Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Loosening Seatpost in Frame

Started by Steve Sr. · · Last activity · 7 posts · 348 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 May 2006
Last activity
22 May 2006
Original author
Steve Sr.
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
348
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I need to lower the seatpost of my bike everytime I put it in my
    vehicle so it will fit upright in the carrier.

    Even with the seat clamp loose the post is pretty tight in the frame
    and requires a lot of wiggling to get it either up or down. Is there
    any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit? Is there a special tool made for doing this?

    The frame is a Litespeed and is made out of titanium. It also looks
    like there is some kind of insert sleeve between the frame and
    seatpost. I can see what looks like the junction of 2 different metals
    if I pull the clamp off

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. Quoted message said:

    Is there any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit? Is there a special tool made for doing this?

    Perhaps more sensible to make the seatpost a bit smaller in diameter
    than to enlarge the seat tube?

    We await the follow-up question: "How do I keep the seatpost from
    slipping".

    Mark

  3. Steve Sr. said:

    Hello,

    I need to lower the seatpost of my bike everytime I put it in my
    vehicle so it will fit upright in the carrier.

    Even with the seat clamp loose the post is pretty tight in the frame
    and requires a lot of wiggling to get it either up or down. Is there
    any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit? Is there a special tool made for doing this?

    The frame is a Litespeed and is made out of titanium. It also looks
    like there is some kind of insert sleeve between the frame and
    seatpost. I can see what looks like the junction of 2 different metals
    if I pull the clamp off

    If you can sand down the inside or the outside of the "insert sleeve" aka
    shim, then you should have no problem loosening up the fit between the
    seatpost and frame. It only takes a tiny bit of material removal to get it
    to loosen up.

    Don't mess with either the frame or the seatpost. Both are far more
    expensive than the shim is, so if you bugger it up, a new shim will cost
    little.

    --
    Phil

  4. Steve Sr. wrote:

    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    Is there
    any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit?


    -snip-

    I would suggest you ask Litespeed. They seem to have an outstanding
    customer service dept.

    Maybe a different shim? No shim & larger seat post.

    Regards, John

  5. Do away with the seat and post altogether and just bike while
    standing...it's how the big boys do it.

    Randolf

  6. On Thu, 18 May 2006 21:25:48 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I need to lower the seatpost of my bike everytime I put it in my
    vehicle so it will fit upright in the carrier.

    Even with the seat clamp loose the post is pretty tight in the frame
    and requires a lot of wiggling to get it either up or down. Is there
    any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit? Is there a special tool made for doing this?

    The frame is a Litespeed and is made out of titanium. It also looks
    like there is some kind of insert sleeve between the frame and
    seatpost. I can see what looks like the junction of 2 different metals
    if I pull the clamp off

    Have you tried a bit of grease on the post?
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Mark said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is there any way that I can enlarge the opening in the frame slightly so that
    it is a looser fit? Is there a special tool made for doing this?

    Perhaps more sensible to make the seatpost a bit smaller in diameter
    than to enlarge the seat tube?

    We await the follow-up question: "How do I keep the seatpost from
    slipping".

    Mark

    Simple. Just don't loosen the clamp all the way!

    Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.