UK and Europe · Public discussion

Loose bearings in integrated headsets

Started by Mark · · Last activity · 6 posts · 739 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 June 2007
Last activity
18 June 2007
Original author
Mark
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
739
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    Removing the play from the integrated headset on my Focus Cayo is
    proving difficult because the sealed bearings are quite loose in the
    head tube. Is this normal? Both top and bottom are visibly loose
    (though not by much) but as I've never had a bike with an integrated
    headset I've no idea if this is to be expected.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  2. in message <[email hidden]>, Mark

    (') said:

    Hi

    Removing the play from the integrated headset on my Focus Cayo is
    proving difficult because the sealed bearings are quite loose in the
    head tube. Is this normal? Both top and bottom are visibly loose
    (though not by much) but as I've never had a bike with an integrated
    headset I've no idea if this is to be expected.

    There is no standard for 'integrated' headsets; each headset-makers variant
    is different. Nevertheless, the recess in the frame and the outer shell of
    each bearing is normally conical; pressure on the headset maintained by
    the clamping of the stem should keep the bearings tight in the conical
    recesses.

    Try: loosen your stem clamp bolts, and tighten down the top cap bolt. Does
    this reduce play? If so, tighten the stem clamp bolts, sorted.

    If not, you need a new frame.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Drivers in the UK kill more people every single year than
    ;; Al Qaeda have ever killed worldwide in any single year.

  3. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Mark

    Quoted message said:

    Removing the play from the integrated headset on my Focus Cayo is
    proving difficult because the sealed bearings are quite loose in the
    head tube. Is this normal? Both top and bottom are visibly loose
    (though not by much) but as I've never had a bike with an integrated
    headset I've no idea if this is to be expected.

    There is no standard for 'integrated' headsets; each headset-makers variant
    is different. Nevertheless, the recess in the frame and the outer shell of
    each bearing is normally conical; pressure on the headset maintained by
    the clamping of the stem should keep the bearings tight in the conical
    recesses.

    Try: loosen your stem clamp bolts, and tighten down the top cap bolt. Does
    this reduce play? If so, tighten the stem clamp bolts, sorted.

    It does but it needs to be quite tight. With 'normal' aheadsets I find
    I only need to nip the cap up enough to take up slack; this one
    requires quite a lot of additional nipping to hold the bearings in the
    right place. Perhaps that's normal.

    Quoted message said:

    If not, you need a new frame.

    I hope not; it's 6 weeks old.

    Mark

  4. Take a look at http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_1.html
    for how they work (and why they may not be such a good idea).

  5. squeaker said:

    Take a look athttp://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_...
    for how they work (and why they may not be such a good idea).

    Okay, thanks. That explains what I'm seeing. And yes, they do seem to
    be a bit of a [censored] idea 🙁

    Mark

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, Mark

    (') said:
    squeaker said:

    Take a look


    athttp://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for how they work (and why they may not be such a good idea).

    Okay, thanks. That explains what I'm seeing. And yes, they do seem to
    be a bit of a [censored] idea 🙁

    I'm not defending them, because I don't know enough about the
    technicalities of headsets to argue the toss. But mine, which is a Cane
    Creek IS2, works fine - for me, anyway.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
    bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.