Marin Mill Valley, Sirrus Comp, Advanti Blade, MeridaT4/5



alheng

New Member
Feb 14, 2004
7
0
0
I am looking for a flat bar road bike and have narrowed it down to this lot.

Do any of you have one?

Do you like it?

What would you suggest?
 

alheng

New Member
Feb 14, 2004
7
0
0
Originally posted by flyingdutch
Have you checked out the seriously sexy Black Giant Perigree:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/03...ear=2004&bikesection=8789&range=47&model=9768

or the Trek 1200:
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=4&a=333

Thanks for the pointer. Will look at those two as well.

Of the lot, which is best in terms of quality?

Maybe I should also give some info on my size and riding patterns!

I am heavy, 85 kg.

I ride mainly on paved roads and on paved track.

I don't cover much distance, maybe 10 - 15 km every other day.

Been riding MTB with slicks for the last 10 years, but would like to start doubling my distances.
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
"I am heavy, 85 kg"

Who you callin' heavy??? Im only a couple under you!

Havent gone thru the specs on em all. You may find they are all fairly similar but with a few tweaks in wheels, RearDerailleur (cos that's wot everyone notices. be sure to compare to rest of bike's bits), BB (cos you cant see it).

Where are you?
 

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
0
0
43
>Originally posted by alheng
>I am heavy, 85 kg.

Hi, I am heavier, 100kg ;-)

>I don't cover much distance, maybe 10 - 15 km every other day.
>Been riding MTB with slicks for the last 10 years, but would like >to start doubling my distances.

Why can't you continue to ride your MTB over those distances?
Is it uncomfortable? Have you tried it yet?

I was riding my mtb up to about 80k's. The only reason I didn't
do longer rides was due to the fact I used to ride in boxer shorts
and pants - mucho chaffo!! :)

Unless it doesn't fit you comfortably, the MTB should be fine for
those distances. Of course, don't let me stop you buying a new
bike.. new bikes rule!! :D

hippy
 

alheng

New Member
Feb 14, 2004
7
0
0
Originally posted by hippy
>Originally posted by alheng
>I am heavy, 85 kg.

Hi, I am heavier, 100kg ;-)

>I don't cover much distance, maybe 10 - 15 km every other day.
>Been riding MTB with slicks for the last 10 years, but would like >to start doubling my distances.

Why can't you continue to ride your MTB over those distances?
Is it uncomfortable? Have you tried it yet?

I was riding my mtb up to about 80k's. The only reason I didn't
do longer rides was due to the fact I used to ride in boxer shorts
and pants - mucho chaffo!! :)

Unless it doesn't fit you comfortably, the MTB should be fine for
those distances. Of course, don't let me stop you buying a new
bike.. new bikes rule!! :D

hippy


Actually you are right about my old bike being good enough, but my wife has agreed to do a little riding with me, so we need a second bike and this was an opportunity to upgrade.

Flying Dutch I am in Singapore now, but will be relocating to Perth in a couple of weeks time.
 

wassupdawg

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
68
0
0
Originally posted by alheng
Actually you are right about my old bike being good enough, but my wife has agreed to do a little riding with me, so we need a second bike and this was an opportunity to upgrade.

Flying Dutch I am in Singapore now, but will be relocating to Perth in a couple of weeks time.

You might want to seriously consider buying over there as prices can be much better over there, from what friends tell me (cuzz is awaiting a new trek from Singapore at the mo).

do some comparison shopping online between here/there. If you do buy over there, hang onto the box from the shop but make sure the bike looks used
(maybe put a manky drink bottle in holder and a sticker or two) otherwise they might try hitting you with import duties when you get here. If you explain youre moving you will be fine!
Personally Id go the Perigree, but Im a sucker for good looks;)
 

alheng

New Member
Feb 14, 2004
7
0
0
Originally posted by wassupdawg
You might want to seriously consider buying over there as prices can be much better over there, from what friends tell me (cuzz is awaiting a new trek from Singapore at the mo).

do some comparison shopping online between here/there. If you do buy over there, hang onto the box from the shop but make sure the bike looks used
(maybe put a manky drink bottle in holder and a sticker or two) otherwise they might try hitting you with import duties when you get here. If you explain youre moving you will be fine!
Personally Id go the Perigree, but Im a sucker for good looks;)

Only problem is that I have little choice here for a flat bar bike.

Available here are the Trek 1000 -1500
Marin Mill Valley
Giant Perigree

I like the Mill Valley, but can't find any info about it on the net other then the manufacturer's specs.

Also one report of the 03 Marin Highway One whose frame I think has become the 04 Mill Valley and the there seems to be a problen with the carbon fork causing brake chatter and squeeling after 9 months of very hard riding.

The Trek 1500 with a flat bar would be nice, but it is very expensive.

Havent seen the Perigree yet. I will buy here and bring it along with me when I move.
 

Similar threads