Male cyclists and osteoporosis

cuocciom

Jan 13, 2006
I've recently been diagnosed with mild spinal osteoporosis. I had read some articles last year about middle aged male cyclists with bone density problems, and I requested a bone density test during my last physical. I was a bit shocked when I received the news, but I'm glad I found out now rather than later. I'm a male 56 - almost 57 - year old rider/racer. I ride pretty exclusively (no running the past two years) and I weight train 3-5 months a year. I have avoided loading my spine with squats or overhead presses because I have pre-existing back problems, so I generally stick to leg presses and seated upper body exercises. Now I have to make some changes.
I'd be interested in hearing from others - male or female - that have encountered this problem. I also want to urge other cyclists of both genders over the age of forty to get a bone density scan. I am asympomatic at present. I haven't fractured anything, so I imagine there are other cyclists with undiagnosed bone density issues.

Cycling doesn't cause weak bones. However, it is not a weight bearing exercise so it will not protect you against developing osteoporosis if you are susceptible.