General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Low Carb Rice Yea Right

Started by Curt · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,091 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 December 2004
Last activity
8 December 2004
Original author
Curt
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,091
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My local health food store sold me a bag of "Gao Thom Truong Xuan" brand
    of Jasmine rice. The back label says it's "Thai Hom Mali Rice" or
    "Milagrosa" The nutrition lable says 2 grams of carbs with 2 grams of
    fiber per 110 grams of rice. This sounded a bit too good to be true so
    I decided to do a little experiment. I measured my blood sugar at 85. I
    ate 1 cup of rice and measured again in 45 minutes. My sugar was up to
    180. Guess that was not as low carb as the package or the store keeper
    said. He told me it was 'Flying off the shelf' I wonder why, what false
    labeling.

  2. "Curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My local health food store sold me a bag of "Gao Thom Truong Xuan" brand
    of Jasmine rice. The back label says it's "Thai Hom Mali Rice" or
    "Milagrosa" The nutrition lable says 2 grams of carbs with 2 grams of
    fiber per 110 grams of rice. This sounded a bit too good to be true so
    I decided to do a little experiment. I measured my blood sugar at 85. I
    ate 1 cup of rice and measured again in 45 minutes. My sugar was up to
    180. Guess that was not as low carb as the package or the store keeper
    said. He told me it was 'Flying off the shelf' I wonder why, what false
    labeling.

    I don't know. I can't imagine anyone making a false label, but I can't
    imagine rice being low-carb, either. I do recall that I used to drink
    jasmine tea. I love jasmine.

    If the food is not working for you right now, avoid it. When you reach your
    target weight, you can have it in limited quantities. This is what we all
    do.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    My local health food store sold me a bag of "Gao Thom Truong Xuan" brand
    of Jasmine rice. The back label says it's "Thai Hom Mali Rice" or
    "Milagrosa" The nutrition lable says 2 grams of carbs with 2 grams of
    fiber per 110 grams of rice. This sounded a bit too good to be true so
    I decided to do a little experiment. I measured my blood sugar at 85. I
    ate 1 cup of rice and measured again in 45 minutes. My sugar was up to
    180. Guess that was not as low carb as the package or the store keeper
    said. He told me it was 'Flying off the shelf' I wonder why, what false
    labeling.

    All you really did was test the glycemic index of the rice. Obviously this rice
    is no better than any other. But if you mixed it with butter and cheese, the
    glucose rise would have spread over a longer period and might not have hit a
    high spike of 180.

  4. :
    : All you really did was test the glycemic index of the rice. Obviously this
    rice
    : is no better than any other. But if you mixed it with butter and cheese,
    the
    : glucose rise would have spread over a longer period and might not have hit
    a
    : high spike of 180.
    :

    Okay, now you're making me hungry.

    Pat in TX

  5. Curt said:

    My local health food store sold me a bag of "Gao Thom Truong Xuan" brand
    of Jasmine rice. The back label says it's "Thai Hom Mali Rice" or
    "Milagrosa" The nutrition lable says 2 grams of carbs with 2 grams of
    fiber per 110 grams of rice. This sounded a bit too good to be true so
    I decided to do a little experiment. I measured my blood sugar at 85. I
    ate 1 cup of rice and measured again in 45 minutes. My sugar was up to
    180. Guess that was not as low carb as the package or the store keeper
    said. He told me it was 'Flying off the shelf' I wonder why, what false
    labeling.

    I'm not quick to judge people about labels in a foreign language.

    It does sound kind of unlikely, but would teh 100 grams be after the rice is
    cooked and includes water?

    Dunno if it relates, but some kinds of rice from Asia are supposed to be a
    bit lower glycemic anyway, perhaps becasue of being pre-processed? Might be
    worth checking.

    Skinny

  6. Skinny said:
    Curt said:

    My local health food store sold me a bag of "Gao Thom Truong Xuan" brand
    of Jasmine rice. The back label says it's "Thai Hom Mali Rice" or
    "Milagrosa" The nutrition lable says 2 grams of carbs with 2 grams of
    fiber per 110 grams of rice. This sounded a bit too good to be true so
    I decided to do a little experiment. I measured my blood sugar at 85. I
    ate 1 cup of rice and measured again in 45 minutes. My sugar was up to
    180. Guess that was not as low carb as the package or the store keeper
    said. He told me it was 'Flying off the shelf' I wonder why, what false
    labeling.

    I'm not quick to judge people about labels in a foreign language.

    It does sound kind of unlikely, but would teh 100 grams be after the rice is
    cooked and includes water?

    It sounds far beyond unlikely -- it sounds impossible.

    I'm not familiar with "jasmine" rice, but 100 grams of various types
    of cooked rice listed in the USDA database range from about 21 to
    30 grams carb. I'm very sure there could be no miracle rice at only
    2 grams (that's lower than the carb count for 100g of most low-carb
    cooked vegetables) -- and if there were, it could not possibly taste
    like rice.

    It's a misprinted label missing a digit -- it was clearly supposed
    to read twenty-something grams carb per 110 grams cooked.

    --
    jamie ([email hidden])

    "There's a seeker born every minute."

  7. what false

    Quoted message said:

    labeling.

    Until the FDA takes a stand and defines what "low-carb" actually means, even
    double chocolate cake can be labeled as low-carb.
    It can't be called false when there is no legal definition for the term.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.