Mail order problem, do I have any options?

remogaz

Aug 19, 2007
Hi, first post, been observing mostly but this problem has encouraged me to post.

I recently ordered a bike from a online retailer, but after waiting far too long for it to dispatch plus being unimpressed with communication, I send an email this morning at 9am saying I would like to cancel my order, I was still within the 7 working day regulation period, but at 3.10 pm today (GMT) I get an email to say that the bike has been dispatched with next day delivery, I thought this was dodgy, as I know it costs £25 extra for this, deliveries are meant to be via Parcelforce. Of course, they could have done this due to my enquiries about the bike not being dispatched within 48 hours, like advertised. Or, they have done this because I have emailed to cancel this morning.
What makes me even more suspicious is, that they will charge me £50 if I want to return the bike, as they phoned up to tell me not 25 minutes after I received the dispatch notification.

Do I have any rights in this situation? Or must I like it or lump it.

This sounds like something you might want to take up with your attorney. Any UK Barristers reading this?

I had a situation getting my Raleigh last winter, but the delay was caused by two blizzards that struck Colorado when my bike was supposed to ship. Fortunately communicating with the seller was very easy and they did all that could be reasonably expected to ensure that the shipment was indeed taking place. They even inquired if I had received it shortly after it arrived. It was only 14 days later than expected, but it was no ones fault except for Mother Nature's.

Did you make the purchase with a credit card? If so, notify the credit card company a merchant charged you for an item you haven't received. After a reasonable amount of time you should be able to pursue a claim with the credit card company to receive your money back after they investigate what happened with the seller and/or shipper.

Yup, I think that working through your credit card company is your best bet.

Let us know what happens. And, if you think it is ok, who the mail order firm was (is) - as a public service announcement to other users on the forum!