Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

LX Casset and XTR Chain compatibility

Started by spdr · · Last activity · 14 posts · 565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 October 2005
Last activity
2 October 2005
Original author
spdr
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
565
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. hey Guys,

    I've just installed a new derailer with a chain and rear casset and now
    every time I ride the chain will skip and I can't ride it, if I put any
    load under the pedals at all it just doesnt work. I bought it all off
    ebay and fitted it myself. The gears are all lined up and under light
    load can work a treat switching between them all, but I think there
    might be some compatibilty between the parts I've bought? The model
    numbers are below, does anyone know if they will work or not work?
    should they work?

    XTR RD-M952 XTR Rear Derailleur Long Cage only
    XTR CN-7701
    LX 9-speed Cassette (CS-M580)

    Thanks

  2. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:

    hey Guys,

    I've just installed a new derailer with a chain and rear casset and now
    every time I ride the chain will skip and I can't ride it, if I put any
    load under the pedals at all it just doesnt work. I bought it all off
    ebay and fitted it myself. The gears are all lined up and under light
    load can work a treat switching between them all, but I think there
    might be some compatibilty between the parts I've bought? The model
    numbers are below, does anyone know if they will work or not work?
    should they work?

    XTR RD-M952 XTR Rear Derailleur Long Cage only
    XTR CN-7701
    LX 9-speed Cassette (CS-M580)

    Thanks


    Absolutly no problem ;-)

  3. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:

    hey Guys,

    I've just installed a new derailer with a chain and rear casset and now
    every time I ride the chain will skip and I can't ride it, if I put any
    load under the pedals at all it just doesnt work. I bought it all off
    ebay and fitted it myself. The gears are all lined up and under light
    load can work a treat switching between them all, but I think there
    might be some compatibilty between the parts I've bought? The model
    numbers are below, does anyone know if they will work or not work?
    should they work?

    XTR RD-M952 XTR Rear Derailleur Long Cage only
    XTR CN-7701
    LX 9-speed Cassette (CS-M580)

    Thanks


    No problem the parts are kompatible, the parts are all new?
    A used cassette and a new chain are maybe the fault or a
    to long chain. It happens on all chainrings? When the other
    parts are new and you got a worn chainring it could be happen
    too.

  4. Thats Volker - thats a relief!

    My next theory on the skipping is that it comes from the derailer which
    has something wrong with the chain tensioning function on it? Is there
    a way to wind up the tension so it holds it tighter? I took links out
    and out and now my chain is definately too short, but it still does the
    same thing, skips under load.

    Thanks Again.
    Scott C

  5. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:

    Thats Volker - thats a relief!

    My next theory on the skipping is that it comes from the derailer which
    has something wrong with the chain tensioning function on it? Is there
    a way to wind up the tension so it holds it tighter? I took links out
    and out and now my chain is definately too short, but it still does the
    same thing, skips under load.

    Thanks Again.
    Scott C


    You can adjust B-Tension spring, this is the spring at the derailleur
    hanger bolt, it adjust the distance of the upper pulley to follow the
    sprockets.
    The chaintensioner arm has only to tension and adjust the chain if
    if you shift at the front derailleur, to keep the chain tensioned
    at all ring sizes.

  6. yer parts are all brand spankin new

    middle and big front chain ring are worn, but the small one is not and
    sit still skips.

    on the rear it skips less on the granny gear, but I think thats due to
    the fact that the drive train i under less load. If i get the cadence
    up and really try to accelerate it still skips like [censored].

  7. how do I know when that is tensioned right?

    are there any cool little tricks?

  8. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:

    Thats Volker - thats a relief!

    My next theory on the skipping is that it comes from the derailer which
    has something wrong with the chain tensioning function on it? Is there
    a way to wind up the tension so it holds it tighter? I took links out
    and out and now my chain is definately too short, but it still does the
    same thing, skips under load.

    Thanks Again.
    Scott C


    If you have an "old" cassette with a new chain, it will skipp most on
    the smaler sprockets, if you have "new" cassette and a "old" chain, it
    will skipp at all sprockets.
    If you have new cassette and chain, but "old" worn chainrings, it
    will skip too, check it at all rings, when it skip only at the
    middle ring for example, then the chainring is the problem,
    if it happen at all rings the rings are okay.
    A to long chain has maybe the same effect, but not a to short chain.
    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

  9. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:

    how do I know when that is tensioned right?

    are there any cool little tricks?


    You can't realy adjust the tension of your chain when the
    lengh is correct and the B-Tension spring is to adjust only
    the distance from upper pulley to sprocket for correct shifting
    but the chain lengh is important.


  10. Quoted message said:

    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

    Thanks for the advice Volker.

    I'm fairly mechanically minded so I am confident all the
    troubleshooting I've done so far points to the rear casset and the
    chain or something to do with either of them, chain tension or hub
    fitting.

    Ive got a deore hub on there that's about 6 months old, but I've given
    a bit of a beeting. I've got a brande new lx casset on there with the
    new chain (specs in previous post). So is that what your talking about
    above about they could be slipping? It seemed to slide on ok onto the
    keyed slots. Is there anything to look for?

  11. spdr said:


    Quoted message said:

    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

    Thanks for the advice Volker.

    I'm fairly mechanically minded so I am confident all the
    troubleshooting I've done so far points to the rear casset and the
    chain or something to do with either of them, chain tension or hub
    fitting.

    Ive got a deore hub on there that's about 6 months old, but I've given
    a bit of a beeting. I've got a brande new lx casset on there with the
    new chain (specs in previous post). So is that what your talking about
    above about they could be slipping? It seemed to slide on ok onto the
    keyed slots. Is there anything to look for?

    Free hub pawls skipping??

  12. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

    Thanks for the advice Volker.

    I'm fairly mechanically minded so I am confident all the
    troubleshooting I've done so far points to the rear casset and the
    chain or something to do with either of them, chain tension or hub
    fitting.

    Ive got a deore hub on there that's about 6 months old, but I've given
    a bit of a beeting. I've got a brande new lx casset on there with the
    new chain (specs in previous post). So is that what your talking about
    above about they could be slipping? It seemed to slide on ok onto the
    keyed slots. Is there anything to look for?


    You controlled the adjustment of the rear derailleur at all? When you
    shift up and down take care that the upper pulley allways stay in line
    with the sprocket above them.
    I do this adjustments at first without chain and cable, the two screws
    marked with High and Low, the screws limit the movement up and down,
    if the derailleur at lowest position the upper pulley should be
    in line with the smalest sprocket above them vice versa at the highest
    position should be in line with the largest.
    sprocket.http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/RD/SI-RD-M530_v2_m56577569830563514.pdf

  13. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

    Thanks for the advice Volker.

    I'm fairly mechanically minded so I am confident all the
    troubleshooting I've done so far points to the rear casset and the
    chain or something to do with either of them, chain tension or hub
    fitting.

    Ive got a deore hub on there that's about 6 months old, but I've given
    a bit of a beeting. I've got a brande new lx casset on there with the
    new chain (specs in previous post). So is that what your talking about
    above about they could be slipping? It seemed to slide on ok onto the
    keyed slots. Is there anything to look for?


    You controlled the adjustment of the rear derailleur at all? When you
    shift up and down take care that the upper pulley allways stay in line
    with the sprocket above them.
    I do this adjustments at first without chain and cable, the two screws
    marked with High and Low, the screws limit the movement up and down,
    if the derailleur at lowest position the upper pulley should be
    in line with the smalest sprocket above them vice versa at the highest
    position should be in line with the largest.
    sprocket.
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/RD/SI-RD-M530_v2_m56577569830563514.pdf

  14. spdr schrieb:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    An other thing is sometimes defect freewheelbodys on shimano rear hubs,
    a very common defect on Deore hubs, sometimes on new hubs it has the
    same effect, when all other things are new and perfect adjusted.
    Check all possibilitys systematically.

    Thanks for the advice Volker.

    I'm fairly mechanically minded so I am confident all the
    troubleshooting I've done so far points to the rear casset and the
    chain or something to do with either of them, chain tension or hub
    fitting.

    Ive got a deore hub on there that's about 6 months old, but I've given
    a bit of a beeting. I've got a brande new lx casset on there with the
    new chain (specs in previous post). So is that what your talking about
    above about they could be slipping? It seemed to slide on ok onto the
    keyed slots. Is there anything to look for?


    If everything is perfect and still skipping, it's maybe the freewheel
    body and should be replaced.
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/RearDriveSystem/SI-6LERA_v2_m56577569830563526.pdf

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.