General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Marathon Time Limit Question?

Started by Les · · Last activity · 24 posts · 653 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 October 2004
Last activity
16 October 2004
Original author
Les
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
653
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ozzie Gontang said:

    Cut off times are now somewhere between 6
    and 8 hours.

    For people interested in long cutoff times, the mayor's marathon has
    about an 8.5 hr cutoff (used to be 10, I thought). I think TNT accounts
    for about half or more the participants.

    http://www.mayorsmarathon.com/

    I don't think any of the Alaska marathons along the main road system
    (and probably not the others) have road closures. The Anchorage ones
    (this and Humpy's) follow bike paths, but may have a few road crossings.
    The Fairbanks one is about 2/3 trail / dirt road with some lightly
    travelled paved roads.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    susan said:

    The course (and finish line) remain open, but the support stations start to
    shut down somewhat and the roads are no longer totally closed to traffic. In
    this last marathon, May 2004, there were ~200 finishers over 6 hours, and of
    these ~50 were over 7 hours. The 1 hour early start for walkers/slowers is to
    try and get as many off the course at the earliest. 'Don't start with the
    walkers if you don't need to' is the gist of their wording on the early start;
    and I'm assuming it's meant to discourage faster runners from taking
    advantage... susan

    I'm a bit confused about how starting early is "taking advantage"
    unless, say, one of the 2:05 Marathoners goes out with the early group
    so no one can pace off of him. However, in that case there's an easy
    solution: make everyone who goes in the early group ineligible for
    awards.

    Maybe there's something else I'm missing about the advantage of starting
    early?

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  3. Janithor wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Tony said:

    I agree with you; it's not right that walkers interfere with the runners.
    lol one solution could be to sort all the people by weight, with the
    lightest people being able to start up front 🙂

    Were you fat as a kid? You seem to have an obsession with weight.


    Obsessed? Because I made a bad joke here about weight? Or because I said
    that fat thighs sometimes cause shorts to get bunched between the legs?
    (That's happened to me also). Sure I'd like to lose a few pounds before my
    marathon next month, but I'm not obsessed with my weight or anyone elses. I
    was never fat as a kid, though about 5 years ago I let my weight go up to
    slightly over 200 over the holidays. I'm now in the low 170's which I'm
    fine with. When I was in my best racing shape 18 years ago I weighed 165.

    I do think fat people should get more active and I think it's great that
    many people in general want to be more active and do things like walk
    marathons. But what Harold said about the walkers lining up near the front
    and causing problems is unfortunate if true. So I made a (bad) joke about
    how to separate the faster runners from the slow walkers...

    - Tony

  4. "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:beRbd.15$EL5.4@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    I hate to say this, but 6 hours is practically walking pace. That's 13:45
    min miles, and most normal-weight people can walk 15:00 min miles without
    'racewalking'.

    Just a side comment, but most normal-weight 6-ft tall adult males can
    probably walk 15:00 min miles without racewalking. Due to the very nature of
    the gait, height has a greater influence on stride length (and hence speed)
    than for running, and gender also has a slight influence independent of
    height.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.