General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Low-carb creme brulee?

Started by wilson · · Last activity · 18 posts · 900 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 September 2004
Last activity
29 September 2004
Original author
wilson
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
900
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (wilson) said:

    Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

    I made the custard recipe from _How to Cook Everything_ with splenda
    substituting for sugar. Since it has eggs, it sets up fine. I have the
    caramel syrup, for next time I have a flan craving.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
    --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball

  3. Sure.

    It's just custard. Eggs and sweetener.

    I've made it.

    Jennifer

    wilson said:

    Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

  4. "wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

    It's Creme Caramel without the crust.

    Nicky.

  5. Nicky said:

    "wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

    It's Creme Caramel without the crust.

    Yep. But the classic way to make it won't work with LC ingredients.
    The old way was to caramelize sugar and pour it into the mold before
    putting the custard mixture in. The caramel would harden quickly as it
    cooled in the mold but melt during the processing of the custard. When
    unmolded, the now-liquid caramel would stream out of the mold
    anointing the custard.

    Simplest inauthentic way: Make the custard and unmold it. Then pour a
    bit of syrup over it.

    OR you could play a small game with the syrup (which I haven't done,
    but is what a friend calls "computer cookery"😉. Put the mold in the
    freezer to chill. Pour in some syrup and return to the freezer until
    it's either solid or very thick. Then finish as the old way. If it
    works, you get something like the traditional creme caramel. If it
    doesn't, you get a caramel-flavored custard. No lose...

    Pastorio

  6. you don't unmold creme brulee.

    it doesn't have that syrupy bottom, that's flan.

    I make this one often for company with Splenda. I do use real sugar on
    the guests portions and do carmelize... mine I keep uncrusted. But,
    it's only 1/2 a tsp of sugar per serving. That's only 2g of carbs. So
    even if you went whole hog on this, as long as you made the custard with
    Splenda, most could spring for the crusted sugar.

    GINGER CREME BRULEE

    3 cups whipping cream
    2 tablespoons (packed) coarsely grated peeled fresh ginger
    10 large egg yolks
    1 cup Splenda
    4 teaspoons sugar

    Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine cream and ginger in heavy medium
    saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand
    20 minutes. Strain cream into small bowl, pressing on solids in sieve.
    Whisk yolks and 1 cup splenda in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk
    in warm cream. Divide custard among eight 3/4-cup ramekins or custard
    cups. Place ramekins in large roasting pan. Pour enough warm water into
    pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.

    Bake custards just until set in center when pan is gently shaken,
    about 45 minutes. Remove custards from water bath; chill uncovered until
    cold, at least 3 hours. Cover and chill overnight.

    Preheat broiler. Place custards on baking sheet. Sprinkle each with
    1/2 teaspoon of remaining sugar. Broil until sugar melts and
    caramelizes, turning sheet for even browning, about 1 minute.
    Refrigerate custards until topping is cold and brittle, about 1 hour and
    up to 2 hours.

    Makes 8 servings.

    Bob (this one) said:
    Nicky said:

    "wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    raspberries.

    It's Creme Caramel without the crust.

    Yep. But the classic way to make it won't work with LC ingredients. The
    old way was to caramelize sugar and pour it into the mold before putting
    the custard mixture in. The caramel would harden quickly as it cooled in
    the mold but melt during the processing of the custard. When unmolded,
    the now-liquid caramel would stream out of the mold anointing the custard.

    Simplest inauthentic way: Make the custard and unmold it. Then pour a
    bit of syrup over it.

    OR you could play a small game with the syrup (which I haven't done, but
    is what a friend calls "computer cookery"😉. Put the mold in the freezer
    to chill. Pour in some syrup and return to the freezer until it's either
    solid or very thick. Then finish as the old way. If it works, you get
    something like the traditional creme caramel. If it doesn't, you get a
    caramel-flavored custard. No lose...

    Pastorio

  7. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yep. But the classic way to make it won't work with LC ingredients.
    The old way was to caramelize sugar and pour it into the mold before
    putting the custard mixture in. The caramel would harden quickly as it
    cooled in the mold but melt during the processing of the custard. When
    unmolded, the now-liquid caramel would stream out of the mold
    anointing the custard.

    Simplest inauthentic way: Make the custard and unmold it. Then pour a
    bit of syrup over it.

    OR you could play a small game with the syrup (which I haven't done,
    but is what a friend calls "computer cookery"😉. Put the mold in the
    freezer to chill. Pour in some syrup and return to the freezer until
    it's either solid or very thick. Then finish as the old way. If it
    works, you get something like the traditional creme caramel. If it
    doesn't, you get a caramel-flavored custard. No lose...

    Sure you can, I have-Diabetisweet caramelizes nicely. Made a truly
    delightful flan!

    Lynne A
    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:


    Pastorio

  8. Jennifer said:

    you don't unmold creme brulee.

    No one said you did. Read what's written. The direction was toward
    creme caramel instead which can be served either in its mold or
    unmolded. It can have the caramel added later or baked into the bottom
    of the mold and then it can be called flan (if you're speaking
    Spanish). The proper French name is creme renversee au caramel, almost
    always called creme caramel, and it's the same thing.

    Quoted message said:

    it doesn't have that syrupy bottom, that's flan.

    Yep. <g> All popular on my restaurant menus irrespective of names.

    Pastorio

    Quoted message said:

    I make this one often for company with Splenda. I do use real sugar on
    the guests portions and do carmelize... mine I keep uncrusted. But,
    it's only 1/2 a tsp of sugar per serving. That's only 2g of carbs. So
    even if you went whole hog on this, as long as you made the custard with
    Splenda, most could spring for the crusted sugar.

    GINGER CREME BRULEE

    3 cups whipping cream
    2 tablespoons (packed) coarsely grated peeled fresh ginger
    10 large egg yolks
    1 cup Splenda
    4 teaspoons sugar

    Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine cream and ginger in heavy medium
    saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand
    20 minutes. Strain cream into small bowl, pressing on solids in sieve.
    Whisk yolks and 1 cup splenda in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk
    in warm cream. Divide custard among eight 3/4-cup ramekins or custard
    cups. Place ramekins in large roasting pan. Pour enough warm water into
    pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.

    Bake custards just until set in center when pan is gently shaken, about
    45 minutes. Remove custards from water bath; chill uncovered until cold,
    at least 3 hours. Cover and chill overnight.

    Preheat broiler. Place custards on baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1/2
    teaspoon of remaining sugar. Broil until sugar melts and caramelizes,
    turning sheet for even browning, about 1 minute. Refrigerate custards
    until topping is cold and brittle, about 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

    Makes 8 servings.

    Bob (this one) said:
    Nicky said:

    "wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > Possible to make a low-carb creme brulee, flan, or custard?
    > I know I won't have the crackly crust, but it's occurred to me I could
    > pour a little Torani caramel syrup over the top, or serve with
    > raspberries.

    It's Creme Caramel without the crust.

    Yep. But the classic way to make it won't work with LC ingredients.
    The old way was to caramelize sugar and pour it into the mold before
    putting the custard mixture in. The caramel would harden quickly as it
    cooled in the mold but melt during the processing of the custard. When
    unmolded, the now-liquid caramel would stream out of the mold
    anointing the custard.

    Simplest inauthentic way: Make the custard and unmold it. Then pour a
    bit of syrup over it.

    OR you could play a small game with the syrup (which I haven't done,
    but is what a friend calls "computer cookery"😉. Put the mold in the
    freezer to chill. Pour in some syrup and return to the freezer until
    it's either solid or very thick. Then finish as the old way. If it
    works, you get something like the traditional creme caramel. If it
    doesn't, you get a caramel-flavored custard. No lose...

    Pastorio

  9. Lynne A said:

    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yep. But the classic way to make it won't work with LC ingredients.
    The old way was to caramelize sugar and pour it into the mold before
    putting the custard mixture in. The caramel would harden quickly as it
    cooled in the mold but melt during the processing of the custard. When
    unmolded, the now-liquid caramel would stream out of the mold
    anointing the custard.

    Simplest inauthentic way: Make the custard and unmold it. Then pour a
    bit of syrup over it.

    OR you could play a small game with the syrup (which I haven't done,
    but is what a friend calls "computer cookery"😉. Put the mold in the
    freezer to chill. Pour in some syrup and return to the freezer until
    it's either solid or very thick. Then finish as the old way. If it
    works, you get something like the traditional creme caramel. If it
    doesn't, you get a caramel-flavored custard. No lose...

    Sure you can, I have-Diabetisweet caramelizes nicely. Made a truly
    delightful flan!

    I'm officially offering to bear your children (never mind that
    impossibility thing). <LOL> How was the flavor compared to white
    sugar? It caramelizes like sugar? I have some Diabetisweet but have
    never tried it.

    Good job.

    Pastorio

  10. Mmmm. This all looks good. And as soon as I get my Corning bakeware
    home (we got some as a wedding present) I'm going to make some!

  11. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lynne A said:


    Sure you can, I have-Diabetisweet caramelizes nicely. Made a truly
    delightful flan!

    I'm officially offering to bear your children (never mind that
    impossibility thing). <LOL> How was the flavor compared to white
    sugar? It caramelizes like sugar? I have some Diabetisweet but have
    never tried it.

    Good job.

    Pastorio

    LOL! You have NO idea how impossible!

    The flavor was really close to sugar in this application-I haven't used it
    for anything else yet. Tasted like regular flan to me, and yes, it
    caramelized just like sugar. I chose a recipe that didn't call for cooking
    the sugar with water, though-I was afraid that the Diabetisweet might not
    react the same with the water mixed in. But by itself it acted just like
    sugar.

    Lynne A
    [email hidden]

  12. "Jennifer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    GINGER CREME BRULEE

    Wow, that sounds good!

    What do you do with all the egg-whites? Does Splenda make meringues?

    Nicky.

    --
    HgBA1C 10.5/6.4/<6 Weight 95/83/72
    1g Metformin, 75mg Thyroxine
    T2 DX 05/2004

  13. Nicky said:

    "Jennifer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    GINGER CREME BRULEE

    Wow, that sounds good!

    What do you do with all the egg-whites? Does Splenda make meringues?

    You know... I "wasted" them.

    But I will try macaroons next time. I have a recipe from Myra that I've
    never made:

    MYRA'S COCONUT-ALMOND MACAROONS

    4 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup Splenda (or equivalent AS)
    1/2 cup finely ground, blanched almonds
    2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut

    Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

    In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites, salt and vanilla until frothy,
    then, as you keep whipping, slowly pour in the Splenda. Whip
    until stiff peaks form - but not dried out. Fold in the almonds
    and coconut.

    Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the macaroon batter
    by rounded tablespoons about 1/2-1 inch apart on the parchment
    (macaroons don't rise or spread, so you can put them close together).
    Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

    Turn off the oven heat, open the door slightly, and let the macaroons
    sit in the oven until cool - this keeps the moisture content down.

    Store in an airtight container.

    Makes about 2 dozen macaroons, about 1.67 carbs each. If you make
    this recipe with Splenda tablets instead of bulk, the carb count drops
    down to about .8 carb each.

  14. no wonder you people stay fat. dessert does not have to be part of
    your regular meal!

  15. "billydee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    no wonder you people stay fat. dessert does not have to be part of
    your regular meal!

    It's not - maybe a once or twice a month treat for me at the moment. Without
    the option of that kind of treat, I'd quickly go off the diet.

    Nicky.

    --
    HgBA1C 10.5/6.4/<6 Weight 95/82/72
    1g Metformin, 75mg Thyroxine
    T2 DX 05/2004

  16. Do you buy unsweetened coconut somewhere or do you shred your own?

    Jennifer S.
    206/158/135

  17. They have it at my supermarket... and at Trader Joes.

    Jennifer the other one ; )

    Jennifer S. said:

    Do you buy unsweetened coconut somewhere or do you shred your own?

    Jennifer S.
    206/158/135

  18. [email hidden] (billydee) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    no wonder you people stay fat. dessert does not have to be part of
    your regular meal!

    Hey! With low enough carbs/calories and high enough protein, dessert
    can *be* your meal. Why go halfway? 😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.