When I opened the bag last night I got a pleasant surprise... the
'fishy' smell had dissipated in the fridge overnight and it didn't
smell bad at all. It was actually two and a half pounds, in the form
of two HUGE fillets with the skin still on and the backbone pulled
out. No smell, no slime and nothing to indicate that the fish had been
maltreated in any way. I rinsed the fillets and sliced them and then I
put one into the freezer for frying at a later date, and I baked the
other one on a bed of tomato, onion, red pepper and celery, with lots
of lemon juice. I would have liked white wine but DH hasn't fallen off
the wagon in fourteen years, so booze is out.
When it was baked I had a tiny piece to taste (good stuff) and I gave
a little more to the cats for a special treat. We'll reheat the
fillets tonight for dinner and it should be a nice change.
I also told DH that if he ever gets the urge to buy raw fish again, to
only get ONE fillet or ONE pound, whichever is the smaller quantity.
There are only two of us and he won't eat fishcakes or fish with rice
so there isn't anything to do with leftovers!