Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Low spoke count wheels = harsh ride?

Started by Clive George · · Last activity · 12 posts · 760 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 November 2006
Last activity
26 November 2006
Original author
Clive George
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
760
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with few
    spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with lots of
    spokes.

    How true is this?

    (I'm guessing with pneumatic tyres any effect will be lost in the noise)

    cheers,
    clive

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Clive George said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with
    few spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with
    lots of spokes.

    How true is this?

    It depends- if the spoke tension is low enough for the bottom spokes to
    go slack under load, that might be noticeable. But that's pretty
    unlikely.

    Quoted message said:

    (I'm guessing with pneumatic tyres any effect will be lost in the
    noise)

    That would be my thought as well.

  3. Clive George said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with few
    spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with lots of
    spokes.

    How true is this?

    (I'm guessing with pneumatic tyres any effect will be lost in the noise)

    You're guessing right. The flexibility of the rim isn't that much of
    an issue, anyway; the stiffness of the completed wheel assembly is
    considerably higher than the stiffness of the rim itself. IME, what's
    more important is the inflation pressure (and to a lesser extent, the
    size and construction) of the tire.

    For purposes of comparison, consider this:

    I have a Rev-X rim that was on the front of one of my bikes. When i
    got the bike, it had a 700c20 tire mounted; to describe the ride as
    "excessively vibratory" when that tire was inflated to max pressure
    would be glossing over it somewhat. If I ran over a cigarette butt, I
    could not only tell if it was plain or filtered, but whether this was
    the first time it had been compressed. Reducing the pressure slightly
    just resulted in pinch flats, although it did reduce the vibration
    transmission a bit. I swapped out to a 700c28 tire on the front (the
    rear was a 700c25 to begin with) that ran at a lower pressure, and the
    vibration level was reduced quite a bit. I then swapped to a 700c32,
    and got a fairly well damped ride. After months of nervously riding
    that expensive wheel, I pulled it off and installed a fairly light,
    old, non-aero 36-spoke wheel. Just for grins, I decided to try out
    the 700c20 tire that had come with the bike. The vibration level
    returned to what it had been; awful. I swapped to the 32, and it was
    back to being pleasant.

    I doubt that any of the low-count wheels is any stiffer than the
    Rev-X.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  4. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Clive George said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with
    few spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with
    lots of spokes.

    How true is this?

    It depends- if the spoke tension is low enough for the bottom spokes to
    go slack under load, that might be noticeable.

    But it wouldn't be noticeable for long. ;-)

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  5. Clive George said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with few
    spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with lots of
    spokes.

    How true is this?


    Beats me, but I can say that if the WHEEL flexed enough to absorb enough
    shock that you could sense the difference wheel to wheel, it'd be
    unridable for that flex. My guess is that all the difference you can
    sense in wheel harshness comes from tires.

    To me, this is variant on the 'harsh frame material' debate. People who
    seem to know their stuff have told me that if I were blindfolded, I
    couldn't tell the diff between Al, Steel and C frames - all other things
    being equal. I believe that.

    -paul

  6. Paul Cassel said:
    Quoted message said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with
    few spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with
    lots of spokes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How true is this?

    Quoted message said:

    Beats me, but I can say that if the WHEEL flexed enough to absorb
    enough shock that you could sense the difference wheel to wheel,
    it'd be unridable for that flex. My guess is that all the difference
    you can sense in wheel harshness comes from tires.

    Considering that spoke elasticity accounts for about 1/100 the radial
    (vertical) motion of the hub (in a 36 spoke wheel) with respect to the
    road and that differences among wheels varies as the number of spokes
    in the load affected zone, the person who can feel this would need to
    be able to feel a bump when riding over a sheet of copier paper
    (0.003"😉.

    Quoted message said:

    To me, this is variant on the 'harsh frame material' debate. People
    who seem to know their stuff have told me that if I were
    blindfolded, I couldn't tell the diff between Al, Steel and C frames
    - all other things being equal. I believe that.

    The reason riders may be able to distinguish ride comfort (vertical
    compliance) between one frame material and another, I believe, is from
    acoustic response. On the other hand, standing in a sprint, torsional
    differences are clearly evident. This can also be felt in pedaling
    elasticity when seated.

    Jobst Brandt

  7. On 24 Nov 2006 07:29:35 -0800, "Dirtroadie" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Now I will stand back as others argue that there is not enough flex in
    a built up wheel to allow a noticeable difference in ride.

    Perhaps more "point out" than "argue".

    I liked the full disclosure inclusions, BTW. I often joke about
    having a "reasonably well calibrated eyecrometer" myself.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  8. Chas the Omnipotent! said:

    ...
    You're WRONG! Completely and forever wrong! Nothing anywhere ever
    flexes, bends or moves. All solids are, well, SOLID! These are the
    learned opinions of many members of this newsgroup! ;-)

    NO! NO! NO!

    Modern bicycle components are "stiff, yet compliant". 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

  9. Jobst Brandt said:

    ...
    The reason riders may be able to distinguish ride comfort (vertical
    compliance) between one frame material and another, I believe, is from
    acoustic response....

    Jobst's hypothesis sounds plausible.

    --
    Tom "Pun Intended" Sherman - Post Free or Die!

  10. Thanks all for replies.

    cheers,
    clive

  11. We need a double-blind test. Anyone who survives riding down the road
    blindfolded with different sets of wheels can be asked after each ride to
    identify what sort of wheel was under them...

    "Clive George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with few
    spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with lots of
    spokes.

    How true is this?

    (I'm guessing with pneumatic tyres any effect will be lost in the noise)

  12. Quoted message said:
    Paul Cassel said:
    Quoted message said:

    As per subject. Elsewhere somebody is saying that a stiff rim with
    few spokes will give a harsher ride than a more flexible rim with
    lots of spokes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How true is this?

    Quoted message said:

    Beats me, but I can say that if the WHEEL flexed enough to absorb
    enough shock that you could sense the difference wheel to wheel,
    it'd be unridable for that flex. My guess is that all the difference
    you can sense in wheel harshness comes from tires.

    Considering that spoke elasticity accounts for about 1/100 the radial
    (vertical) motion of the hub (in a 36 spoke wheel) with respect to the
    road and that differences among wheels varies as the number of spokes
    in the load affected zone, the person who can feel this would need to
    be able to feel a bump when riding over a sheet of copier paper
    (0.003"😉.

    the usual jobstian herring that fails to acknowledge that to get that
    deflection, you have to apply ~100lbs load! anyone here fail to notice
    if 100lbs is applied to any part of their anatomy, however fleetingly?
    no? in which case, let's focus on reality - that we're talking about
    shock transmission, not static load deflection.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    To me, this is variant on the 'harsh frame material' debate. People
    who seem to know their stuff have told me that if I were
    blindfolded, I couldn't tell the diff between Al, Steel and C frames
    - all other things being equal. I believe that.

    The reason riders may be able to distinguish ride comfort (vertical
    compliance) between one frame material and another, I believe, is from
    acoustic response. On the other hand, standing in a sprint, torsional
    differences are clearly evident. This can also be felt in pedaling
    elasticity when seated.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.