London to rome

DougDownunder

Feb 21, 2016
My wife and I have signed up for a tour from London to Rome, which we'll start shortly. One thing that always exercises folks - well, me anyway - about long rides, especially day after day, is keeping things cushy for one's tushy. An integral part of this is selecting a good chamois cream. I've started a blog for our ride and the first post plays around with this vital issue. Just for fun, there's a reader poll, and perhaps you can add a comment if you're so inclined. Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Doug

Can you share more about the ride? Like scheduling and stuff like that. I always had an ambition to do a long ride like this and I'm preparing for something smaller during the summer

Hi Bykster
We are leaving London in mid-May and it will take us a month to get to Rome. We are riding via Belgium, Champagne, Burgundy, Como, Gotthard Pass, the Dolomites and Venice. We are riding with Ride and Seek. Check out the blog post link I've inserted and look at the link I've put in that post.
Cheers
Doug

Oh, sorry didn't notice that you put the link in. I'll give it a read!

No worries. I've only got a bit of info about the trip in this, the first post, for the blog. I really wanted to see how the blog is going to look like and to play around with a fun idea. Ride and Seek's home page has got a lot of interesting stuff on it. I will have more about the ride once I've got more details about the exact route. I do know that we are going to visit important battle sites along the way, especially in France.
Cheers
Doug

You might also enjoy reading ... http://cyclingacrossaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/all-good-things.html

Last edited:
Greetings folks. Well, we leave for London in three days. Super excited! I've got a bit more info to share on our big tour. We'll be riding 3120 kilometres over the course of a month (26 actual days of riding with a few rest days in between). While that is not a huge distance - 120 kilometres per day - it is the amount of elevation that will be a challenge. We'll be doing 30,000 metres uphill, with 70% of that in the second section when we go through the Dolomites.
Here is a map showing our route ...

Caesar route.jpg

If you want to follow our progress, you can go to http://londontoromebybicycle.blogspot.com.au.
My intention is to do a blog post each day.
Did I mention that I'm getting excited?:)

This is really just a teaser. Today we had our first (half) day together as a group, preparing for our first real day on the bikes. Tomorrow we travel 160 (100 miles for the rest of you) kilometres to Dover. More to share then. In the meantime ...

Sounds like an exciting tour. A month of adventure and thrills. Wish I could be part of something like that. Hope you have fun riding those miles. That certainly is going to be a colorful ride, from London to Rome.

Whenever I would see a thread about Europe, it always rekindle my dream of seeing Europe. Not really on a bike but an ordinary tour like taking a train ride to see the suburbs, roaming the cities for the structures and tourist spots. And for riding starting from London and crossing the sea to continue the ride to Rome, I guess that's one great adventure on the road.

So, for anyone interested we are now at the halfway point in our ride from London to Rome. Two Americans and a bunch of Aussies on the road together (the Kiwis have now departed) on the road together with our Italian, British and Aussie guides.)
If you are at all interested in reading about our adventures here is the latest post.

Last edited:
It's a fantastic blog and some wonderful photography too. It looks like you're seeing a lot of incredibly beautiful places en route. I have to admit it's making me quite jealous! I'm definitely going to have to look into doing something similar soon.

Hi Folks
We've just had two gorgeous days cycling through Tuscany, which you can read about here. Hope you enjoy the reading of it.
This is my penultimate post, as we have a big day up next: 154 kms and 2000+ metres of elevation, so I'm sure I won't feel like posting after that. A short day into Rome follows, so I should be able to get something up after that and then we'll be done.
Cheers
Doug