General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lots a Snow

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 23 posts · 634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 February 2006
Last activity
19 February 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I agree with Dot that Yaktrax work best in softer conditions. I have
    not had a chance to try them out on truly hard ice - solid, but not
    hard.
    The other limit they seem to have is; in the warmer weather 30's -
    40's, the rubber gets to stretchy and the trax move around on the foot
    too much or work their way off completely. I think a little product
    development would produce a gripper that relied on lacing, not stretch
    and had some barbs in place of the coils.
    If we have another awful NE winter like this one, I think I'll try
    screw-shoes.

    /john

  2. Hi Dot,
    You must have a porch full of gear.
    I think I am going to hang onto my older shoes this year and make a
    pair of screw shoes. Our trails here in the NH Seacoast go from, hard
    to soft to dirt and rock - all in one run. I liked the idea of the
    Yaktrax becuase they seemed to leave the shoe tread useable and
    exposed. I'd start drilling screws into my Hardrocks right now but I
    have a feeling that I should play around with a pair of disposalble
    shoes first.
    We continue to have awful warm weather and I'll be hitting the trails
    running again today. I should be waxing up and skiing.

    /john

  3. jgs said:

    Hi Dot,
    You must have a porch full of gear.
    I think I am going to hang onto my older shoes this year and make a
    pair of screw shoes. Our trails here in the NH Seacoast go from, hard
    to soft to dirt and rock - all in one run. I liked the idea of the
    Yaktrax becuase they seemed to leave the shoe tread useable and
    exposed.

    The yaktrax may keep your shoe tread above the ground level unless it's
    soft snow - more so with the pro version because the coils are larger.
    This is one reason they're so treacherous on really hard ice.

    One advantage of the stabilicers is that they have sticky rubber that
    comes down to ground level so you have both screw-like studs and sticky
    rubber for traction.

    I'd start drilling screws into my Hardrocks right now but I

    Quoted message said:

    have a feeling that I should play around with a pair of disposalble
    shoes first.

    Good plan.

    Quoted message said:

    We continue to have awful warm weather and I'll be hitting the trails
    running again today. I should be waxing up and skiing.

    We were in the 40s today, but I think it'll cool off tonight to keep
    trails firm for the Su100 racers. They had really good trails to start
    this am. In fact, the first 50k biker finished in about 2.5 hr, instead
    of the 3.5 hr they were anticipating - people weren't even ready at the
    finish line yet. First runners were under 4 hr. (might have been a
    little short and was slightly modified from last year)

    Elsewhere in the state it's been bizarre, 90mph winds and blizzard for
    Yukon Quest sled dog race, avalanches in the Alaska Range (and
    elsewhere), sea coming in over Iditarod trail (usually goes over ice
    pack) on the coast so Iron Dogs got to see if their snowmachines could swim.

    Dot

    --
    "Remorse - a good trail always makes you feel sorry that it is over no
    matter how tired you are" - Matt Carpenter

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.