Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Manitou Six Failures

Started by Jsntg · · Last activity · 23 posts · 3,991 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
7 September 2003
Last activity
7 September 2003
Original author
Jsntg
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,991
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "JSNTG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just started posting here and your group seems informed and generally polite.

    You haven't been redressed by JD yet ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Looking hard at Marzocchi. Will see what the guys at the LBS carry and


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I can demo. Amazing how expensive these puppies are. Even the best ones


    look

    Quoted message said:

    like they have less than a bean in material costs. If as Bill suggests,


    they

    Quoted message said:

    all break, where are all the beans going? R&D? Middle man? Palermo?

    Profit, marketing, R & D, middle man - all that and more. I'll bet production cost on a high-end
    fork is under $25, with retail at $450+ (Just my guess..) I have no idea how many forks are made
    each year, or what level of technology is required for production. CNC is very likely. 50,000 lb
    hydraulic presses? Robotic assembly? I don't know.

    Quoted message said:

    And is there a Timex equivalent - will last forever but is not going to


    win

    Quoted message said:

    any performance awards?

    A Marzocchi Bomber is probably what you want. They're heavy (4.5 lbs), bombproof and relatively
    inexpensive (for a coil-sprung, oil-damped fork). Any fork can break when you "go big," but it
    rarely happens with Marzocchi forks. They're damned beefy; but I've seen photos of the newer
    M-shaped brake arches snapped in half. The older arches were probably better. Hard to say.

    If your shop will trade you up to a Bomber for free or cheap, go for it. Your pucker factor will
    drop, and you'll get a plush fork that is North Shore approved for extreme duty. Make sure they
    install the correct spring for your weight range. My 2003 Marzocchi Bomber MXR has a spring that's
    too light, and it bobs all over the place; but it is ultra plush through the entire travel range.
    You will notice the difference.

    (I've heard rumors about cigars and cognac being sent by a certain Canadian as part of initiation
    into "The Bomberhood;" but I still haven't seen anything in the mail since I got my Bomber-equipped
    Klein Attitude last spring. ;-)

    -=Barry=-

  2. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C37585.AACA7140 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    "JSNTG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message = "]news:[email hidden]... I purchased a
    Gary Fisher Marlin recently which came with the Manitou = Six front shock. Bike had great reviews
    with the exception of the shock. = Apparently, there is tendency for the cast aluminum arch to
    break on the = right side.

    Reports of a dozen or so breaks here:
    =
    mtbreview.comproduct 121936.shtml This shock has a history of
    problems: answerproducts.comsafetynotice.htm
    cpsc.gov02236.html

    I'm wondering, should I be concerned? I'm a big guy and plan on riding = trails where there are
    2'-3' drops. After reading about all these = breaks, I now have confidence issues just
    commuting.=20

    I'm going to back to the LBS where the bike was purchased and relay my = concerns. I'm hoping they
    will sympathize and offer to change out the = shock for one of equal or greater worth. I don't
    mind ponying up for the = difference if it turns out to be an upgrade. Which begs the question: =
    What's a good entry level shock I can use with confidence?=20

    The Marzocchi MX Comp ETA has gotten stellar reviews=20
    =
    mountainbikereview.comproduct 122114.sh= tml and seems to be a
    great bang for the bean. But it's hard to find = (possibly due to all those giddy testimonials).
    Their Dirt Jumper III = and MX Comp also come highly rated. Do users of these springs concur?

    Hugh in Tallahappy

    Just Say NO! To Gravity

    .=20

    (Sorry to all about the HTML / Plain Text thing, don't know how to = alter, so here goes.....)

    Hugh, I bought a GT XTR SCS1000, second hand about a year ago. The original = forks had been
    removed and replaced with the Manitou Six. Not a great = idea but hey, I got a =A34000 bike for
    =A3800. I've ridden lots of = standard XC with no problems and several downhills during the year.
    I = note that you're in USAland so this probably won't mean much but theride = I took it on was
    down Snowdon, highest mountain in England / Wales. At = the time I'd never done quite such a
    technical descent. It took me = probably about a quarter of the ride to work out how to do it
    properly, =
    i.e. don't brake, especially the front, on drops. During this learning = curve, I came off three
    times, putting a great deal off stress on the = forks. Once I worked out what was going on I
    just flew the rest of the = way down, great fun. Since then, as I say, I've carried out several
    of = these more technical, challenging and punishing trails. The bike and = forks appear to
    have taken it in their stride. No doubt, as with all = things there are good and bad. I weigh
    around 195lbs, 6'1" (very important, that inch ;-), and to = celebrate, we're hitting Snowdon
    to celebrate a years fun ownership in = early October.

    Sorry, in summary, I have no problems with this fork, but then, I'm = not an expert and know no
    better, but I do really test it by taking most = amateur falls putting most unusual stresses on
    the bike/forks!....my = son, however, insists on Marzocchi Bombers but then he does dirt
    jumping = too ;-)

    HTH,

    Dave Gravity - I fought the law and the law won, several times!! (doncha = just love
    plagerism ?!!?)

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C37585.AACA7140 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1126" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D"">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px;
    PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DV>"JSNTG" <<A = href=3D""][email hidden]">[email hidden]</A>>=20 wrote in
    message <A=20
    =
    href=3D""]news:[email hidden]">="]news:[email hidden]=
    a.com</A>...</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>I purchased a Gary = Fisher Marlin=20 recently
    which came with the Manitou Six front shock. Bike had great = reviews=20 with the
    exception of the shock. Apparently, there is tendency for the = cast=20 aluminum arch to
    break on the right side.<BR><BR>Reports of a dozen or = so=20 breaks=20
    =
    here:<BR>mtbreview.comproduct 12193=
    6.shtml<BR>This=20 shock has a history of=20
    =
    problems:<BR>answerproducts.comsafetynotice.htm<BR>www=www=
    .cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02236.html<BR><BR>I'm=20 wondering, should I be concerned? I'm a
    big guy and plan on riding = trails=20 where there are 2'-3' drops. After reading about all these
    breaks, I = now have=20 confidence issues just commuting. <BR><BR>I'm going to back to the LBS =
    where=20 the bike was purchased and relay my concerns. I'm hoping they will = sympathize=20 and
    offer to change out the shock for one of equal or greater worth. I = don't=20 mind ponying up for
    the difference if it turns out to be an upgrade. = Which=20 begs the question: What's a good entry
    level shock I can use with = confidence?=20 <BR><BR>The Marzocchi MX Comp ETA has gotten stellar
    reviews=20
    =
    <BR>mountainbikereview.comproduct 12211=
    7.shtml<BR>and=20 seems to be a great bang for the bean. But it's hard to find (possibly = due to=20
    all those giddy testimonials). Their Dirt Jumper III and MX Comp also = come=20 highly rated. Do
    users of these springs concur?<BR><BR>Hugh in=20 Tallahappy<BR><BR>Just Say NO! To
    Gravity</FONT><BR><BR>.</FONT> = </DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(Sorry to all about the HTML / Plain = Text thing,=20 don't
    know how to alter, so here goes.....)</FONT></DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVII>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hugh,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I bought a GT XTR SCS1000, second = hand about a=20 year ago.
    The original forks had been removed and replaced with the = Manitou=20 Six. Not a great
    idea but hey, I got a =A34000 bike for =A3800. = I've ridden=20 lots of standard XC
    with no problems and several downhills during the = year. I=20 note that you're in
    USAland so this probably won't mean much but = theride=20 I took it on was down Snowdon,
    highest mountain in England / Wales. At = the=20 time I'd never done quite such a
    technical descent. It took me = probably about=20 a quarter of the ride to work out how
    to do it properly, i.e. don't = brake,=20 especially the front, on drops. During this
    learning curve, I came off = three=20 times, putting a great deal off stress on the
    forks. Once I worked out = what=20 was going on I just flew the rest of the way down,
    great fun. Since = then, as I=20 say, I've carried out several of these more technical,
    challenging and =

    punishing trails. The bike and forks appear to have taken it in their = stride.=20 No doubt, as
    with all things there are good and bad.</FONT></DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I weigh around 195lbs, 6'1" (very = important, that=20 inch
    ;-), and to celebrate, we're hitting Snowdon to celebrate a years = fun=20 ownership in
    early October.</FONT></DIV>
    <DXI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sorry, in summary, I have no problems = with this=20 fork, but
    then, I'm not an expert and know no better, but I do really = test it=20 by taking most
    amateur falls putting most unusual stresses on the=20 bike/forks!....my son, however,
    insists on Marzocchi Bombers but then = he does=20 dirt jumping too ;-)</FONT></DIV>
    <DXIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HTH,</FONT></DIV>
    <DXV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dave</FONT></DIV>
    <DXVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gravity - I fought the law and the = law won,=20 several
    times!! (doncha just love plagerism ?!!?)</FONT></DIV>
    <DXVIII><FONT face=3DArial=20 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01C37585.AACA7140--

  3. "Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hugh, I bought a GT XTR SCS1000, second hand about a year ago. The original


    forks had been >removed and replaced with the Manitou Six..Not a great idea but hey, I got a
    £4000 bike for >£800. I've ridden lots of standard XC with no problems and several downhills
    during the year. I >note that you're in USAland so this probably won't mean much but theride I
    took it on was down

    Quoted message said:

    Snowdon, highest mountain in England / Wales. At the time I'd never done


    quite such a technical >descent. It took me probably about a quarter of the ride to work out how to
    do it properly, i.e. >don't brake, especially the front, on drops. During this learning curve, I
    came off three times,

    Quoted message said:

    putting a great deal off stress on the forks. Once I worked out what was


    going on I just flew the >rest of the way down, great fun. Since then, as I say, I've carried out
    several of these more >technical, challenging and punishing trails. The bike and forks appear to
    have taken it in their

    Quoted message said:

    stride. No doubt, as with all things there are good and bad. I weigh around 195lbs, 6'1" (very
    important, that inch ;-), and to


    celebrate, we're hitting >Snowdon to celebrate a years fun ownership in early October.

    Quoted message said:


    Sorry, in summary, I have no problems with this fork, but then, I'm not an


    expert and know no >better, but I do really test it by taking most amateur falls putting most
    unusual stresses on the >bike/forks!....my son, however, insists on Marzocchi Bombers but then he
    does dirt jumping >too ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    HTH,

    Dave Gravity - I fought the law and the law won, several times!! (doncha just


    love plagerism ?!!?)

    Dave, sorry about the original post format. My bad. Love the Clash version of 'Law' BTW.

    I know the hill that you speak of. Lived in London for awhile in the early eighties and did a
    footrace up in that area. Beautiful country! Actually spent some time in England mountain biking a
    couple years later - '85. There is a trail called 'Old Pilgrims Trail' and it snakes from England
    (Scotland maybe) down through Europe. I took it on and off from England to Yugoslavia. Parts of it
    were spectacular and filled with Kodak moments. Other parts were a bit treacherous. Having to
    hoist my bike + 40 pounds of muddy, over-stuffed panniers over all those fences definitely built
    up my traps.

    The mountain bike was a novelty then. Everywhere we went (I was with the 1st and last wife at that
    time), people marveled at our kits and those, fat tires and really low gears. Somewhere in Belgium
    we got caught up in a bicycle race. The finish was on top of a hill as was our destination, a
    campground. As we were spinning up the hill in low gear at a snails pace, the race leaders came
    running up from behind, sprinting with their sleek racing machines to the finish. Until that is,
    they caught up with us. At which point they stopped racing and started quizzing us about our bikes.
    This, a hundred meters from the finish line! It was only for a few seconds and I prolly encouraged
    them in bad French to keep moving, but it was odd. Later we were mobbed at the top of the hill.
    Ended up making some friends and having dinner with some of the local racers.

    Glad to hear the Six is working for you. I'm about to go put mine through another test.

    Cheers,

    Hugh in sunny Florida

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.