Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

loose lips, sink ships.......

Started by Callistus Valerius · · Last activity · 11 posts · 253 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 June 2007
Last activity
4 July 2007
Original author
Callistus Valerius
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
253
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bicycle retail folk probably offer more free advice than any business I
    can think of, except maybe the kayak business. But I've noticed there is
    always one question where their lips are sealed. So I'll ask it here, when
    do the new 2008 bikes get revealed? Now I know they want to unload their
    2007's, and even 2006 bikes before they start talking about 2008, but for a
    customer like me, I just won't buy a bike that is painted an ugly color.
    Now I might buy it at a discounted rate, but I would rather buy at full
    price for color that is acceptable to me. Even though I know quite a bit
    about bikes, color is a huge motivator on whether I pull out the plastic or
    not. C'mon, when do the 2008's show themselves (on-line).

  2. Quoted message said:

    Bicycle retail folk probably offer more free advice than any business I
    can think of, except maybe the kayak business. But I've noticed there is
    always one question where their lips are sealed. So I'll ask it here,
    when
    do the new 2008 bikes get revealed? Now I know they want to unload their
    2007's, and even 2006 bikes before they start talking about 2008, but for
    a
    customer like me, I just won't buy a bike that is painted an ugly color.
    Now I might buy it at a discounted rate, but I would rather buy at full
    price for color that is acceptable to me. Even though I know quite a bit
    about bikes, color is a huge motivator on whether I pull out the plastic
    or
    not. C'mon, when do the 2008's show themselves (on-line).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htm for the new bikes, and, as
    for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just say
    I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger than you
    can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal than $1999 for
    an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

  3. http://www.google.com/search?q=2008+SPECIALIZED&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=302101

    SEARCH GOOGLE: 2008 TORPEDO DELUXE

  4. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htm for the new bikes, and, as
    for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just say
    I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger than you
    can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal than $1999 for
    an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

    Is the Madone's integrated headset any different from the others out on
    the market? Chris King's article on them makes me highly skeptical.
    Your take?

    \\paul

  5. Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htm for the new bikes, and,
    as for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just
    say I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger
    than you can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal
    than $1999 for an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

    Is the Madone's integrated headset any different from the others out on
    the market? Chris King's article on them makes me highly skeptical. Your
    take?

    \\paul

    That particular article scared us all when it came out. Fortunately, the
    reality has been quite different. Drop-in bearings, done correctly, are here
    to stay.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  6. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htmfor the new bikes, and,
    as for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just
    say I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger
    than you can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal
    than $1999 for an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

    Quoted message said:

    Is the Madone's integrated headset any different from the others out on
    the market? Chris King's article on them makes me highly skeptical. Your
    take?

    Quoted message said:

    \\paul

    That particular article scared us all when it came out. Fortunately, the
    reality has been quite different. Drop-in bearings, done correctly, are here
    to stay.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Then what's up with Litespeed? First they didn't, then they did, now
    they do no more.

    Chris

  7. Callistus Valerius said:

    Bicycle retail folk probably offer more free advice than any business I
    can think of, except maybe the kayak business.

    The time any retailer will spend advising you depends on how busy they
    are, how much you've spent there in the past, how much you're
    thinking of spending now and how much they need your business.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw


  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htm for the new bikes, and,
    as for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just
    say I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger
    than you can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal
    than $1999 for an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

    Quoted message said:

    Paul H:

    Quoted message said:

    Is the Madone's integrated headset any different from the others out on
    the market? Chris King's article on them makes me highly skeptical. Your
    take?

    \\paul

    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    That particular article scared us all when it came out. Fortunately, the
    reality has been quite different. Drop-in bearings, done correctly, are here
    to stay.

    Oh. Hmm. Interesting. Well, I guess it doesn't matter much since I
    won't be buying anything nicer than a Soma Smoothie ES and building it
    up on 105 stuff any time soon. Thanks for the info, though.
    \\paul

  9. Callistus Valerius said:

    Bicycle retail folk probably offer more free advice than any business I
    can think of, except maybe the kayak business. But I've noticed there is
    always one question where their lips are sealed. So I'll ask it here, when
    do the new 2008 bikes get revealed? Now I know they want to unload their
    2007's, and even 2006 bikes before they start talking about 2008, but for a
    customer like me, I just won't buy a bike that is painted an ugly color.
    Now I might buy it at a discounted rate, but I would rather buy at full
    price for color that is acceptable to me. Even though I know quite a bit
    about bikes, color is a huge motivator on whether I pull out the plastic or
    not. C'mon, when do the 2008's show themselves (on-line).


    Between right now and April of 2008.

    Each brand develops a model-variegated strategy based on equipment and
    factory time availability, marketing schedule, carryover inventory and
    dealer pre-book rates.
    No short answer to that.

    Last year, for example, a brand we sell had 'early intro' sub-$500
    models in June but a pre-sold 'team' model wasn't built until January
    delivered in February.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Between right now and April of 2008.

    Each brand develops a model-variegated strategy based on equipment and
    factory time availability, marketing schedule, carryover inventory and
    dealer pre-book rates.
    No short answer to that.

    Last year, for example, a brand we sell had 'early intro' sub-$500
    models in June but a pre-sold 'team' model wasn't built until January
    delivered in February.
    --
    Andrew Muzi


    -------------
    so maybe that's why everyone is so tight-lipped.......they just didn't know.
    When they showed the 2008 Madone, it got me going....and then nothing else.

  11. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    http://www.chainreaction.com/madone_08_review.htmfor the new bikes, and,
    as for what that single bike has done to existing inventory... let's just
    say I've lost a rather huge chunk of change on '07 road bikes. Bigger
    than you can imagine. It's going to be difficult finding a better deal
    than $1999 for an '07 Madone 5.2SL (legit price was $3049.99).

    Quoted message said:

    Is the Madone's integrated headset any different from the others out on
    the market? Chris King's article on them makes me highly skeptical. Your
    take?

    Quoted message said:

    \\paul

    That particular article scared us all when it came out. Fortunately, the
    reality has been quite different. Drop-in bearings, done correctly, are here
    to stay.

    Looking around your website I'm almost glad to see that Trek does
    _not_ allow authorized dealers to do mail order cause I might
    otherwise be very very sorely tempted by the prices on some of those
    older Madones on your site.

    I flat out REFUSE to buy Trek in China. For some reason Trek China
    has decided to charge more for the same products than Trek USA does.
    It isn't a whole lot more but it is consistently about the same amount
    more (last I checked it was approximately 500rmb) than the US MSRP
    whether it was made in the US, made in Taiwan, or made in China and it
    irritates me no end.

    Currently the dream bike (which will be happening sometime in the next
    few months) is going to be a custom Habanero frame, something very
    nice in wheels (maybe two sets?), one of them flat topped uber
    ergonomic carbon handlebars, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, a specific
    Selle Italia saddle I quite like, duck shoe pedals probably by Look
    most likely matched with Sidi shoes (and my current pedal/shoe combo
    going to wonderboy as a hand-me-down gift) crankset to be determined
    (maybe FSA compact, maybe Ultegra), the 105 brifters and ultegra
    cassette off of my current race bike, derailleurs and brakes still to
    be determined.

    -M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.