looking for a new bike and need some advice.

arz

Jan 17, 2005
I have been cycling for about 3 years for triathlons and now 17 and wanting to upgrade my bike. I was currently riding at 2003 Giant OCR 3. My price range is $3000-$3500, I want a bike that is going to be comfortable to ride (important for us girls) but also will be suited to quite high levels of racing (what im nearing and aspiring to)and will not only serve me for triathlon but also road riding. Looking towards pursing this more seriously than my triathlon in the future. I need to replace my bike fairly quickly as I have grown out of it quite considerably and cant ride it without getting pretty bad cramps! And as it is the middle of the tri season at the moment thats not to good and I am quite keen to start racing with the local cycle club! The problem is I have been in the sport a while but not really up with the bikes at the moment!

If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Arz

come on help me out guys! even reputable brand names would be good! the bike market for a newie is pretty daunting!
Thanks
Arz

Get yourself a bike magazine. All the good companies have articles on their bikes written every month. At that price just about any bike should do what you want it to do.

arz said:
I have been cycling for about 3 years for triathlons and now 17 and wanting to upgrade my bike. I was currently riding at 2003 Giant OCR 3. My price range is $3000-$3500, I want a bike that is going to be comfortable to ride (important for us girls) but also will be suited to quite high levels of racing (what im nearing and aspiring to)and will not only serve me for triathlon but also road riding. Looking towards pursing this more seriously than my triathlon in the future. I need to replace my bike fairly quickly as I have grown out of it quite considerably and cant ride it without getting pretty bad cramps! And as it is the middle of the tri season at the moment thats not to good and I am quite keen to start racing with the local cycle club! The problem is I have been in the sport a while but not really up with the bikes at the moment!

Arz
Trek makes WSD (women's specific design) bikes. Cannondale also has their "femme" line. High-end stuff from both companies come with female versions. Giant makes nice bikes, but I still have to see a "female geometry" bike from them. Terry Bicycles (www.terrybicycles.com) specializes in women's bikes, and their frames are made of titanium.

If you're really serious about triathlons, look into TT bikes. The above three have very good models. However, comfort on TT bikes is rarely there.

If you've got money to burn, look into Seven Cycles They make custom frames according to your personal measurements (they do the measuring). Frames are also made from titanium.

In Sydney, see Europa cycles at Kensington. They'll fit you up for a custom frame made by Genesis for that sort of money. They made me one with 9 spd Ultegra throughout and good wheels in late 04. They gave me good service.

Lot's of great TT bike manufactures out there in add'n to the one listed, you might get a tri magazine. Cervelo, Specialized, Felt, etc all also make road bikes... a good bike shop might be your best bet to guide toward a road/TT 'switch hitter' and how to set it up/fit you. Best advice is take your time and ride a lot of different frames. For the kind of $$ you're talking about spending don't rush into a purchase.

arz said:

Arz
If you have a look through show me a picture of your ride, you'll see plenty, one in particular being mine, exactly the same as the BP Stealth in yellow perfect for time trials and triathon, duura ace group and cosmic wheels, make me an offer, i would say it was suitable for a female also since the what would be the top tube is very very low.

if your interested make me an OFFER! If you would rather purchase a new one try http://www.pedalforce.com/http://www.cyclingforums.com/Docume...l Settings/Temp//"http://www.pedalforce.com/" and view the Ra01 model... lovely light frame comes in a number of colors, or you could pay more for the identicle bike with the BP Stealth Decals http://www.bpstealth.com/ although this is not a nice as the pedalforce RA01 in full carbon weave.

I have one and i have never had a bike that cuts through the Air like this frame.

Thanks everyone for all your help...it was very much appreciated. I recently just purchased my new bike...i ended up with a Giant TCR Composite 1...its a dream to ride compared to my old bike and is performing very well! :) :)

Thanks again
Arz