Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

loose adjustment screw on front derailer

Started by B.B. · · Last activity · 6 posts · 611 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 June 2004
Last activity
21 June 2004
Original author
B.B.
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
611
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The "low" screw on my front derailer won't stay put, so as I ride
    around it'll vibrate halfway out and the chain tends to fall off when I
    downshift.
    It's an old suntour derailer, metal screws into metal link, no
    plastic bits to hold 'em still. Both screws shake around freely, but
    only the low one tends to move around.
    Is there a quick fix to make the screw stay put? I was thinking a
    little blob of gasket-in-a-tube by the base of the screw might hold it
    in adjustment. No room for a jam nut.

    --
    B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
    Fire the stupid--Vote.

  2. Put a piece of nylon fishing line in before inserting the screw.

  3. B.B. said:

    The "low" screw on my front derailer won't stay put, so as I ride
    around it'll vibrate halfway out and the chain tends to fall off when I
    downshift.
    It's an old suntour derailer, metal screws into metal link, no
    plastic bits to hold 'em still. Both screws shake around freely, but
    only the low one tends to move around.
    Is there a quick fix to make the screw stay put? I was thinking a
    little blob of gasket-in-a-tube by the base of the screw might hold it
    in adjustment. No room for a jam nut.

    "Blue Loctite" is designed to keep fasteners from vibrating loose while not
    locking them permanantly. If Loctite is not available in your part of the
    world, maybe a similar substance is.

    Art Harris

  4. "Arthur Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "B.B." wrote:

    .. The "low" screw on my front derailer won't stay put, ...>

    Go to your "friendly" local bike shop and ask for a spring for those
    screws. If you are nice and/or lucky, you may get them for free.

  5. Hi, I think many Derailleur screws will exhibit this. I noticed this
    even on new Campy Derailleurs (Veloce), where the screws seem awful
    loose. Not as precise, and tight as they could be.

    I've used an ultra heavy grade of Damping Grease on screw threads with
    good results, But perhaps the application of a Med Strength
    Threadlocker on each screw will suffice just as well. I would remove
    the offending screws, degrease both screws, and bores, coat with
    threadlocker, let sit overnight, then re-install the screws in thier
    respective bores. Hope this helps. Mark

  6. Yes, I had the same problem with a record FD.
    I used blue locktight to solve the problem.

    Gary Jacobson
    Rosendale, NY

    "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I think many Derailleur screws will exhibit this. I noticed this
    even on new Campy Derailleurs (Veloce), where the screws seem awful
    loose. Not as precise, and tight as they could be.

    I've used an ultra heavy grade of Damping Grease on screw threads with
    good results, But perhaps the application of a Med Strength
    Threadlocker on each screw will suffice just as well. I would remove
    the offending screws, degrease both screws, and bores, coat with
    threadlocker, let sit overnight, then re-install the screws in thier
    respective bores. Hope this helps. Mark

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.