Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Lycra in the Gallery

Started by HughMann · · Last activity · 29 posts · 2,262 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
17 November 2005
Last activity
23 November 2005
Original author
HughMann
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There was Lycra in the Public Gallery at Tuesday nights meeting of Townsville City Council.

    Townsville Bulletin 17 Nov 05

    Bike riders fed up with battling for their lives on northern roads are demanding facility upgrades to get them away from bullying Townsville drivers.

    Header

    Story

    Editorial

    Perhaps a couple of words like C....... M... might push our city fathers into action.
    Only problem is that what passes for "normal" driving here would be viewed as extreme action if similar tactics were tried by cyclists down south. The road rules up here are very short, "Fark U Jack I'm OK " "Bullying" drivers is an understatement.

    cheers
    Hugh

    P.S. Hope u are all enjoying paying $20 ++ for a tray of 3rd grade mangoes. "Bowen Special " tree down the back has had a huge crop and I have been eating half a bucket full a day.
    Yellow Jersey ? Nah mate - Mangoes ....brfffft

  2. HughMann said:

    Perhaps a couple of words like C....... M... might push our city fathers into action.

    Careful lad, that'll set them off. Or maybe they don't know what one is, yet? 😄 😄 BTW, are you on the Bike-QLD list? That troublemaker Donga is still floating around on a.b ...
    http://www.bikeqld.org.au/

  3. HughMann wrote:

    There was Lycra in the Public Gallery at Tuesday nights meeting of Townsville City Council.

    Bike riders fed up with battling for their lives on northern roads are demanding facility upgrades to get them away from bullying Townsville drivers.

    I don't necessarily want to get away from the bullying drivers - I just want them to respect me and this takes education which doesn't cost nearly as much as infrastructure.

    Only problem is that what passes for "normal" driving here would be viewed as extreme action if similar tactics were tried by cyclists down south. The road rules up here are very short, "Fark U Jack I'm OK " "Bullying" drivers is an understatement.

    It's Queensland - 'The Smart State'. That makes me laugh. I hope you don't think it's any better in Brisbane.

    P.S. Hope u are all enjoying paying $20 ++ for a tray of 3rd grade mangoes. "Bowen Special " tree down the back has had a huge crop and I have been eating half a bucket full a day.

    Feel free to send some my way. And stop being a pr!ck!

    Lotte

  4. LotteBum said:


    I don't necessarily want to get away from the bullying drivers - I just want them to respect me and this takes education which doesn't cost nearly as much as infrastructure.

    Agree, but the yokels here are so thick education is impossible. Constant yarping on radio and in paper abt bikes dont pay rego - god that boring but they insist that its an issue and I couldnt be bothered putting them in the picture. Whats that saying abt arguing with an idiot.

    LotteBum said:


    It's Queensland - 'The Smart State'. That makes me laugh. I hope you don't think it's any better in Brisbane.

    I know from your posts here and from the other Brisvagas ppl that its not good riding there sometimes. You have more cars and higher speed traffic as well. Lotte with the shotty

    .

    P.S. Hope u are all enjoying paying $20 ++ for a tray of 3rd grade mangoes. "Bowen Special " tree down the back has had a huge crop and I have been eating half a bucket full a day

    Feel free to send some my way. And stop being a pr!ck!
    Lotte[/QUOTE].

    You will have to come here and eat them. Never sending mangoes south again. Last year put 2 boxes on 0900 Quaintarse flight. It was hot, and up here they have problems taking off fully loaded so they unload the freight. But, they leave it sitting in the sun all day and they turned up late that night in Melbourne "stewed"

    On a positive note I had a great 40k ride tonight, nice 10kmh sea breeze so not too hot and moon rising over Cleverland Bay and Magnetic Island. Twas the stuff that those romantic movies are made of.

    Keep smiling
    Hugh

  5. HughMann said:

    Agree, but the yokels here are so thick education is impossible. Constant yarping on radio and in paper abt bikes dont pay rego - god that boring but they insist that its an issue and I couldnt be bothered putting them in the picture. Whats that saying abt arguing with an idiot.

    Fug it then, go for the 50 cal*

    *this is so if you don't hear from moi for at, least a fortnight...

  6. Hughmann wrote:

    Agree, but the yokels here are so thick education is impossible. Constant yarping on radio and in paper abt bikes dont pay rego - god that boring but they insist that its an issue and I couldnt be bothered putting them in the picture. Whats that saying abt arguing with an idiot.

    I know what you're saying. Lots of those d!ckwads all over the country, but I do think we're left with a large proportion of them.

    I know from your posts here and from the other Brisvagas ppl that its not good riding there sometimes. You have more cars and higher speed traffic as well. Lotte with the shotty

    Yeah, 13km of my ride to work is in a 100km/h zone.

    You will have to come here and eat them. Never sending mangoes south again. Last year put 2 boxes on 0900 Quaintarse flight. It was hot, and up here they have problems taking off fully loaded so they unload the freight. But, they leave it sitting in the sun all day and they turned up late that night in Melbourne "stewed"

    What a bunch of fools! I'm not surprised though...

    When you say Bowen mangoes do you mean Kensington Pride? Abby has one of those trees in his back yard and I have his address (midnight tree raid in Abby's back yard is on the cards).

    On a positive note I had a great 40k ride tonight, nice 10kmh sea breeze so not too hot and moon rising over Cleverland Bay and Magnetic Island. Twas the stuff that those romantic movies are made of.

    Far out, that sounds too good to be true. Must be getting hot up there because it sure is here. Rode 45km this morning (part of it with Retro and Abby) and had my first (really) cold shower of the year when I got to work. It's getting hot already and my handlebar tape smells gross which doesn't help when I wipe the sweat off my face.

    Ciao!
    LotteBum

  7. [quote="LotteBum"]
    When you say Bowen mangoes do you mean Kensington Pride? Abby has one of those trees in his back yard and I have his address (midnight tree raid in Abby's back yard is on the cards).

    Arrrrh not real sure. What I know as the " Bowen Special" has a slight crease from end to end like a peach and has a very slight bump on the bottom , its not perfectly shaped like the R2E2 or the newer varieties. No string in the flesh, just a bit on the seed. Have planted a Nam Doc Mai variety here, it only grows to 5 metres tall and is beautiful flesh and smell.

    Must be getting hot up there because it sure is here. Rode 45km this morning (part of it with Retro and Abby) and had my first (really) cold shower of the year when I got to work. It's getting hot already and my handlebar tape smells gross which doesn't help when I wipe the sweat off my face.

    It is getting hot and humid. I ride at night except for Sundays with the "bunch". 75k total ride out to Ross River Dam was total of 3 x 1 litre bottles.

    Try white vinegar on the handlebar tape. Test a small patch first is the standard disclaimer isnt it?

    I have the same prob with gloves. Wash them by hand, rinse in water, squeeze dry and then dunk in a little white vinegar, hang in the shade to dry. Doesnt matter that my hands smell like salad dressing - at least I dont have to walk around with arms my out straight to keep the gloves away from my nose - peeeyewwwwww

    Cheers
    Hugh

  8. Hughmann wrote:

    Arrrrh not real sure. What I know as the "Bowen Special" has a slight crease from end to end like a peach and has a very slight bump on the bottom , its not perfectly shaped like the R2E2 or the newer varieties. No string in the flesh, just a bit on the seed. Have planted a Nam Doc Mai variety here, it only grows to 5 metres tall and is beautiful flesh and smell.

    I noticed the other night at Coles that Mangoes (not sure what type) are $3.85 each at the moment. Does that make you feel like a rich man?

    It is getting hot and humid. I ride at night except for Sundays with the "bunch". 75k total ride out to Ross River Dam was total of 3 x 1 litre bottles.

    My mum has Ross River Fever but hasn't even seen it! Score. I find myself sweating like a goat at the moment - the backpack with all my work sh!t in it doesn't help much either.

    Try white vinegar on the handlebar tape. Test a small patch first is the standard disclaimer isnt it?

    I'll do that! It seems to eliminate stench from my washing - should have thought of it earlier! Do you just dilute it with water and apply it, then rinse?? I've got some handlebar tape at home, but it's all about pulling my finger out of my @rse I guess.

    I have the same prob with gloves. Wash them by hand, rinse in water, squeeze dry and then dunk in a little white vinegar, hang in the shade to dry. Doesnt matter that my hands smell like salad dressing - at least I dont have to walk around with arms my out straight to keep the gloves away from my nose - peeeyewwwwww

    Hahaha! The worst part about it for me is that I have to get in a left full of corporate suity types...eugh! Actually, maybe that's the best bit about it. I hope I offend them.

    Ciao!

    Lotte

  9. LotteBum said:

    Hughmann wrote:


    BIG SNIP

    Quoted message said:


    Ciao!

    Lotte

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    DaveB

  10. DaveB wrote:

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    I use Cycling Forums - quoted text is blue, mine is black. How do you otherwise quote?

    Cheers,
    Lotte

  11. LotteBum said:

    DaveB wrote:

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    I use Cycling Forums - quoted text is blue, mine is black. How do you
    otherwise quote?

    Cheers,
    Lotte

    Everybody else has quotes with > in front of them so makes it easy to
    view through a text news reader. Can a cyclingforums user explain how
    that comes about??

    DaveB

  12. LotteBum said:

    DaveB wrote:

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    I use Cycling Forums - quoted text is blue, mine is black. How do you otherwise quote?

    Cheers,
    Lotte

    Cycling Forums seems to have a few bugs with the Usenet gateway.
    On Cycling Forums, quoted text is marked with a
    "left square bracket"QUOTE=name"right square bracket"
    then finished with a
    "left square bracket"/QUOTE"right square bracket".
    Usenet indicates quoted text by indenting it with a ">".
    If leave *two* blank lines after the /QUOTE, then the posting
    looks correct in Cycling Forums and on Usenet. If you leave only
    one blank line, then the new text ends up mixed with the quoted
    text on Usenet.

    I read aus.bicycle using both a Usenet reader and also
    Cycling Forums, so I've played around until my postings appear
    correct on both.

    I agree that Lotte's posting are often really confusing.
    Sometimes you think her postings are content free, or
    she is talking to herself :-)

    So for Cycling Forums users, remember to put two blank lines after
    the /QUOTE.

    End of netiquette lesson.
    Now we'll see if I managed to get this posting to look correct :-)

  13. DaveB said:
    LotteBum said:

    Hughmann wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    No, you're not confused. We all are. I don't reply to Lotte because I never
    know which is her text and which is the previous poster's. I've pointed this
    out to her before but she appears to think it is the problem of the reader
    not of the writer. <shrug>.

    Theo

  14. ghostgum said:

    End of netiquette lesson.
    Now we'll see if I managed to get this posting to look correct :-)


    How's that?

    ghostgum said:

    I agree that Lotte's posting are often really confusing.
    Sometimes you think her postings are content free, or
    she is talking to herself :-)


    Sorry about that guys - why didn't someone tell me earlier instead of leaving me to look like a d!ckwad for so long!

    LotteBum

  15. Theo Bekkers said:

    No, you're not confused. We all are. I don't reply to Lotte because I never
    know which is her text and which is the previous poster's. I've pointed this
    out to her before but she appears to think it is the problem of the reader
    not of the writer. <shrug>.

    That's an attitude that I find utterly reprehensible. (Please note: this
    comment, and the following rant, is not directed at Lotte per se. It's a
    culmination of years of frustrations, caused by the seeming indifference
    of people towards making themselves understood, and is a general rant
    about the state of affairs prevailing upon the Intenet. If you, yes you,
    the individual sitting at the terminal reading this text, think it's
    directed at you personally, you're wrong. And you probably should invest
    in a few good lessons on English grammar if you're so touchy about it. 😉

    There seems to be a general prevailing attitude of "it's good enough,
    you know what you're saying, so why are you so up tight about it?" I'm a
    busy guy (although you might not know it if you look at my accumulated
    postings ... 🙂 I don't have time to decipher poor punctuation, bad
    spelling, or SMSisms. If your post contains one of those three, odds are
    good I'll skip it and go to the next one. If it contains two, the odds
    become excellent. If it contains all three, I can guarantee you I won't
    bother.

    You are but one person. The people reading what you write will be many.
    Hundreds? Thousands? I don't know. Clear, concise writing that can be
    comprehended without needing google, an internal spell checker, or
    careful interpretation will save, cumulatively, hours of man hours.

    I accept that typos happen; I tend to not quibble about one or two
    misteaks. It's when the whole damn post is filled with misspellings, or
    errant punctuation, or SMSisms (I *hate* reading "ur" for "your" -- it's
    two freaking characters, for crying out loud; the former reads like some
    sort of verbal pause!) that I start looking around for my axe (far more
    viscerally satisfying than a shotgun.)

    The same sort of thing applies for quotation. Remember that cycleforums
    is a Usenet gateway, and it can be next to impossible to tell who said
    what if you aren't careful about quoting. Although I'll grant that (a) I
    don't know what cycleforums does; and (b) I don't know how easy/hard it
    makes it to do proper quoting once the post hits the NNTP server.

    Rant mode off.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  16. Stuart Lamble said:

    Theo Bekkers wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've pointed this out to her before but she appears to think it is
    the problem of the reader not of the writer. <shrug>.

    Quoted message said:

    That's an attitude that I find utterly reprehensible.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have time to decipher poor
    punctuation, bad spelling, or SMSisms. If your post contains one of
    those three, odds are good I'll skip it and go to the next one. If it
    contains two, the odds become excellent. If it contains all three, I
    can guarantee you I won't bother.

    Bravo. <enthusiastic clapping>

    Quoted message said:

    I accept that typos happen; I tend to not quibble about one or two
    misteaks.

    Nice touch. I do have a suspicion I've read this before though. Didn't
    borrow it, did you? :-)

    Theo

  17. LotteBum said:
    ghostgum said:

    End of netiquette lesson.
    Now we'll see if I managed to get this posting to look correct :-)

    How's that?

    ghostgum said:

    I agree that Lotte's posting are often really confusing.
    Sometimes you think her postings are content free, or
    she is talking to herself :-)

    Sorry about that guys - why didn't someone tell me earlier instead of
    leaving me to look like a d!ckwad for so long!

    LotteBum

    I'm sure it hasn't always been like that, if it was I would have
    mentioned it long ago. I think your posts have only been like that for
    the past weeks, or maybe I just never noticed before. But they really
    did make for some bizarre reading.

    DaveB "glad thats all sorted"

  18. LotteBum said:
    ghostgum said:

    End of netiquette lesson.


    Now we'll see if I managed to get this posting to look correct :-)
    How's that?

    ghostgum said:

    I agree that Lotte's posting are often really confusing.
    Sometimes you think her postings are content free, or
    she is talking to herself :-)


    Sorry about that guys - why didn't someone tell me earlier instead of
    leaving me to look like a d!ckwad for so long!

    Cool. Can you put in an extra return for separation.

    Theo

  19. LotteBum said:

    DaveB wrote:

    So confused. Is it just my news reader or are Lotte's posts looking
    quite schizophrenic with no indication of what is quoted text and what
    is new?

    I use Cycling Forums - quoted text is blue, mine is black. How do you
    otherwise quote?

    Then it is obviously something the brain dead operator at Cycling Forum
    need to fix. Because USENET is text. No colour, no brackgrounds, no
    fonts, no animated fscking gifs, etc, etc,

    Just text.

  20. Theo Bekkers said:

    Cool. Can you put in an extra return for separation.

    Like this?

    Lotte

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.