London to Oxford Sunday

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Daren Austin, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    Anyone else planning on doing London-Oxford this Sunday?

    Well organised event, but not much happening in Oxford at the end. You
    can take your bike back to London on the Oxford Tube or X90 coaches
    free of charge (Or ride back).

    Look out for me and my son Thomas. We'll be on the yellow kiddyback
    Tandem. Thomas is 6, but has been in training. He managed 32 miles on
    _real_ roads last Sunday on the Anthony Nolan round OXON ride (on his
    own bike no less).

    kind regards,

    Daren
    ---
    remove outer garment for reply

    Tags:

  2. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    [email protected] (Daren Austin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone else planning on doing London-Oxford this Sunday?

    Well we did it!

    Highlights:
    Cruising at >20mph on the rollers along the top of the Chilterns
    40mph down a wet hill into Watlington (had to hold back)
    Red Kite spotting <url:
    http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gerrywhitlow/index.html>
    Sheltering under the trees from 'stair-rod' like rain next to an old
    MG TF
    Climbing those hills...(no really....)
    Announcer at the start and finish who gave Thomas a great send off and
    welcome
    Big two-tone horn purchased for the trip
    Mobile backup who kept cheering us on
    Daddy fixing a stranded cyclist's broken chain. The group looked
    well-impressed when I donned latex gloves for the procedure. The
    operation was a success but the patient was lost to follow up

    Photo ops:
    Richmond (start)
    Pinewood studios
    Cookham River Thames
    Marlow suspension bridge
    Marlow Ice cream stop
    Chiltern hills
    Christmas Common
    Oxford (finish) with a BIG rainbow

    Those food stats in full:
    2 x peanut butter rolls
    0.5 x sausage roll
    1 x chocolate sponge bar
    4 x dried apricots
    1 x ice cream with flake
    2 x bananas
    1 x hot dog
    12 x chocolate bourbon biscuits

    ALL consumed by one six year old!!!! (I ate a ham sandwich, lots of
    fig and date shortcake, some dried fruit and two flasks of tea) Those
    chocolate bourbons are my top stokid tip. One biscuit every 3-4miles.
    Chocolate taste but no melting, kept in a seatpack behind the captain.

    Packing for adversity:
    2 x coats
    1 x sallopettes
    1 x kids tights
    2 x warm jerseys
    Spare long-fingered gloves
    First Aid kit (you never know, particularly with boys)
    Tool kit (allen keys, leatherman, chain tool, spare links, spare spd
    cleat, pump, inner tubes, puncture kit, tyre levers, adjustable
    spanner, pedal
    spanner/cone spanner, crank tool...)
    Steel thermos flask (gotta have tea)
    Food (see above!)
    2L water and 2L of Sports drink (orange squash to Thomas)
    Digital camera
    Maps
    Phone and wallet

    The foam football was left behind signalling the serious nature of the
    ride, and the lack of pannier space :)

    Bike is a Dawes Twocan kiddyback tandem (30 kilos?) with about 10
    kilos of luggage and 27 kilos of stokid and a not-low-enough bottom
    gear. We only walked one very sharp hill (I pushed Thomas pedalled).
    Think of it as the heaviest touring bike you ever rode, I kept telling
    myself. I did the ride on my Brompton L6 last year in less than 2/3 of
    the time and 1/2 the effort, but where's the achievement in that :)

    Thomas' headteacher presented him with his certificate in assembly
    this morning.

    Kind regards,

    Daren
    ---

  3. [email protected] (Daren Austin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well we did it!

    Well done.

    I saw you coming into the park in Marlow for the lunch stop (but
    couldn't remember the details so didn't greet you as a u.r.c'er).

    The whole ride seemed much quieter than previous London-Oxford ones I
    have done (I turned up on spec with 10 mins to the end of starting
    time and got number 649 - previously I thought numbers had gone easily
    into four figures).

    I didn't remember the long haul from Marlow to Frieth from previous
    trips (so much so that I thought they had taken a different route this
    year and we were going to miss out the beech alley climb from Turville
    to Christmas Common - but then I arrived in Vicar of Dibley land and
    knew what was coming next....)

    I'm afraid that I christened my naff-looking but very effective Tchibo
    cycling cape when the rain hit on the descent into Watlington - and
    worried whether my brakes would be OK with wet wheels on that hill. (I
    survived).

    Must also say that I was impressed with the organisation after all the
    adverse comments on London-Brighton last weekend. Loads of mechanics
    at the stops. Good marshalling throughout. Good home made cake at
    Chalgrove. Effective return transport with TNT lorry for bikes and
    coaches for riders.

    Regards,
    Tim

  4. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    You should have said hello, I don't bite :)

    > I didn't remember the long haul from Marlow to Frieth from previous
    > trips (so much so that I thought they had taken a different route this
    > year and we were going to miss out the beech alley climb from Turville
    > to Christmas Common - but then I arrived in Vicar of Dibley land and
    > knew what was coming next....)

    I've cycled home this route from London a few times. the 3mi climb to
    Frieth was pretty good for us. That last "Beech alley" killed us
    ^H^H^H me...

    Great day out. Thomas slept in to 7AM this morning, he must be tired..
    ---
    Remove outer garment for reply