Roger Zoul said:Aaron Baugher wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> writes:
::
::: That seems to always be the underlying question for the really large
::: bed-ridden people: who enables them. They can't get out of bed, so
::: how is it they can manage to eat so much food to grow to such size?
::
:: My first thought would be that their glucagon system is broken, the
:: way insulin is in a Type I diabetic. They have to eat to stay alive,
:: and it'd be impossible to prevent *any* energy from being stored as
:: fat; but without glucagon, they can't ever take any fat back out of
:: the cells once it's been stored.
::
:: Makes sense to me, anyway.
But how'd this latest guy managed to lose 400 lbs? Did he somehow
get his glucagon system fixed?
I didn't watch the show, so I have no idea. I've wondered before why
the non-production of insulin is somewhat common yet you never hear
about the same thing with glucagon at all. I realize today's
high-carb diets are making things worse on the insulin side, but it
seems like there are a significant number of people who are Type I at
birth or soon after. If there's such an affliction on the glucagon
side, it's rare enough that I've never heard of it, or those babies
don't make it to birth. I assume it'd be hard (impossible?) to
survive without any, just as it is to survive without any insulin.
Anyway, it's just a thought; I'm not selling a book based on it or
anything. But I've wondered the same thing, because Robert Earl
Hughes, who held the record for heaviest man in the world for a couple
decades, lived about 15 miles from where I'm sitting now and was
somewhat related to my brother-in-law. At 1069 pounds, he was way
past the point where he could go out and get his own food. I think
they had to cut a hole in his house to get him out to bury him.
Was someone stuffing him with thousands of calories a day for his
entire life? (He only lived 32 years.) Did they ever try a
starvation diet, or any diet? I don't know.
And to head this off: I'm not trying to make excuses for people here,
either. But in these extreme cases, it wouldn't be surprising to find
out there was more going on than a lack of will-power.
--
Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz