Road Cycling · Public discussion

Marin County CA

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,128 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 March 2006
Last activity
7 April 2006
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,128
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Again, Claire, I'm not trying to be unduly critical, and I intend to
    ignore what my detractors say. I thought you needed some feedback on
    how you come across on here, to me at least. You really need to face
    the fact that religion has exactly nothing of relevance to offer to
    anyone, and that religion has caused much more harm to the world than
    good. (Ironically, perhaps, your own post makes this point.) While it
    is indeed challenging to realize that the universe is meaningless, it
    is even worse to believe in something really stupid like religion.
    Religion offers no meaningful code of moral conduct, and even if it
    did, by definition the various religions would be in conflict about
    what such a moral code would be and that would create more hatred and
    discontent than having no religious moral codes would create.
    Religions are for those people who are too timid to admit that the
    universe is meaningless and that everyone needs to discover his/her own
    moral code the hard way.

    Ah, some meat for the Great Ed Dolan!

    I have been an atheist since my teenage years, but I grew up immersed in the
    Catholic faith.

    Let us grant that everything you say is true. It is all irrelevant because
    man needs religion just he needs air to breath. It is part of what it means
    to be a human being. It goes with our species. Simply put, man cannot live
    without religion.

    Yes, you and I can, but we are an infinitesimal minority. What happens to
    societies which try to do away with religion? Something else much worse
    comes in to fill the vacuum. Communism in the Soviet Union was as much a
    religion as any other, but a very bad religion. No thank you. I will take my
    Roman Catholicism any old day over Communism.

    A very small number of men will be able to live without any faith, but it is
    not for the vast majority. It actually requires a lot of intellectual work
    to break free from religion. I think our brains are wired for religion. In
    other words, I believe it may be as much an instinct as is hunger or sex.

    Religion most likely came about in the evolution of our species because of
    the fear of death due to our consciousness. In earlier times death was a
    constant companion to man all of his days. You cannot live with the fear of
    death (and oblivion) hanging over you every second of your life. You would
    be reduced to a trembling mass of quivering flesh. Religion gives us what we
    need in order to live.

    I fear the Muslims more than I ever did the Communists. They are saturated
    with religion and this gives them the kind of strength that we have largely
    lost in the West.

    Abandon religion at your peril!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  2. Quoted message said:

    Again, Claire, I'm not trying to be unduly critical, and I intend to
    ignore what my detractors say. I thought you needed some feedback on
    how you come across on here, to me at least. You really need to face
    the fact that religion has exactly nothing of relevance to offer to
    anyone, and that religion has caused much more harm to the world than
    good. (Ironically, perhaps, your own post makes this point.) While it
    is indeed challenging to realize that the universe is meaningless, it
    is even worse to believe in something really stupid like religion.
    Religion offers no meaningful code of moral conduct, and even if it
    did, by definition the various religions would be in conflict about
    what such a moral code would be and that would create more hatred and
    discontent than having no religious moral codes would create.
    Religions are for those people who are too timid to admit that the
    universe is meaningless and that everyone needs to discover his/her own
    moral code the hard way.

    Again, you prove what a small, bitter and hateful person you are.

    Your brief against religion is nothing more than the cynicism of an ignorant
    teen. Perhaps hardened, ossified with age, but nothing we don't commonly find in
    ignorant youth. Nihilism as a statement of fashion and independence, just like
    all the other fashionable and independent thinkers.

    You live in a civil society shaped by its religious tradition, so much so that
    your judgment is based on the teaching of that religious tradition and you find
    it has fallen short of the goal it has set for itself, hence you consider it
    failed. The fact that you measure it by its own yardstick is enough.

    Your criticism of Claire is not only needless and inappropriate, it is
    intellectually inconsistent and reveals you as incompetent to "discover his/her
    own moral code the hard way." What is meaningless is you.

    Ron

  3. Edward Dolan said:


    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    No, Bill, he has his point. I mean really, to have people who are sincere
    and committed to various religious practices, attend an interfaith (not
    "faith-based"😉 retreat together. C'mon. This is completely out of
    fashion.

    Yeah, personally (and apparently unlike bcrowell,) I don't
    regard "faith" and "religion as strictly synonymous.
    Sure, faith can have a religious component, but I think it
    can also have spiritual, sociological, philosophical,
    political, and yes, even scientific components. Often, "faith"
    is all we have -- even in science. Except scientists prefer to
    use the word: "axioms" instead.

    Faith and religion are practically synonymous. Any other kind of faith is
    for liberal loonies like you. If you do not have any religion, then learn to
    live with despair like I do, you coward!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps instead of sitting in contemplative silence for much of the time,
    we
    should scream at each other. "Death to the infidel" has a good ring to
    it,
    don't you think?

    Please Claire, do not try to think on such matters. It is way beyond you.
    Instead, restrict yourself to telling us where you are going on your various
    mindless trips.

    Quoted message said:

    I kinda like "Death by Chocolate."

    Good comment Tom! I also like all your kinda's and your yeah's. It shows you
    are a man of the working class - as all good Vancouver dock workers should
    be.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And instead of reading each other's religious texts and
    engaging in "constructive dialog", I think burning each other's texts
    would
    be closer to what's in tune with today's world.

    Good thinking Claire! Why not read the Koran while you are at it though. Who
    knows, you may glean some enlightenment that is not in the Christian Bible.

    Quoted message said:

    It would be especially nice if Native American faiths are
    represented at this interfaith meditation retreat.
    Anyways it's always good when people get together and
    establish world-view common ground while celebrating
    diversity and establishing friendship.

    "Anyways it's always BAD when people get together and
    establish world-view common ground while celebrating
    diversity and establishing friendship." - Ed Dolan

    Try to get a brain someday why don't you Tom? Or better yet, go to Baghdad
    and see what those Muslim terrorists will do to you. Off with your head!
    There, now you don't need any brain at all.

    What a surprise. Crowell and Dolan nearly indistinguishable.

    Ron

  4. "Crowell and Dolan nearly indistinguishable."

    Yeah, baby! Isn't it just WONderful? I know you just love it! And
    you can look forward to each new day, knowing that there will be more
    Crowell/Dolan gems of wisdom for your much-needed edification.

  5. Ed Dolan wrote: "Simply put, man cannot live without religion..[.] I
    think our brains are wired for religion. In other words, I believe it
    may be as much an instinct as is hunger or sex..[.]Religion most likely
    came about in the evolution of our species because of
    the fear of death due to our consciousness."

    I respectfully disagree, Ed. I instead tend to agree with Professor
    Dennett of Tufts University who wrote, in his book "Breaking the Spell:
    Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", "Why do religions take over mens'
    minds? Because they can." In other words, because evolution tries out
    every combination and permutation of existence that can possibly exist.
    The fact that religion has survived in mens' minds is not necessarily
    adaptive for men; it might instead be adaptive for religion.

    He gives the example of the Lancet Fluke, asking, "Did you ever wonder
    why ants have the habit of crawling up to the top of a blade of grass
    and staying there? It's not adaptive behavior, because they're NOT
    looking for sunshine, or for food, or for a mate. It's because the
    Lancet Fluke, a parasitic worm, has invaded their brains and modified
    their brain proteins so as to force them to engage in this behavior.
    The Lancet Fluke needs to be ingested by a sheep and lodge in its
    intestinal tract as part of its reproductive cycle, so it needs to
    locate itself where this is likely to happen. The ant is just a
    vehicle to effectuate the propagation of the Lancet Fluke. The ant's
    behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with perpetuation of the ant's
    progeny, but instead with perpetuation of the Lancet Fluke's progeny.
    Religion has also taken on a life force of its own, and its
    perpetuation has nothing to do with perpetuation of the human race but
    instead only with the perpetuation of religion itself, and for its own
    sake.

  6. "Little Meow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Edward Dolan [email hidden] wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:
    [froups adjusted to where Ed is on topic]

    Quoted message said:


    I fear the Muslims more than I ever did the Communists. They are
    saturated
    with religion and this gives them the kind of strength that we have
    largely
    lost in the West.


    I fear Ed Dolan more than I ever did the Communists. He wants to do
    me personal harm:


    [...]

    How many times do I have to tell you that I don't give a good g.d. about
    you.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ed Dolan wrote: "Simply put, man cannot live without religion..[.] I
    think our brains are wired for religion. In other words, I believe it
    may be as much an instinct as is hunger or sex..[.]Religion most likely
    came about in the evolution of our species because of
    the fear of death due to our consciousness."

    I respectfully disagree, Ed. I instead tend to agree with Professor
    Dennett of Tufts University who wrote, in his book "Breaking the Spell:
    Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", "Why do religions take over mens'
    minds? Because they can." In other words, because evolution tries out
    every combination and permutation of existence that can possibly exist.
    The fact that religion has survived in mens' minds is not necessarily
    adaptive for men; it might instead be adaptive for religion.

    Nope, that is exactly backwards. Religion does not exist outside of men's
    minds nor what was adaptive to his survival.

    Men will believe in the supernatural no matter how much you try to
    extinguish such beliefs. Most primitive religions are just full of evil
    spirits and evil Gods. How else to account for all the misery that befalls
    us.

    Our high degree of consciousness causes us to be aware of death and
    oblivion. Evolution counteracted this realization by giving us the
    propensity to religion. All of literature and history confirm this over and
    over. Simply put, man cannot live without religion. It is wired into our
    brains. We will believe in the supernatural no matter what.

    Quoted message said:

    He gives the example of the Lancet Fluke, asking, "Did you ever wonder
    why ants have the habit of crawling up to the top of a blade of grass
    and staying there? It's not adaptive behavior, because they're NOT
    looking for sunshine, or for food, or for a mate. It's because the
    Lancet Fluke, a parasitic worm, has invaded their brains and modified
    their brain proteins so as to force them to engage in this behavior.
    The Lancet Fluke needs to be ingested by a sheep and lodge in its
    intestinal tract as part of its reproductive cycle, so it needs to
    locate itself where this is likely to happen. The ant is just a
    vehicle to effectuate the propagation of the Lancet Fluke. The ant's
    behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with perpetuation of the ant's
    progeny, but instead with perpetuation of the Lancet Fluke's progeny.
    Religion has also taken on a life force of its own, and its
    perpetuation has nothing to do with perpetuation of the human race but
    instead only with the perpetuation of religion itself, and for its own
    sake.

    How the hell can religion exist outside of human consciousness! Are you
    crazy?

    Human consciousness has changed everything forever. We are not ants and
    cannot ever be. Most animals operate on the level of instincts which are
    adapted for their survival no matter how stupid we think those instincts
    are. Whatever works in nature works and that is all that matters. However,
    we humans are slightly outside of nature due to our consciousness (based on
    speech which in turn permits us to think abstractly). Maybe we should envy
    the chimps who do not really have this ability.

    I do not believe the chimps are capable of waging warfare like we humans
    are. That is because they are not able to think abstractly like we do. Only
    humans engage in warfare which is a murderous will to kill those with whom
    we disagree about one thing or another.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  8. Quoted message said:

    ??

    I enjoyed the post, though provoking

    Quoted message said:

    Don't you mean "connote" instead of "denote"?

    Yes, ha, the more i thought of it, connote would be much more
    appropriate

    Quoted message said:

    The term "hard-wired" may be taken to suggest a hard-wireR, but
    colloquially it's understood to simply mean "inherent," whether by
    conscious design or a fluke of nature.

    agreed

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, such a genesis as you propose is plausible given humanity's
    awareness of its utter helplessness in life.

    perceived "utter helplessness", people tend to be a bit melodramatic
    don't you think?

    Quoted message said:

    The question remains: what do we "do" about this desire for security?

    Do nothing. There is no security in life when something as certain as
    death looms around each corner. Perhaps the belief in afterlife or some
    form of it is a clinging to the desire for life itself, or atleast some
    form. The desire not to cease.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where is the afformentioned faith directed? Faith in an idea/concept or
    faith in oneself and the assurance that one's belief is indeed the
    truth? Do the texts elaborate on this?

    Come again?

    You mentioned the buddhist texts speaking of faith. Where is the faith
    directed? faith in an idea? or faith in oneself?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Agreed, but God(etc.) and religion give people the direction they have
    previously lacked (or so they believe).

    But this is just the thing: what does one now do, knowing better?

    I mean, it's like you've fed yourself junk food all along, which, while
    not poison, isn't exactly the most nutritious things to eat, either.
    Okay, so now what? Likewise, the need for some kind of "security"
    remains...what's to be done about it?

    I'll ponder this question a bit more, expect a reply. Once again great
    post.

  9. Quoted message said:

    <SNIP>

    perceived "utter helplessness", people tend to be a bit melodramatic
    don't you think?

    I agree with your generalization, but do not think it applies in this
    instance. For all humanity's accomplishments, there is much we as a
    race cannot affect, never mind individuals. In the face of death and
    destruction, it's tempting to imagine otherwise -- or do you begrudge
    anesthesia for the dying?

    Quoted message said:

    Do nothing. There is no security in life when something as certain as
    death looms around each corner. Perhaps the belief in afterlife or some
    form of it is a clinging to the desire for life itself, or atleast some
    form. The desire not to cease.

    Doing nothing seems to mean to continue the desire. But merely
    intellectualizing seems not much better in the long-run, either. Is
    simple meditation and focusing on one's breath the solution of this
    need for security?

    Quoted message said:

    You mentioned the buddhist texts speaking of faith. Where is the faith
    directed? faith in an idea? or faith in oneself?

    "Faith" is my word for this nameless state...I can only imagine it as a
    state of faith or grace...to live and not worry at all about
    anything...even now I wonder about what to do at the gym later, and
    where to go for dinner tonight, and trying to figure out when I'll go
    to bed (don't want to do it too close to dinner), and what I shall do
    in the meantime (being that it'll likely be late, practicing piano
    might disturb the neighbor next door)...etc.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll ponder this question a bit more, expect a reply. Once again great
    post.

    It's not like I'm worried about not waking up one day to troll usenet,
    heh heh, but this desire for "security" translates into all the
    thousand-and-one little things of day-to-day living, and I'd just like
    to know how to get away from that frame of mind. I'm not a worry-wort,
    I don't think, but...you know what it is? I've been reading a couple
    of "adventure books" where folks just simply went on a journey
    somewhere for a year..."Off the Rails" and "The Road That Has No End,"
    to be exact...and I'm just like, hmm, why can't I do that? What's
    holding me back? Just why am I afraid??

  10. Quoted message said:

    I agree with your generalization, but do not think it applies in this
    instance. For all humanity's accomplishments, there is much we as a
    race cannot affect, never mind individuals. In the face of death and
    destruction, it's tempting to imagine otherwise -- or do you begrudge
    anesthesia for the dying?

    No, of course not, they have their own right.

    Quoted message said:

    Doing nothing seems to mean to continue the desire. But merely
    intellectualizing seems not much better in the long-run, either. Is
    simple meditation and focusing on one's breath the solution of this
    need for security?

    Good point

    Quoted message said:

    "Faith" is my word for this nameless state...I can only imagine it as a
    state of faith or grace...to live and not worry at all about
    anything...even now I wonder about what to do at the gym later, and
    where to go for dinner tonight, and trying to figure out when I'll go
    to bed (don't want to do it too close to dinner), and what I shall do
    in the meantime (being that it'll likely be late, practicing piano
    might disturb the neighbor next door)...etc.

    Yes, i'd call it grace. but then again what do i know, i'm only a
    beginner and 18 years of age...I'm meditating on this tonight, tommorow
    i'll post a response.

  11. "nget" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Edward Dolan said:

    "nget" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Edward Dolan Wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > I do not believe the chimps are capable of waging warfare like we
    > humans
    > are. That is because they are not able to think abstractly like we


    do.

    Quoted message said:

    > Only
    > humans engage in warfare which is a murderous will to kill those


    with

    Quoted message said:

    > whom
    > we disagree about one thing or another.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    > aka
    > Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
    http://www.janegoodall.org/jane/
    In 1974 Jane goodall was in Gombe doing research on primates. She
    recorded what is now called the "four year war" that occured between
    non human primates. The war was not up to par with what men are


    capable

    Quoted message said:

    of but it was a brutal war. It suprised me to learn that the chimps


    also

    Quoted message said:

    went on hunting trips to kill wild pigs to add meat to their diet.

    Warfare requires planning which I don't think the chimps are capable
    of. It
    may that those chimps in the Goodall study were just in too close a
    proximity to one another. But the damn chimps are smarter than we give
    them
    credit for. The lack of language is the critical factor as you simply
    cannot
    think without language nor can you have any refined emotions.

    A really great experiment would be to take a human child from birth
    and
    raise him without any human contact. I think you would end up with a
    creature not much different than a chimp. This experiment has never yet
    been
    done in the entire history of mankind. The so-called 'wild boy' studies
    were
    all extremely flawed.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

    Why would we want to study some 'wild boy' when for the last 30 years
    we have had a low land gorilla named Koko to talk to us in sign
    language? Koko can make her own sentences from her 1000 words in her
    vocabulary. Her IQ is between 70 and 90 on the human scale.
    It was years ago that I last went to the zoo and I marveled at the
    large python but it was the primates that haunt me to this day. Why
    must we lock up these creatures that are in so many ways just like us?
    I think there could be more than just pure instinct at play here. As
    long as humans are the dominant species, who will take us to task for
    what we do?

    Mark

    Mark, I simply can't stand to see the chimps in a zoo. It is like I am
    looking at my own reflection.

    Nevertheless, every species is unique, especially when you get to the higher
    mammals. We are more like the chimps than we are to any other primates, but
    still we are sufficiently different from them. The thing is that we humans
    developed speech and hence language. This enables us to think abstractly and
    in very complex ways. The chimps simply cannot do this.

    Are our language abilities due to our larger brain size and/or our vocal
    cords. Perhaps both as evolution works to develop that which will ensure
    survival above all else. Primitive man needed a very large brain in order
    to survive in a world of fearsome creatures. Our brains are ideally adapted
    for hunting in groups (like a pack of wolves) and this is an extremely
    complex kind of behavior. I always marvel at how my working class friends
    just love to hunt. They are truly doing what we are best adapted to do.

    Most 'wild boy' studies have been flawed because in those few rare cases it
    has been impossible to determine if they were brain damaged (retarded) or
    not. If they were in fact retarded, then we can't learn anything about what
    a human would be like if raised without any human contact whatsoever.

    Every social scientist who has ever lived would love to conduct an
    experiment where a human child would be raised without any human contact. In
    other words, raised without the benefit of speech and language. This is the
    "forbidden experiment" and anyone who would attempt it would be branded a
    monster, worse than a Dr. Frankenstein!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.