Road Cycling · Public discussion

Looking for cheap Giro or TDF tour

Started by Flashsteve · · Last activity · 6 posts · 911 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 December 2003
Last activity
23 December 2003
Original author
Flashsteve
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
911
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone know
    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy housing or meals. I would even camp some,
    but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip
    (18+ mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.

    Steve Scarich

  2. You could ride with me. I usually spend less than $100 per day, stay in modest hotals, catch a few
    stages, and ride 6 to 9 hours a day. IOW, half the cost if you plan your own trip. For the Giro it's
    not too difficult to find hotels to near the route to make reservations. For the Tour you have to
    look hard.

    -Bruce

    "FlashSteve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20031219193502.14191.00001446@mb-
    m28.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:

    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy


    housing

    Quoted message said:

    or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.

    Steve Scarich

  3. nonstopciclismo.com = caters to racers and very fit individuals.

    "FlashSteve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20031219193502.14191.00001446@mb-
    m28.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:

    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy


    housing

    Quoted message said:

    or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.

    Steve Scarich

  4. FlashSteve said:

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone know of an organized group
    or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy housing or meals. I would even camp some,
    but not every night. (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a
    pretty good clip (18+ mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his 6th.

    Steve Scarich

    Try Graham Baxter www.sportingtours.co.uk

    Jan

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.553 / Virus Database: 345 - Release Date: 18/12/03

  5. "FlashSteve" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does


    anyone know

    Quoted message said:

    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    thinking less than $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need


    fancy housing

    Quoted message said:

    or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day


    at a

    Quoted message said:

    pretty good clip (18+ mph).

    The Giro is my first choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Lance win his


    6th.

    Quoted message said:


    Steve Scarich

    ecycletours.comtour staff.htm ecycletours.com04
    petite_french_alps.htm Erickson Cycle tours out of Seattle might work for you. I'm pretty sure you
    know Glenn and Dan Norton and others having raced up here in Seattle. The French Alps tour runs at
    $2900 for 15 days.

    Phil Holman

  6. Quoted message said:

    I would like to watch either the Giro or the TDF in person. Does anyone


    know

    Quoted message said:

    of an organized group or tour that:
    (1) Is relatively inexpensive. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm thinking less than
    $200/day, exclusive of air fare. I don't need fancy


    housing

    Quoted message said:

    or meals. I would even camp some, but not every night.
    (2) Caters to 'fit' riders. I would like to ride 2-4 hours every day at a pretty good clip (18+
    mph).

    Steve: We've got a fairly extensive listing of various companies doing TDF tours for '04. You can
    find it at

    www.ChainReaction.com/france04tdftourcompanies.htm

    I have personal experience with both TREK and Graham Baxter. TREK covers the higher-end, with a bit
    less emphasis on hard, long-distance riding, but great accomodations and food. Graham Baxter is
    going to be more within your budget and, since they don't provide support while riding, people
    organize into groups according to their own sado-masochistic preferences, and it's very easy to get
    in some high-quality miles.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.