UK and Europe · Public discussion

Looking for clip-on saddle-pack with LED light loop

Started by David M · · Last activity · 14 posts · 607 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 March 2006
Last activity
15 March 2006
Original author
David M
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
607
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a loop
    for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the local
    bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have what I need.

    Sure, there's plenty of primitive saddle-packs which tie onto the saddle,
    but that's a real hassle and clip-on ones (with a mounting clip on the
    saddle) are much more convenient.

    And there are a few with a loop for the light, but by no means all.
    (I *really* can't believe that's not a standard feature, it must be a
    pretty dumb saddle-pack designer who didn't notice that, by their very
    nature, saddle-packs fit precisely behind seatpost-mounted lights,
    blocking their output.. Or do kewl Kalifornian single-trackers only
    ride in daylight? <sigh>😉

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    I've seen a couple of super-mini packs for elite racing types, with both
    clips and loops (hurrah), but these are barely big enough for an MTB
    inner-tube, so I need something a little bigger (probably about 2 l
    capacity for all the tools and junk I like to carry around ;-).

    I know such a pack exists, because I have one, from many years back, but
    unfortunately the clip-mount disintegrated when I tried to transfer it
    from old bike to new bike.. :-(

    Has anybody seen such a saddle-pack in their local bikeshop, or
    alternatively, can anybody recommend an online bikeshop that sells what
    I'm looking for?

    Thanks,

    David.

    --
    David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland.--[en, fr, (de)]--[reply-to valid <365d]

    Quoted message said:

    Please trim quotes & interleave reply for readability, don't be lazy <
    Please feel free to help me by correcting my foreign language errors <

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>> 13 days to go. <http://www.clearingtheairscotland.org/> <<<<<<<

  2. David M said:

    I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a
    loop for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the
    local bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have
    what I need.

    Sure, there's plenty of primitive saddle-packs which tie onto the
    saddle, but that's a real hassle and clip-on ones (with a mounting
    clip on the saddle) are much more convenient.

    And there are a few with a loop for the light, but by no means all.
    (I *really* can't believe that's not a standard feature, it must be
    a pretty dumb saddle-pack designer who didn't notice that, by their
    very nature, saddle-packs fit precisely behind seatpost-mounted
    lights, blocking their output.. Or do kewl Kalifornian
    single-trackers only ride in daylight? <sigh>😉

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    Why do you want your light to be on your pack? Wouldn't having a
    clip-on pack under your seat and a light further down your seatpost
    (as I have) allow you to have a much wider choice of both?

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  3. I use a "Topeak Expando Wedge Large". Despite its silly name,
    it is large enough to take a spare tube and plenty of tools even in its
    unexpanded
    state. It clips on and off easily, seems well made, and has a lighting
    loop to take a flasher. and
    a handle thingy for carrying off the bike.

    I got mine from wiggle - in the same range there are various different
    sizes it seems. I've had a
    similar problem to you - my back light was blocked by the bag, and if
    the bag is ever taken off I
    am backlightless. A nice solution would be a little fitting that would
    let me mount a light on the back
    of a pannier rack. but the rack tubing is too narrow
    fot the standar fittings. A few minutes work with a small block of Al
    stock would probably suffice - two
    segments that clamp over the back of the rack tubing an provide a mount,
    but I've never got aound to it...

    Ben

    David M said:

    I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a loop
    for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the local
    bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have what I need.

    Sure, there's plenty of primitive saddle-packs which tie onto the saddle,
    but that's a real hassle and clip-on ones (with a mounting clip on the
    saddle) are much more convenient.

    And there are a few with a loop for the light, but by no means all.
    (I *really* can't believe that's not a standard feature, it must be a
    pretty dumb saddle-pack designer who didn't notice that, by their very
    nature, saddle-packs fit precisely behind seatpost-mounted lights,
    blocking their output.. Or do kewl Kalifornian single-trackers only
    ride in daylight? <sigh>😉

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    I've seen a couple of super-mini packs for elite racing types, with both
    clips and loops (hurrah), but these are barely big enough for an MTB
    inner-tube, so I need something a little bigger (probably about 2 l
    capacity for all the tools and junk I like to carry around ;-).

    I know such a pack exists, because I have one, from many years back, but
    unfortunately the clip-mount disintegrated when I tried to transfer it
    from old bike to new bike.. :-(

    Has anybody seen such a saddle-pack in their local bikeshop, or
    alternatively, can anybody recommend an online bikeshop that sells what
    I'm looking for?

    Thanks,

    David.

  4. David M said:


    Has anybody seen such a saddle-pack in their local bikeshop, or
    alternatively, can anybody recommend an online bikeshop that sells what
    I'm looking for?

    A quick Google gives http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

    I can't comment on them though, but they might fit your need.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun!
    (Done ...)

  5. Chris Eilbeck said:

    Why do you want your light to be on your pack? Wouldn't having a
    clip-on pack under your seat and a light further down your seatpost
    (as I have) allow you to have a much wider choice of both?

    There's no room under a bag if either the saddle is low or the bag is
    large.

    A loop could be stapled or sewn on to any bag. I don't like them,
    though -- hard to keep the light secure and pointing in the right
    direction.

    ~PB

  6. David M said:

    I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a loop
    for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the local
    bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have what I need.

    Sure, there's plenty of primitive saddle-packs which tie onto the saddle,
    but that's a real hassle and clip-on ones (with a mounting clip on the
    saddle) are much more convenient.

    And there are a few with a loop for the light, but by no means all.
    (I *really* can't believe that's not a standard feature, it must be a
    pretty dumb saddle-pack designer who didn't notice that, by their very
    nature, saddle-packs fit precisely behind seatpost-mounted lights,
    blocking their output.. Or do kewl Kalifornian single-trackers only
    ride in daylight? <sigh>😉

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    I've seen a couple of super-mini packs for elite racing types, with both
    clips and loops (hurrah), but these are barely big enough for an MTB
    inner-tube, so I need something a little bigger (probably about 2 l
    capacity for all the tools and junk I like to carry around ;-).

    I know such a pack exists, because I have one, from many years back, but
    unfortunately the clip-mount disintegrated when I tried to transfer it
    from old bike to new bike.. :-(

    Has anybody seen such a saddle-pack in their local bikeshop, or
    alternatively, can anybody recommend an online bikeshop that sells what
    I'm looking for?

    Thanks,

    David.


    Did you try Halfords at Hermiston Gate? They have some of the Topeak
    range and I'm sure one of them has the clip on/off style.

    druidh

  7. "druidh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    David M said:

    I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a loop
    for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the local
    bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have what I


    need.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Sure, there's plenty of primitive saddle-packs which tie onto the


    saddle,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but that's a real hassle and clip-on ones (with a mounting clip on the
    saddle) are much more convenient.

    And there are a few with a loop for the light, but by no means all.
    (I *really* can't believe that's not a standard feature, it must be a
    pretty dumb saddle-pack designer who didn't notice that, by their very
    nature, saddle-packs fit precisely behind seatpost-mounted lights,
    blocking their output.. Or do kewl Kalifornian single-trackers only
    ride in daylight? <sigh>😉

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    I've seen a couple of super-mini packs for elite racing types, with both
    clips and loops (hurrah), but these are barely big enough for an MTB
    inner-tube, so I need something a little bigger (probably about 2 l
    capacity for all the tools and junk I like to carry around ;-).

    I know such a pack exists, because I have one, from many years back, but
    unfortunately the clip-mount disintegrated when I tried to transfer it
    from old bike to new bike.. :-(

    Has anybody seen such a saddle-pack in their local bikeshop, or
    alternatively, can anybody recommend an online bikeshop that sells what
    I'm looking for?

    Thanks,

    David.


    Did you try Halfords at Hermiston Gate? They have some of the Topeak
    range and I'm sure one of them has the clip on/off style.

    druidh

    How about the following.

    http://tinyurl.com/hmug3

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx
    &W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&am
    p;CategoryName=Bags%20-%20Saddle&ProdID=5220000125&U
    berCat=0

    cheers
    Jon_H

  8. David M said:

    But trying to find a combination of both, no luck.. :-(

    So get the clip-on which otherwise meets your needs, get a sew-on
    accessory patch (or just a wee bit of nylon tape) and a bit of
    needlework will solve your problem. No talent required for this sort of
    thing: unless it has to be fantastically neat as well as functional,
    even I can do it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. in message <[email hidden]>, David M

    (') said:

    I'm looking for a decent-sized clip-on saddle-pack which includes a
    loop for a LED rear light to fit into, but I've tried all of the local
    bikeshops (here in Edinburgh), and none of them seem to have what I
    need.

    My Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op own-brand saddle pack meets your description
    exactly. KlickFix mount, decent size, LED loop. Sorted.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
    ; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
    ; acquyntit with your Southeron
    ;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

  10. Pete Biggs said:
    Chris Eilbeck said:

    Why do you want your light to be on your pack? Wouldn't having a
    clip-on pack under your seat and a light further down your seatpost
    (as I have) allow you to have a much wider choice of both?

    There's no room under a bag if either the saddle is low or the bag is
    large.

    A loop could be stapled or sewn on to any bag. I don't like them,
    though -- hard to keep the light secure and pointing in the right
    direction.

    Sage advice.. My legs being of the 'not very long' size, I find that I
    cannot have both a saddle bag and a rear light on the seatpost. I even
    have to use a bag support to keep the saddlebag off the rear tyre.

    Find the bag that has the size/shape that you want then add the other
    clips and straps to it. Works a treat. Why trust the manufacturer to
    know how you want to live your life?

    ...d

  11. Ben Barker said:

    I use a "Topeak Expando Wedge Large".

    I've got the medium-sized version and I'm vrey pleased with it. I got
    the one with buckle straps rather than the quick-release clip mechanism
    because I find the fittings for the QR clip type too narrow for my
    Brooks saddle. However, the buckle straps also use QR clips so it's not
    exactly an ordeal to fit/remove.

    Quoted message said:

    large enough to take a spare tube and plenty of tools even in its
    unexpanded
    state.

    I can fit two spare tubes, a set of allen keys (2.5-6mm), 8mm and 10mm
    spanners, tyre levers and my mobile phone in mine. Even the mini
    version, which my brother has, can easily fit a spare tube and tyre
    levers in its unexpanded state.

    Quoted message said:

    A nice solution would be a little fitting that would
    let me mount a light on the back
    of a pannier rack. but the rack tubing is too narrow
    fot the standar fittings. A few minutes work with a small block of Al
    stock would probably suffice - two
    segments that clamp over the back of the rack tubing an provide a mount,
    but I've never got aound to it...

    Being a lazy sod, I got around that by choosing a TorTec rack with
    built-in lighting plate, and now I have a pair of Cateye AU100s
    permantently fixed to the very back of my bike where nothing can get in
    their way. Only problem is when I take the rack off for the purposes of
    weight reduction when doing hilly rides and then end up needing to ride
    home in the dark...

    I don't find having a light attached to the saddle pouch a satisfactory
    solution, for reasons others have mentioned, but I dare say it's better
    than no light at all.

    d.

  12. Pete Biggs said:
    Chris Eilbeck said:

    Why do you want your light to be on your pack? Wouldn't having a
    clip-on pack under your seat and a light further down your seatpost
    (as I have) allow you to have a much wider choice of both?

    There's no room under a bag if either the saddle is low or the bag
    is large.

    I guess.

    Quoted message said:

    A loop could be stapled or sewn on to any bag. I don't like them,
    though -- hard to keep the light secure and pointing in the right
    direction.

    Quite a few of them seem to be nylon or some similar fabric with a
    card or plastic strengthener internally. It should be quite
    straightforward to drill/puncture and cable-tie a winker onto a pack.
    Just clipping it on doesn't seem too secure to me, not with my Smart 7
    LED. I ended up drilling the clip and cable-tieing it onto my
    backpack.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  13. druidh said:

    Did you try Halfords at Hermiston Gate? They have some of the Topeak
    range and I'm sure one of them has the clip on/off style.

    I bought a Dirt Monkey one from H******s and that seems to be quite
    decently made and clips on and off easily but also has a velcro strap
    to make sure it stays put.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Ben

    Barker) said:

    similar problem to you - my back light was blocked by the bag, and if
    the bag is ever taken off I am backlightless.

    I clip my rear light to the saddlebag (when fitted) and when I remove the
    saddlebag I clip the light to the seatpost fitting.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.