Loose part in 105 brake lever

Roy Sinnamond

Guest
So, I'm going down a hill the other day and apply a little front brake
going into a turn. I release the brake and get up from the saddle to
accelerate. Unfortunately, the brake is still engaged!

The lever was still "squeezed"(squozen?). A plastic part was wedged in the
mechanism.

In the following exploded diagram-

<http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/ST/EV-ST-5510_v2_m56577569830557305.pdf>

<http://tinyurl.com/c8ssg>

The part in question is number 7 "L.H. Rear cover".

I tried putting the part back in place but it seems prone to come loose
again. I really don't want involuntary front brake application so I left
it out. The braking and shifting works fine without it.

My question is should I care about this part?

What is it doing there anyway?

--
Roy Sinnamond
roysinnamond at mac dot com

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:36:35 -0500, Roy Sinnamond wrote:

> So, I'm going down a hill the other day and apply a little front brake
> going into a turn. I release the brake and get up from the saddle to
> accelerate. Unfortunately, the brake is still engaged!
>
> The lever was still "squeezed"(squozen?). A plastic part was wedged in the
> mechanism.
>
> In the following exploded diagram-
>
> <http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/ST/EV-ST-5510_v2_m56577569830557305.pdf>
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/c8ssg>
>
> The part in question is number 7 "L.H. Rear cover".
>
> I tried putting the part back in place but it seems prone to come loose
> again. I really don't want involuntary front brake application so I left
> it out. The braking and shifting works fine without it.
>
> My question is should I care about this part?
>
> What is it doing there anyway?

Anyone?

--
Roy Sinnamond