Triathlon · Public discussion

Losing weight and having productive training sessions

Started by Amie · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,050 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
9 July 2005
Last activity
19 July 2005
Original author
Amie
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,050
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
    training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
    that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
    months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
    much at all during that time as well.

    Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
    to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
    half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
    have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
    lbs a week?

    I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
    think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
    weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
    lbs.

    I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
    up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
    before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
    something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.

    Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
    mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.

    Thanks,
    Amie

  2. I frequently work at losing weight while doing heavy training. I like to go
    a little lower than my ideal race weight and in my last weeks prior to an
    important race be in the slightly gaining mode so that on race day I am spot
    on.

    Ken

    "Amie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
    training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
    that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
    months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
    much at all during that time as well.

    Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
    to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
    half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
    have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
    lbs a week?

    I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
    think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
    weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
    lbs.

    I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
    up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
    before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
    something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.

    Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
    mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.

    Thanks,
    Amie

  3. Ok, thanks that makes sense. What kind of a calorie deficit do you
    keep, and how do you find it affects your training, if at all?

    Thanks,
    Amie

  4. I never like to lose weight fast. Seems like after an IM distance event I
    will gain about 8 lbs enjoying the goodies I like but went without in
    preceding months. I like to lose it at about 1/2 lb per week but that
    sometimes really will be closer to 1 lb when I begin hitting the training
    hard. That figures to about a 500 cal per day deficit by my math. I am
    not sure what it does to my training but the overall effect is positive by
    race day.

    Actually, I seldom count the calories but just follow the same thing I teach
    about training, quit when you would like to have a little more. When it
    comes to the food, I just drink a bit more water to fill the space.

    Ken

    "Amie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, thanks that makes sense. What kind of a calorie deficit do you
    keep, and how do you find it affects your training, if at all?

    Thanks,
    Amie

  5. In your earlier post you mentioned that you were having trouble keeping up.
    If that means keeping your weight up why are you concerned about that? Do
    you know your approximate body fat? A few years back when I was competing
    weekly and in some races that were important to me my body fat dropped to a
    measured 4%. I was very lean but never felt better. My weight dropped from
    my normal race weight of 162 lbs average to 157 lbs and I turned record
    times and PR's during a two year period of racing. I have never returned to
    that weight since and my performance is a bit slower but then, I am a few
    years older.

    So, if you are not feeling weak, light headed and your racing performance is
    up to par, just eat what you are eating so long as it conforms to a healthy
    diet.

    Ken

    "Amie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
    training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
    that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
    months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
    much at all during that time as well.

    Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
    to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
    half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
    have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
    lbs a week?

    I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
    think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
    weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
    lbs.

    I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
    up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
    before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
    something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.

    Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
    mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.

    Thanks,
    Amie

  6. I'm not sure which post that was, but it's not with keeping my weight
    up. The medications I was on made me gain around 25 lbs and so I am
    above any type of normal race weight for me right now.

    I know that when I am at my lightest I get my PR's as well. So I'm
    looking to get back there as fast as I can without starving myself or
    resorting to anything like that.

    thanks! Amie

  7. I have a friend who lost 10 lbs in 3 months training for the MS150, and
    he would eat a whole large pizza after his workouts.

    In short, in your current condition there's probably almost nothing you
    could do to keep from losing weight in rather significant amounts. If
    you want to lose weight faster, cut out the chocolate cake, but eat as
    much fruit, veggies, and complex carbs as you can - this will probably
    achieve the desired desired weight loss without sacrificing
    performance. As long as you nourishing yourself adequately, you'll be
    fine.

  8. Yeah, I just don't want to slow my metabolism down by losing too much
    too fast. I wasn't eating enough to support my training, and it messed
    with my thyroid hormones, which led to my misdiagnosis. I think the
    general guideline of 1-2 lbs a week should be fine though. If I start
    losing more than that I'll just eat more.

    thanks,
    Amie

  9. The more you train, the faster your metabolism gets. The more you eat,
    the faster your metabolism gets. The less you weigh, the slower your
    metabolism gets.

    My unprofessional advice: if you want to lose weight, train more
    instead of eating less.

  10. Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
    raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
    lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
    overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
    day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

  11. What does that equate to in weekly hours?

    Ken

    "Amie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
    raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
    lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
    overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
    day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

  12. Ok, here's what I'm doing:

    This week, 9 hrs, 20 minutes of cardiovascular and 16.5 hrs total
    training (which includes the rest of the things like weight training,
    yoga, calisthenics).

    I cross train a lot right now because I'm trying to get my cardio
    foundation re-established, and in general get back in shape/lose fat,
    so that's not all running, biking, and swimming; it also includes many
    types of group exercise/spinning classes (I'm an instructor), my nordic
    track skier, etc.

    Even though I am doing a lot of cross training, I treat it as my
    regular training schedule. Another words, I don't add more than around
    11-12% as far as volume each week, and I build volume for three weeks
    and cut back one week. Next week is my recovery week and I'll cut back
    to 50% of this week including no weight training. Also, some of the
    workouts are easier, some more intense. I do two a day workouts on
    Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Sunday; Tuesday I only workout
    once and Saturday I don't workout at all or just something easy and
    short for recovery.

    I also watch for overtraning/monitor resting heart rate and hydration
    levels as well.

    I plan on topping out around 10 to 11 hours of cardiovascular
    traning/16-17 hours of total training and maintaining it there until I
    am ready to make my traning more race-specific for a half-IM.
    ,
    -Amie

  13. "IMKen" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I frequently work at losing weight while doing heavy training. I like
    to go a little lower than my ideal race weight and in my last weeks
    prior to an important race be in the slightly gaining mode so that on
    race day I am spot on.

    Ken

    Hi Ken,

    I recently discovered that a few days in July without power while
    removing hurricane debris provides an excellent wieght loss opportunity.
    Is Rich still over in Navarre? They got the worst of it. I hope all is
    well with him?

    Tom

  14. Hi Tom,

    good you made it through Dennis. Not the ideal work-out one seeks.

    Dennis passed over Rich but he and home made out fine. Some trees down but
    unlike Ivan, they missed his roof so all is well.

    Things good here on Kauai. Getting some play time since returning from
    Georgia and the house renovation.

    Ken

    "Tom Henderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Hi Ken,

    I recently discovered that a few days in July without power while
    removing hurricane debris provides an excellent wieght loss opportunity.
    Is Rich still over in Navarre? They got the worst of it. I hope all is
    well with him?

    Tom

  15. Amie said:

    Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
    raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
    lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
    overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
    day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

    The best time of the year to lose weight is not necessarily during the
    hardest part of your workout season. Deficiencies can cause stress
    related injuries, sickness, and emotional lows and decrease your ability
    to heal. The best time would be after you have recovered from your races
    at the end of the racing year, and are taking it easy and working on
    your base, before any speed work begins.

  16. Ok, that's what I thought as well, however, my season was pretty much
    over before it started this year anyway, since I was very sick for the
    first part of this year. The only race I was thinking of doing would be
    the half-IM at the end of November, and my training would basically
    comprise of mainly just base training, as it would not be a race I in
    which I intended to be competive, but just complete (for the sake of my
    sanity, maybe!)...

    -Amie

  17. Amie said:

    Ok, that's what I thought as well, however, my season was pretty much
    over before it started this year anyway, since I was very sick for the
    first part of this year. The only race I was thinking of doing would be
    the half-IM at the end of November, and my training would basically
    comprise of mainly just base training, as it would not be a race I in
    which I intended to be competive, but just complete (for the sake of my
    sanity, maybe!)...

    -Amie

    That's tough, getting sick I mean.
    I consider a half an endevour. What length of races do you normally do?

  18. Amie said:

    Ok, here's what I'm doing:

    This week, 9 hrs, 20 minutes of cardiovascular and 16.5 hrs total
    training (which includes the rest of the things like weight training,
    yoga, calisthenics).

    I cross train a lot right now because I'm trying to get my cardio
    foundation re-established, and in general get back in shape/lose fat,
    so that's not all running, biking, and swimming; it also includes many
    types of group exercise/spinning classes (I'm an instructor), my nordic
    track skier, etc.

    Even though I am doing a lot of cross training, I treat it as my
    regular training schedule. Another words, I don't add more than around
    11-12% as far as volume each week, and I build volume for three weeks
    and cut back one week. Next week is my recovery week and I'll cut back
    to 50% of this week including no weight training. Also, some of the
    workouts are easier, some more intense. I do two a day workouts on
    Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Sunday; Tuesday I only workout
    once and Saturday I don't workout at all or just something easy and
    short for recovery.

    I also watch for overtraning/monitor resting heart rate and hydration
    levels as well.

    I plan on topping out around 10 to 11 hours of cardiovascular
    traning/16-17 hours of total training and maintaining it there until I
    am ready to make my traning more race-specific for a half-IM.
    ,
    -Amie

    Sounds like plenty of volume to get you through a half-IM in my
    opinion.

    I was in a pretty similar state to you a couple of years ago. My
    weight got up to 92kg (normally around 80) after I was out for a year
    with injury (and picked up some pretty bad dietary habits...). My
    sport at the time was rowing so when I got the all clear I went and
    joined my local club again and started their training program which was
    pretty similar to yours - 9 sessions a week (2 weights, 7 cardio) total
    of about 10-11 hours, longest session was ~2 hours. I put myself on a
    diet of mainly chicken, fish, salad, veg, and small amounts of brown
    rice or wholewheat pasta. Used fruit (mainly bananas and apples) as
    snacks and before and after longer sessions.

    I lost 10kg in 8 weeks (10kg = ~22lbs) and in that 8 weeks got back to
    over 95% of my performance pre-injury without suffering any problems.
    Last 2kg took another month by which time I was pretty much back to
    full fitness. Key for me was almost completely cutting out alcohol and
    any sweets/pastries/desserts, etc., keeping rice/pasta portions small
    (previous mindset was to eat bowls of the stuff), keeping the protein
    intake high as I was doing the weights and some fairly high-intensity
    sessions, and keeping fat intake very low. Also have frequent small
    meals to keep the metabolism high - don't ever eat too much or skip a
    meal.

    If you are well above your norm and have some easy weight to lose then
    I wouldn't worry if you lose >1-2lbs per week, provided you are giving
    your body enough protein and carbs to get through the training without
    breaking down your muscles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.