and carried it for the rest of the day.

    |Filename: DSCF0052.JPG |

    kington99

    Dave

  6. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    Man that's cool that you got through the crowds and unicycled on!

    But that's seriously uncool what happened to your rim. Just riding
    along the pavement? Is that the sidewall coming off? How old is it?
    Any chance of warranty getting you a replacement?

    i see it's one of those dodgy kris holm rims so it's maybe not too
    shocking that it failed.

    T.

    --
    DarkTom

    '*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth
    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    \"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  7. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Yep, im sending the hub spokes and nipples to Roger at UDC and he has
    offered to build a new wheel with them ASAP and free of charge and ship
    it back to me, impecable customer service as always. I was riding on a
    moderate hill, with the brakes on, and it just went with a bang and
    threw me off. The rim peeled the way the others did around the groove.
    The worst thing was that I was trying to get to the next section before
    my brother so I had to run for over a mile with it on my shoulder to
    beat him to it.

    But the real point of all this is that my brother came 816th in 2:55:49
    :D

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  8. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    Good old Roger!

    Bad old Kris Holm.

    I would get it rebuilt with a different rim.

    Thats a really good time for your brother tho!

    T.