Looking for homemade massage oil recipes

pastorbillv

Nov 17, 2005
Maybe I didn't search right, but I didn't find anything in the forums for homemade massage oil recipes. Back when I used to race someone gave me a recipe for massaging my legs that contained rubbing alcohol, olive oil, oil of wintergreen and one other ingredient I can't remember. Nor can I remember the relative amounts.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their homemade recipes (especially if they contain some or all of those ingredients!). I'm just looking to massage my legs after training.

Thanks!
Bill

pastorbillv said:
Maybe I didn't search right, but I didn't find anything in the forums for homemade massage oil recipes. Back when I used to race someone gave me a recipe for massaging my legs that contained rubbing alcohol, olive oil, oil of wintergreen and one other ingredient I can't remember. Nor can I remember the relative amounts.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their homemade recipes (especially if they contain some or all of those ingredients!). I'm just looking to massage my legs after training.

Thanks!
Bill
Stuff making it.. just get your hands on some elmore oil.. :D
http://www.elmoreoil.com.au/index.html

Yeah Stuff making it........Try OA Performance products, for heat balms, warm up oils, chamois cream and other natural massage products for cyclist.
www.unconmed.com

I think I've used olive oil. One of the best ones would also be coconut oil since it is anti-inflammatory and detoxes the skin. I would mix safflower and coconut oil. The safflower is really good for you and will keep the skin oiled up. The coconut oil will tend to get absorbed more quickly.

I bought a rubbing oil when we went on vacation in Batanes, that's the northernmost part of our country. It turned out that the oil is so good for the muscles because I could feel the heat penetrating my flesh and the heat stays for a time. I would apply it before bedtime and I get a relaxed feeling in the morning. Unfortunately, I have searched high and low but didn't find a relative of that oil bottle here in Metro Manila. It looks like it's only available in that province.

JSWin said:
I think I've used olive oil. One of the best ones would also be coconut oil since it is anti-inflammatory and detoxes the skin. I would mix safflower and coconut oil. The safflower is really good for you and will keep the skin oiled up. The coconut oil will tend to get absorbed more quickly.
I am using coconut oil because as you have said it is being absorbed quickly and it does not leave any oily feel. Do you recommend putting an essential oil just to make it fragrant ?

Mmm, never tried those. I've been to osteopaths a number of times and they help me fix whatever problems I have. For relaxation I prefer other methods.

I would recommend two parts coconut oil with one part of lemon juice in it. I know, it sounds wierd, but it works very well.
I also like to add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil to hot bath water. It's traditionally intended for your sinuses, but I feel like it relieves muscle ache as well.

For the muscles ache or body pain, you are already having massage. My aunt had a massage with just a simple coconut oil because cocout oil is very effective and gives relax to body, bones, muscles and skin too. You can have more information about massage here.

Calendula, chamomile, lemonbalm, and mint all have anti-inflammatory properties and are great for soothing and relaxing muscle spasms and pain. Coconut and sweet almond oil both make great bases, and they smell really good too :)

I use coconut oil and olive oil too but I would also recommend the oil of oregano. Tons of research behind it's beneficial effect and anti inflammatory properties, and even cures athlete's foot and other infections! It's hard to find a good product tho... I love coconut oil because I use it too for a number of different things like skin moisturizer and oil pulling as well as an awesome ingredient for my smoothies.

Here are some oils for muscle spasm:

1. Sweet Marjoram - it has sedative properties. It heals muscle spasms, pain, stiffness and rheumatism.
2. Chamomile - it has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Lavender - most famous oil for pain relief and relaxation.
4. Eucalyptus - an analgesic and anti-inflammatory oil.
5. Rosemary - for analgesic and anti-inflammatory too. Good for muscle joint pains.
6. Ginger - good for treating muscle sprains.
7. Wintergreen - same properties as salicylate which is good for muscle pains.
8. Juniper - anti-spasm oil!

I hope this helps!