Losing weight and having productive training sessions

Amie

Guest
Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
much at all during that time as well.

Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
lbs a week?

I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
lbs.

I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.

Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.

Thanks,
Amie

I frequently work at losing weight while doing heavy training. I like to go
a little lower than my ideal race weight and in my last weeks prior to an
important race be in the slightly gaining mode so that on race day I am spot
on.

Ken

"Amie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
> training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
> that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
> months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
> much at all during that time as well.
>
> Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
> to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
> half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
> have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
> lbs a week?
>
> I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
> think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
> weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
> lbs.
>
> I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
> up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
> before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
> something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.
>
> Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
> mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.
>
> Thanks,
> Amie

Ok, thanks that makes sense. What kind of a calorie deficit do you
keep, and how do you find it affects your training, if at all?

Thanks,
Amie

I never like to lose weight fast. Seems like after an IM distance event I
will gain about 8 lbs enjoying the goodies I like but went without in
preceding months. I like to lose it at about 1/2 lb per week but that
sometimes really will be closer to 1 lb when I begin hitting the training
hard. That figures to about a 500 cal per day deficit by my math. I am
not sure what it does to my training but the overall effect is positive by
race day.

Actually, I seldom count the calories but just follow the same thing I teach
about training, quit when you would like to have a little more. When it
comes to the food, I just drink a bit more water to fill the space.

Ken

"Amie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, thanks that makes sense. What kind of a calorie deficit do you
> keep, and how do you find it affects your training, if at all?
>
> Thanks,
> Amie

In your earlier post you mentioned that you were having trouble keeping up.
If that means keeping your weight up why are you concerned about that? Do
you know your approximate body fat? A few years back when I was competing
weekly and in some races that were important to me my body fat dropped to a
measured 4%. I was very lean but never felt better. My weight dropped from
my normal race weight of 162 lbs average to 157 lbs and I turned record
times and PR's during a two year period of racing. I have never returned to
that weight since and my performance is a bit slower but then, I am a few
years older.

So, if you are not feeling weak, light headed and your racing performance is
up to par, just eat what you are eating so long as it conforms to a healthy
diet.

Ken

"Amie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Is it possible to attempt to lose weight and still have productive
> training sessions? I was recently misdiagnosed with a medical condition
> that shut off my thyroid and caused me to gain 25 lbs in about 2 1/2
> months. It really broke me down and I was not physically able to do
> much at all during that time as well.
>
> Although I am much better and back to 2 a day workouts, I have a ways
> to go until I'd be physically race-ready. I would like to do a
> half-iron at the end of November, and didn't know if it's possible to
> have a decent training program, while also losing weight, ideally 1-1.5
> lbs a week?
>
> I've read that athletes should only lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week; however, I
> think that I'm in a different situation in that I have a 'bit more'
> weight to lose than a racer just trying to fine-tune and lose 3 or 4
> lbs.
>
> I don't have to win the race but also, wouldn't want to train and end
> up in last place, either. I've not really had to lose this much weight
> before so this is a new experience for me, and I don't want to do
> something that will damage my body, or be futile for racing.
>
> Also, I think training for a race is more motivating for me than
> mindlessly 'working out' to lose weight.
>
> Thanks,
> Amie

I'm not sure which post that was, but it's not with keeping my weight
up. The medications I was on made me gain around 25 lbs and so I am
above any type of normal race weight for me right now.

I know that when I am at my lightest I get my PR's as well. So I'm
looking to get back there as fast as I can without starving myself or
resorting to anything like that.

thanks! Amie

I have a friend who lost 10 lbs in 3 months training for the MS150, and
he would eat a whole large pizza after his workouts.

In short, in your current condition there's probably almost nothing you
could do to keep from losing weight in rather significant amounts. If
you want to lose weight faster, cut out the chocolate cake, but eat as
much fruit, veggies, and complex carbs as you can - this will probably
achieve the desired desired weight loss without sacrificing
performance. As long as you nourishing yourself adequately, you'll be
fine.

Yeah, I just don't want to slow my metabolism down by losing too much
too fast. I wasn't eating enough to support my training, and it messed
with my thyroid hormones, which led to my misdiagnosis. I think the
general guideline of 1-2 lbs a week should be fine though. If I start
losing more than that I'll just eat more.

thanks,
Amie

The more you train, the faster your metabolism gets. The more you eat,
the faster your metabolism gets. The less you weigh, the slower your
metabolism gets.

My unprofessional advice: if you want to lose weight, train more
instead of eating less.

Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

What does that equate to in weekly hours?

Ken

"Amie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
> raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
> lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
> overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
> day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

Ok, here's what I'm doing:

This week, 9 hrs, 20 minutes of cardiovascular and 16.5 hrs total
training (which includes the rest of the things like weight training,
yoga, calisthenics).

I cross train a lot right now because I'm trying to get my cardio
foundation re-established, and in general get back in shape/lose fat,
so that's not all running, biking, and swimming; it also includes many
types of group exercise/spinning classes (I'm an instructor), my nordic
track skier, etc.

Even though I am doing a lot of cross training, I treat it as my
regular training schedule. Another words, I don't add more than around
11-12% as far as volume each week, and I build volume for three weeks
and cut back one week. Next week is my recovery week and I'll cut back
to 50% of this week including no weight training. Also, some of the
workouts are easier, some more intense. I do two a day workouts on
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Sunday; Tuesday I only workout
once and Saturday I don't workout at all or just something easy and
short for recovery.

I also watch for overtraning/monitor resting heart rate and hydration
levels as well.

I plan on topping out around 10 to 11 hours of cardiovascular
traning/16-17 hours of total training and maintaining it there until I
am ready to make my traning more race-specific for a half-IM.
,
-Amie

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I frequently work at losing weight while doing heavy training. I like
> to go a little lower than my ideal race weight and in my last weeks
> prior to an important race be in the slightly gaining mode so that on
> race day I am spot on.
>
> Ken

Hi Ken,

I recently discovered that a few days in July without power while
removing hurricane debris provides an excellent wieght loss opportunity.
Is Rich still over in Navarre? They got the worst of it. I hope all is
well with him?

Tom

Hi Tom,

good you made it through Dennis. Not the ideal work-out one seeks.

Dennis passed over Rich but he and home made out fine. Some trees down but
unlike Ivan, they missed his roof so all is well.

Things good here on Kauai. Getting some play time since returning from
Georgia and the house renovation.

Ken

news:[email protected]...

Amie wrote:
> Yeah, I agree. What I did was start training more AND eating more, to
> raise my metabolism. But now there needs to be a calorie deficit to
> lose weight, and I can't really exercise more at this point without
> overtraining - already working out twice a day five days a week, once a
> day one day a week, and one day of a short recovery workout.

The best time of the year to lose weight is not necessarily during the
hardest part of your workout season. Deficiencies can cause stress
related injuries, sickness, and emotional lows and decrease your ability
to heal. The best time would be after you have recovered from your races
at the end of the racing year, and are taking it easy and working on
your base, before any speed work begins.

Ok, that's what I thought as well, however, my season was pretty much
over before it started this year anyway, since I was very sick for the
first part of this year. The only race I was thinking of doing would be
the half-IM at the end of November, and my training would basically
comprise of mainly just base training, as it would not be a race I in
which I intended to be competive, but just complete (for the sake of my
sanity, maybe!)...

-Amie

Amie wrote:
> Ok, that's what I thought as well, however, my season was pretty much
> over before it started this year anyway, since I was very sick for the
> first part of this year. The only race I was thinking of doing would be
> the half-IM at the end of November, and my training would basically
> comprise of mainly just base training, as it would not be a race I in
> which I intended to be competive, but just complete (for the sake of my
> sanity, maybe!)...
>
> -Amie

That's tough, getting sick I mean.
I consider a half an endevour. What length of races do you normally do?

Amie wrote:
> Ok, here's what I'm doing:
>
> This week, 9 hrs, 20 minutes of cardiovascular and 16.5 hrs total
> training (which includes the rest of the things like weight training,
> yoga, calisthenics).
>
> I cross train a lot right now because I'm trying to get my cardio
> foundation re-established, and in general get back in shape/lose fat,
> so that's not all running, biking, and swimming; it also includes many
> types of group exercise/spinning classes (I'm an instructor), my nordic
> track skier, etc.
>
> Even though I am doing a lot of cross training, I treat it as my
> regular training schedule. Another words, I don't add more than around
> 11-12% as far as volume each week, and I build volume for three weeks
> and cut back one week. Next week is my recovery week and I'll cut back
> to 50% of this week including no weight training. Also, some of the
> workouts are easier, some more intense. I do two a day workouts on
> Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Sunday; Tuesday I only workout
> once and Saturday I don't workout at all or just something easy and
> short for recovery.
>
> I also watch for overtraning/monitor resting heart rate and hydration
> levels as well.
>
> I plan on topping out around 10 to 11 hours of cardiovascular
> traning/16-17 hours of total training and maintaining it there until I
> am ready to make my traning more race-specific for a half-IM.
> ,
> -Amie

Sounds like plenty of volume to get you through a half-IM in my
opinion.

I was in a pretty similar state to you a couple of years ago. My
weight got up to 92kg (normally around 80) after I was out for a year
with injury (and picked up some pretty bad dietary habits...). My
sport at the time was rowing so when I got the all clear I went and
joined my local club again and started their training program which was
pretty similar to yours - 9 sessions a week (2 weights, 7 cardio) total
of about 10-11 hours, longest session was ~2 hours. I put myself on a
diet of mainly chicken, fish, salad, veg, and small amounts of brown
rice or wholewheat pasta. Used fruit (mainly bananas and apples) as
snacks and before and after longer sessions.

I lost 10kg in 8 weeks (10kg = ~22lbs) and in that 8 weeks got back to
over 95% of my performance pre-injury without suffering any problems.
Last 2kg took another month by which time I was pretty much back to
full fitness. Key for me was almost completely cutting out alcohol and
any sweets/pastries/desserts, etc., keeping rice/pasta portions small
(previous mindset was to eat bowls of the stuff), keeping the protein
intake high as I was doing the weights and some fairly high-intensity
sessions, and keeping fat intake very low. Also have frequent small
meals to keep the metabolism high - don't ever eat too much or skip a
meal.

If you are well above your norm and have some easy weight to lose then
I wouldn't worry if you lose >1-2lbs per week, provided you are giving
your body enough protein and carbs to get through the training without
breaking down your muscles.