Looking for half-decent hardtail under au$900 - Norco Charger okay?

uDi

Sep 7, 2003
Okay right now i've got a cheap dual suspension bike, and I have been thinking whether I should keep the bike (its fine, not phenomenal, but fine) and get a BMX so I can have fun on either.... or sell the dual sus and get a good hardtail with a decent front fork. I'm 15, so it's a bit of a tossup - a bmx appeals to me a lot, but after I saw well-spec'd hardtails for a little more money, I'm not sure what I want.

If I don't get a good mtb now, I will certainly get one later in life... but if I don't get a bmx, I don't think it will ever happen... Any ideas guys? what would you do?

Anyway after looking over a few, I came to the Norco Charger - it seemed to be the best spec'd for my budget. 7005 ally, deore components (most other bikes in the same pricerange had acera/alivio, which is cheaper stuff right?) a seemingy nice marzocchi 100mm travel fork and mechanical discs. Is there a catch to how they can have a nice fork on there for that price? :confused: I am kind of new to this, so maybe i'm just getting fooled out by the fancy gear on the bike...

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2003bikes/charger.htm

$899au is the cheapest price i've found on that.

What do you guys think of the bike? I'm basically just riding around on streets, and occasionally having some fun offroad.

Are there any better bikes for around that pricerange? I really can't go over 1000au.

And i've heard oil damped (hydraulic?) forks are the best, is that fork on the charger like that? I'm thinking it is.

And are mechanical discs okay? I've been on v-brakes all my life... i've heard hydraulic discs are nice, but I can't afford that much.

OR should I just stick to my original (cheaper) idea of keeping my lower-end mtb, and getting a bmx.

Thanks for any input, any help is appreciated.
-uDi

Arggh a quick search told me the EXR COMP was a piece of garbage fork, and not oil damped - some elastomer junk. What do you guys think of it?

My friend is more serious than I about buying this bike so I do want to let him know that its **** if it is.... I always thought MZ made good forks... guess every manufacturer makes piece of **** lines too.

Once again thanks for any input.