Low Carb 1-2-3 by Rozanne Gold with Helen Kimmel

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jane Smith, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Jane Smith

    Jane Smith Guest

    Low Carb 1-2-3
    225 Simply Great 3-Ingredient Recipes
    by Rozanne Gold with Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D.
    Published by Rodale
    January 2005, $16.95US/$23.95CAN; 1-59486-165-X

    225 Simply Great 3-Ingredient Recipes

    As a professional chef for 25 years, Rozanne Gold is a big believer in using
    only the best and freshest ingredients -- and treating them simply to
    achieve fabulously flavorful results. That's what her award-winning "1-2-3"
    series of three-ingredient cookbooks are all about. Now Gold works her 1-2-3
    magic on low-carb cooking, creating an invaluable collection of amazingly
    simple and satisfying recipes that meet the guidelines of all the low-carb
    and good-carb plans out there today, including Atkins, South Beach, Sugar
    Busters, and Glycemic Index diets.

    What's more, every recipe is also low in calories and saturated fat, so the
    dishes are easy to incorporate into any weightloss program and are great for
    anyone who just wants to eat healthy.

    Here are 225 delightfully easy and delicious recipes that sound (and taste)
    more complicated than just three ingredients -- from fortifying breakfasts
    like Baked Eggs Ranchero, to fabulous party food like Wasabi-Stuffed Shrimp,
    to savory main dishes like Chicken Rollatini with Salami and Roasted
    Peppers, to luscious desserts like Frozen Hot Chocolate.

    Each recipe is placed in one of three basic categories, from very low carb
    to indulgent low carb, and the "Carbs That Count" feature gives readers a
    quick tally of actual carbs consumed. Additional features include tips for
    stocking the 1-2-3 kitchen, a selection of 50 low-carb snacks, a collection
    of 50 low-carb menus, and a reference list ranking carb-smart (and
    not-so-smart) foods.

    Whether you're looking for recipes to help you stick to a low-carb diet or
    just want to improve the quality of your family meals, you will be delighted
    to discover that satisfying, low-carb meals are as easy as 1-2-3.

    Author
    Rozanne Gold began her career at the age of 24 as chef to then-New York
    mayor Ed Koch. The author of nine cookbooks, Gold is a three-time winner of
    the James Beard Foundation Book Award and winner of the International
    Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award. She is the
    entertaining columnist for Bon Appètit magazine and has written for The New
    York Times, Gourmet, Cooking Light, and many other national publications.
    She is the chef-director of the restaurant consulting firm that created some
    of the world's most famous restaurants, including the Rainbow Room and
    Windows on the World. Gold lives in New York City.

    Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D., is a registered dietitian and certified
    nutritionist. She began her career as the staff nutritionist at New York's
    legendary Rainbow Room. As a nutrition consultant, Kimmel has contributed to
    many projects including various Reader's Digest cookbooks and Rozanne Gold's
    1-2-3 series. She has lectured for Cornell University, the American Heart
    Association, and the Alzheimer's Association and provides personalized
    nutrition counseling and conducts healthy-cooking classes. She lives in New
    Jersey with her husband and two children.

    Reviews
    "Gold's amazing book unwraps the secret to healthy eating no matter what
    kind of diet you're following. Do the '1-2-3': It will change your life in
    the most delicious way."
    --Marc Summers, host of the TV Food Network's Unwrapped

    "This is totally the best of everything -- low carb, low-cal, low stress! I
    live by this book, and you will, too."
    --Rona Jaffe, best-selling author of The Best of Everything, Class Reunion,
    and The Road Taken

    "Simplicity is the key ingredient."
    --The Philadelphia Inquirer

    Excerpt
    The following is an excerpt from the book Low Carb 1-2-3: 225 Simply Great
    3-Ingredient Recipes
    By Rozanne Gold with Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D.
    Published by Rodale
    January 2005, $16.95US/$23.95CAN; 1-59486-165-X
    Copyright © 2005 Rozanne Gold

    creamy carrot-ginger soup

    ILC - Indulgent Low Carb
    Carb That Count - 12.5 grams

    Sometimes carrots can be a good thing, even for carb counters. You'll be
    amazed how easy it is to extract the fresh ginger juice needed in this
    recipe and how perfectly its flavor melds with carrots. Heavy cream makes
    this soup taste luxurious.

    1 1/2 pounds carrots
    1 5" piece fresh ginger
    4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream

    Trim the carrots, peel them using a vegetable peeler, and cut them into 1"
    pieces. Transfer the carrots to a medium-size pot and add 4 cups water and 1
    1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook,
    uncovered, until the carrots are very soft, about 35 minutes.

    Meanwhile, peel the ginger and grate it on the large holes of a box grater.
    Wrap the ginger in a paper towel and squeeze hard to extract juice. (You
    will have about 1 tablespoon juice.) Discard the grated ginger.

    Transfer the carrots to a food processor and puree until very smooth, slowly
    adding all the cooking water as you process. Add the ginger juice and heavy
    cream and process to incorporate.

    Return the soup to the pot and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to
    taste. Heat through and serve.

    Serves 4

    nutritionist's note: Carrots, formerly forbidden on low-carb plans, became
    acceptable in limited amounts when it was realized that their glycemic load
    was less taxing than originally thought. Eating carrots in moderation adds
    beneficial nutrients to one's overall diet.

    CTC*: 12.68; Total Carbs: 17.79; Fiber: 5.11; Total Fat: 6.57; Sat Fat:
    3.94; Protein: 2.11; Calories: 132

    parmesan-crusted pork tenderloins

    VLC - Very Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 0 grams

    This is an unusual combination of flavors, but they really work together.
    The cheese forms a handsome crust around the pork, helping to seal in the
    juices. If you're bashful about cumin, feel free to use ground sage instead.

    2 pork tenderloins (14 ounces each)
    3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, about 3 ounces
    2 tablespoons ground cumin

    Preheat the oven to 375°F.

    Pat the pork dry with paper towels and lightly season it with salt.

    In a small bowl, mix together the cheese, cumin, and freshly ground black
    pepper to taste. Press the mixture all over the pork, coating it as
    thoroughly as possible.

    Place the pork on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow roasting pan. Bake
    for 12 minutes. Turn the pork over and bake for 10 minutes longer. (The pork
    should be slightly pink in the center.) Remove the pork from the oven,
    transfer it to a cutting board, and let it rest for several minutes before
    serving. Cut the pork into 1/2"-thick slices and serve immediately.

    Serves 4

    CTC*: 0; Total Carbs: 1.20; Fiber: 1.20; Total Fat: 13.75; Sat Fat: 6.04;
    Protein: 50.70; Calories: 339

    sun-dried tomato meat loaf

    LC - Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 7.5 grams

    Meat loaf recipes are often haphazard accumulations of way too many
    ingredients, but this version rolls things back to the fundamental few. Ice
    cubes -- my mother's secret -- keep the meat moist and juicy. You can also
    shape the meat into burgers and sear them in a skillet.

    1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
    1 medium-large onion
    1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin

    Preheat the oven to 350°F.

    Drain the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes into a large nonstick skillet.
    Finely dice the tomatoes and set them aside.

    Finely dice the onion to get 1 packed cup. Set the skillet over medium heat
    and add the diced onion. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until the onion
    is soft and golden, about 10 minutes.

    In a large bowl, combine the sirloin, diced tomatoes, cooked onion with all
    the pan juices, 1 teaspoon salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

    In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup cold water and 3 slightly crushed ice cubes and
    add to the sirloin. Mix thoroughly. Shape into an 8" x 4 1/2" loaf and place
    on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow roasting pan. Bake for 35 to 40
    minutes. Remove the sirloin from the oven and let rest 5 minutes before
    serving.

    Serves 4

    CTC*: 7.56; Total Carbs: 9.87; Fiber: 2.31; Total Fat: 16.17; Sat Fat: 5.12;
    Protein: 37.15; Calories: 335

    quick chicken parmigiana

    VLC - Very Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 5 grams

    Chicken "parm" is one of America's most popular dishes, but it always comes
    breaded and fried. I've low-carbed it here (and slashed the calories) by
    scrapping the breading but not its essential Italian spirit, nor the oozing
    melted cheese. This is perfect for a get-it-on-the-table-fast lunch or
    supper.

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
    1 cup marinara sauce
    3 1/2 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced

    In a large, deep, nonstick sauté pan, add salted water to a depth of 2" and
    bring to a boil. Slip the chicken into the water and reduce the heat to
    medium. Cook until the chicken is just firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
    Immediately remove the chicken from the water and pat it dry with paper
    towels. Season the chicken with salt and ground white pepper.

    Preheat the broiler.

    Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

    In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the sauce and heat until
    just hot.

    Place the still-warm chicken on the baking sheet. Spoon the sauce evenly
    over the chicken and cover them with the cheese. Broil about 6" from the
    heat until the cheese is a little bubbly and golden brown. Remove the
    chicken from the oven and serve immediately.

    Serves 4

    nutritionist's note: Many jarred marinara sauces are very high in added
    sugars. Check the nutrition labels and buy one that contains no more than 5
    grams of carbohydrates per 1/2 cup.

    CTC*: 5.03; Total Carbs: 6.53; Fiber: 1.50; Total Fat: 12.41; Sat Fat: 5.73;
    Protein: 59.71; Calories: 392

    roasted portobellos on rosemary branches

    VLC - Very Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 3.5 grams

    I've combined three big, highly aromatic components that result in a dish
    with enough style to be served as a first course or as an accompaniment to
    something simple like a grilled steak or roast chicken.

    1 pound medium portobello mushrooms
    1/4 cup garlic-flavored olive oil
    2 large bunches rosemary

    Preheat the oven to 425°F.

    Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and trim the woody bottoms. Cut
    the larger mushrooms into quarters and the smaller ones in half. Place the
    mushrooms in a bowl and pour the oil over the mushrooms. Lightly sprinkle
    the mushrooms with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well
    and let sit for 10 minutes.

    Remove 1 large sprig rosemary. Scatter the remaining rosemary branches in
    the center of a rimmed baking sheet to make a large mat for the mushrooms.
    Place the mushrooms on the rosemary branches. Roast for 12 to15 minutes,
    until the mushrooms have just softened. (Do not overcook.)

    Finely chop the leaves of the remaining rosemary sprig. Remove the mushrooms
    from the oven and transfer them to a platter with some of the rosemary
    branches. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the freshly chopped rosemary. Serve
    immediately.

    Serves 4

    CTC*: 3.29; Total Carbs: 4.71; Fiber: 1.42; Total Fat: 13.90; Sat Fat: 1.89;
    Protein: 3.30; Calories: 148

    string beans with roasted garlic butter

    LC - Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 6.5 grams

    The roasted garlic butter, which you make yourself, is also dreamy on
    steamed broccoli, sugar snaps or snow peas, or atop any sautéed leafy
    greens. Garlic butter can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 2
    to 3 days.

    1 large bulb garlic
    1/4 cup sweet whipped butter, at room temperature
    1 pound green beans or wax beans

    Preheat the oven to 400°F.

    Wrap the whole bulb of garlic in a pouch of aluminum foil, making sure to
    tightly crimp the edges all around. Place the garlic in a metal baking pan
    and roast for 1 1/4 hours. Remove the garlic from the oven and let cool. Cut
    in half through the equator and squeeze out the pulp into a medium-large
    bowl. Add the butter to the bowl and mash together with the garlic pulp. Set
    aside at room temperature.

    Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Trim the ends of the
    beans. Add the beans to the boiling water and cook over high heat until the
    beans are just tender, about 6 minutes. Immediately drain the beans in a
    colander, shaking off any excess water. Add the beans to the bowl with the
    garlic butter and toss quickly. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to
    taste. Serve immediately.

    Serves 4

    CTC*: 6.57; Total Carbs: 10.58; Fiber: 4.01; Total Fat: 7.80; Sat Fat: 4.78;
    Protein: 2.62; Calories: 114

    fresh raspberries with lemon-maple sauce

    ILC - Indulgent Low Carb
    Carbs That Count - 12 grams

    This is a simple and sophisticated merger of flavors that is indeed more
    than the sum of its parts. Serve it in chilled martini glasses with a lemon
    twist, and you'll get oohs and ahhs at the table.

    3 pints raspberries
    1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
    1 lemon

    Place the raspberries in a bowl.

    In a small bowl, place the syrup. Grate the zest of the lemon and set aside.
    Halve the lemon and squeeze to get 3 tablespoons juice. Mix the juice into
    the syrup and stir until combined. Pour the lemon-syrup sauce over the
    raspberries and let marinate for 15 minutes.

    Distribute the raspberries among 4 chilled martini or wine glasses. Top with
    the sauce from the bowl. Scatter the lemon zest on top and serve
    immediately. You may also garnish each serving with a long twist of lemon
    zest or a paper-thin lemon slice cut from an additional lemon.

    Serves 4

    nutritionist's note: Blueberries lead the list of antioxidant-fortified
    fruits, but strawberries and raspberries are close to the top.

    CTC*: 11.90; Total Carbs: 24.81; Fiber: 12.91; Total Fat: 1.02; Sat Fat:
    ..04; Protein: 1.77; Calories: 115

    * CTC = Carbs that Count

    Reprinted from: Low Carb 1-2-3: 225 Simply Great 3-Ingredient Recipes by
    Rozanne Gold with Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D. © 2005 Rozanne Gold Permission
    granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold
    or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their
    website at www.rodalestore.com

    Tags:

  2. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Jane Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Low Carb 1-2-3
    > 225 Simply Great 3-Ingredient Recipes
    > by Rozanne Gold with Helen Kimmel, M.S., R.D.
    > Published by Rodale
    > January 2005, $16.95US/$23.95CAN; 1-59486-165-X
    >

    > 225 Simply Great 3-Ingredient Recipes

    Wow, some of those recipes look great. And without the usual super-long list
    of ingredients. Thanks for posting!

    HG