Looking for BRIGHT and LIGHT helmet

Jeff Potter

Guest
I'm still looking for the right helmet.

I'm getting less picky.

I'd like one with a SAFE COLOR: a nice orange, yellow or red, say.

And the colored part should EXTEND TO THE LOWER REAR of the
helmet---so cars coming from behind see it nicely even when I'm, well,
in the riding position.

Then I'd also like the helmet to be LIGHTWEIGHT.

I hefted a few in the shop the other day. They seem HEAVY! Lots more
so than the old foam one I'm trying to replace anyway.

(I did find a nice orange one that might've worked, don't know if it
was light, or the brand, for $170. Uh...)

THANKS!

--JP

Jeff Potter wrote:

> I'm still looking for the right helmet.
>
> I'm getting less picky.
>
> I'd like one with a SAFE COLOR: a nice orange, yellow or red, say.
>
> And the colored part should EXTEND TO THE LOWER REAR of the
> helmet---so cars coming from behind see it nicely even when I'm, well,
> in the riding position.
>
> Then I'd also like the helmet to be LIGHTWEIGHT.
>
> I hefted a few in the shop the other day. They seem HEAVY! Lots more
> so than the old foam one I'm trying to replace anyway.
>
> (I did find a nice orange one that might've worked, don't know if it
> was light, or the brand, for $170. Uh...)

What you describe is indeed hard to find. Performance is having a helmet sale,
with all kinds, colors, weights, and prices. I'd get a cheaper one, and plaster
it with reflective tape, and/or paint it. You can get paint for styrofoam model
airplanes in hobby stores. (Regular spray paint eats styrofoam.)

Matt O.

On 6 Oct 2004 10:54:39 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff
Potter) wrote:

>I'm still looking for the right helmet.
>
>I'm getting less picky.
>
>I'd like one with a SAFE COLOR: a nice orange, yellow or red, say.
>
>And the colored part should EXTEND TO THE LOWER REAR of the
>helmet---so cars coming from behind see it nicely even when I'm, well,
>in the riding position.
>
>Then I'd also like the helmet to be LIGHTWEIGHT.
>
>I hefted a few in the shop the other day. They seem HEAVY! Lots more
>so than the old foam one I'm trying to replace anyway.
>
>(I did find a nice orange one that might've worked, don't know if it
>was light, or the brand, for $170. Uh...)
>
>THANKS!
>
>--JP

Dear JP,

In the interest of visibility from behind, this classic
helmet . . . well, see for yourself:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/viking_horns_helmet_hat.html

Any hardware store can supply a can of yellow spray paint.

Carl Fogel

> Jeff Potter wrote:

>> I'm still looking for the right helmet.

>> I'd like one with a SAFE COLOR: a nice orange, yellow or red, say.

>> And the colored part should EXTEND TO THE LOWER REAR of the
>> helmet---so cars coming from behind see it nicely even when I'm,
>> well, in the riding position.

>> Then I'd also like the helmet to be LIGHTWEIGHT.

>> I hefted a few in the shop the other day. They seem HEAVY! Lots more
>> so than the old foam one I'm trying to replace anyway.

Well, you're not going to beat an old Giro Prolight, but anything under 10
ounces is probably reasonable.

>> (I did find a nice orange one that might've worked, don't know if it
>> was light, or the brand, for $170. Uh...)

What price, fashion? :)

I wrote:

> What you describe is indeed hard to find. Performance is having a
> helmet sale, with all kinds, colors, weights, and prices. I'd get a
> cheaper one, and plaster it with reflective tape, and/or paint it.
> You can get paint for styrofoam model airplanes in hobby stores.
> (Regular spray paint eats styrofoam.)

Jeff, I think I found what you're looking for. Louis Garneau has some helmets
like you described. Check out their website:

www.louisgarneau.com

The Oz-zy seems closest to what you're looking for, with the light color down
low in the back.

BTW, I've seen a bunch of LG helmets on eBay lately. (I was looking for their
clothes, which fit me well and aren't horribly expensive.)

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[ ]
> Well, you're not going to beat an old Giro Prolight, but anything under 10
> ounces is probably reasonable.

The Giro Havoc comes in a very nice yet bright green.

[ ]
> Jeff, I think I found what you're looking for. Louis Garneau has some helmets
> like you described. Check out their website:
>
> www.louisgarneau.com
>
> The Oz-zy seems closest to what you're looking for, with the light color down
> low in the back.

VERY GOOD! Thanks to someone's tip I found the Limar F111 at Perf for
way cheap and got a very lovely orange one. The color is bright but
not garish. Very nice! I wonder what the LG's cost... Looks like
retail $150, ebay $60.

--JP

On 18 Nov 2004 10:04:06 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Potter) wrote:

>"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>[ ]
>> Well, you're not going to beat an old Giro Prolight, but anything under 10
>> ounces is probably reasonable.

>The Giro Havoc comes in a very nice yet bright green.
>
>[ ]
>> Jeff, I think I found what you're looking for. Louis Garneau has some helmets
>> like you described. Check out their website:
>>
>> www.louisgarneau.com
>>
>> The Oz-zy seems closest to what you're looking for, with the light color down
>> low in the back.

>VERY GOOD! Thanks to someone's tip I found the Limar F111 at Perf for
>way cheap and got a very lovely orange one. The color is bright but
>not garish. Very nice! I wonder what the LG's cost... Looks like
>retail $150, ebay $60.

Told ya. (Or was it me, or was it you, I know I suggested them lately) The
Limars don't tend to that alien artifact look that seems to be in lately. Mine's
cool and looks good.

Ron

[email protected] (Jeff Potter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [ ]
> > Well, you're not going to beat an old Giro Prolight, but anything under 10
> > ounces is probably reasonable.

> The Giro Havoc comes in a very nice yet bright green.
>
> [ ]
> > Jeff, I think I found what you're looking for. Louis Garneau has some helmets
> > like you described. Check out their website:
> >
> > www.louisgarneau.com
> >
> > The Oz-zy seems closest to what you're looking for, with the light color down
> > low in the back.

> VERY GOOD! Thanks to someone's tip I found the Limar F111 at Perf for
> way cheap and got a very lovely orange one. The color is bright but
> not garish. Very nice! I wonder what the LG's cost... Looks like
> retail $150, ebay $60.
>
> --JP

Right on. I was just about to suggest that. I just got the F107
from Perf. I wasn't looking for a light or high end helmet since I
figure that the heavy low-end ones offer more protection. But, the
F107 fit my head great and every other brand/model fit terribly.
The low end models are all one size fits all now. Gee, wonder why.

Actually mine says 707 on the sticker, F107 on the box. If you go
to the website there's no F107 or F111, just 707, 909, 911, etc.
Far as I can tell the model names are all that changed.

dkl